Best Vitamins/Supplements For Type 2 Diabetes??

caring-for-mum

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello everyone, I was wondering if anyone would have any suggestions on what the best vitamins and supplements to take for type 2 diabetes?

My mum use to take Berocca but I am not sure if they are suitable for a diabetic?

My mum is very run down and looks "washed out". Have you any suggestions on what I could buy to help "pick her up".

Thank you all ever so much.

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello. I take the centra multivitamin for the over 60s and a vitamin d supplement which is the sunshine vitamin but Im not sure if hese woud help. :)

Mushroom

Google 'Vitamins for Diabetics. There are loads. I used to take a specific one bought from Tesco. Didn't notice any difference apart from the money I as losing in buying them. Now just stick to a range of foods and getting out in the sunshine for my vitamin D.

Reactions: 2 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
depends if she is deficient in any vitamins, D and B are UK common, but I've also seen toxic results from too much in blood tests. I would always start with a blood test and go from there.
I take the usual multi-vitamin, but they don't treat a real deficiency.

As well as the blood test. I would look at diet and blood glucose BG control, Does she use a home meter?

Harpar

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Agree with Jack412 on this, it would be sensible to get basic blood tests done as its not generally a good idea to try to treat major deficiencies without medical supervision because of the high doses and interactions and possible toxicity etc. But if everything checks out as normal, but she is still a bit rundown, then just taking a good quality multi-vit, plus a bit extra magnesium could help to prevent her getting deficiencies, particularly over the winter months. Also take a good look at her diet, make sure that she is getting enough fresh vegetables and enough protein. The other thing to look out for is whether she has any digestive problems, maybe she isn't really absorbing the nutrients from her food adequately, in which case she would need to have further investigation by her doctor.

Reactions: 2 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I'm not aware of any supplement that helps with most people's diabetes. There will be exceptions for those wit specific medical problems, but apart from that I'm not sure that currently you will find anything that stands up to examination?