Smoking

Janiept

Expert
Yes thanks for that Aldebran, I get what you're saying about not picking at food so not gaining weight for that reason but I do know a couple of people who have stopped smoking and been very strict about not eating any differently and yet still gained weight due to the slowing down of the metabolism,
Do you know whether the metabolism slows down when you switch to vaping?

B

badcat

I used to smoke heavily prior to diabetes diagnosis at which point I nearly lost a leg because of gp mistaking gangrene for bruising!.
that and being told by a consultant that smoking is 2-10 times more dangerous for a diabetic as a non diabetic gave me the strength of will to stop after 20 years of trying

johnboy412000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Arrogant and ignorant people.
My appetite hasnt changed since i gave up smoking i still eat the same sized portions.I feel a whole lot healthier for getting shut of the cigs.Done 19 months now.I started on e-cigs the sort that you plug in to the usb on the computer and charge that way.They were expensive though at £5.99p from Sainsburys for 5 refills.Have looked at the new sort of e-cigs and they are very expensive i find it cheaper to buy cartridges for my Nicorette inhalator.Rowlands pharmacy online do offers i get 3 for the price of 2 each box has 20 in it so thats 60 carts for £46 and the best part is e-cigs are banned from such as bus and rail stations and buses and trains.Some other places like Wetherspoons also ban em.The Inhalator isnt banned.Plus theres no chance of it blowing up as it dont need charging.

rden66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Gave up smoking at the beginning of June, I used e- cigs for 8 weeks then stooped them as I didn't want to replace one habit for another.
Can't say I've noticed any difference in blood sugar levels. Health wise I feel a million times better.

Reactions: 3 people

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
Well folks im ashamed to say i smoke.7 to 10 a day.
I stopped for two years and several six months periods over the years.
I know the risks,I never smoke in the house,I stand out in the cold and the rain on my own,how silly is that.
Husband and family get on to me,I have even smoked in secret,husband stopped 20years ago.
I started as a teenager when it was fashionable.
Anyway after reading this thread I have been out to buy e lites,I know its replacing nicotine with nicotine ,and I know I want to smoke to stop me wanting one.
My sister in law stopped smoking at age 83 after a chest infection,I asked her if she felt better for not smoking,she said she felt miserable..
People who dont smoke dont know how addictive the nicotine drug is,and its hard to beat.
Well done all you people who have stopped.
Wish me luck I will try again.

Reactions: 5 people

rden66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Patricia 21. .
I smoked for over 30 years,I never thought I could give up.
E cigs helped me.
I've tried many times before but never managed to get by the one week stage.
Keep trying you'll do it.
It's early days for me '3 month's' but I'm confident that I won't return to it.

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
Thanks for that.
Do you have the e lites?

MrsB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Patricia 21. .
I smoked for over 30 years,I never thought I could give up.
E cigs helped me.
I've tried many times before but never managed to get by the one week stage.
Keep trying you'll do it.
It's early days for me '3 month's' but I'm confident that I won't return to it.
Well done all of u that managed to quit. And good luck to those trying.

I hang my head in shame and say that I was diagnosed at 13, started smoking at 15, quit at 30 when pregnant, started again at 33 after a bereavement (5 yrs ago), Broke my ankle badly 3 weeks ago and the surgeon asked if I smoked (no of course not). Told me it would slow healing even further and possibly not heal properly at all if I did. Freaked me to the point where I have not smoked since 5th august and have not even thought about it. Much prefer having 2 feet to having a fag!!!!!!! :D

Anie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good luck to anyone trying to give up smoking, it's not easy, but after I had given up I found I liked the money to spend on things I couldn't have afforded when I was smoking .

Reactions: 4 people

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
Patsy B ,you must think Im the only smoker on this forum.
Thanks for posting,its given me a wake up call.
Show your Mum the posts.

Reactions: 2 people

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I stopped smoking in January. Lots of reasons but one of the main ones was that smokers are 3-4 times more likely to develop retinopathy. I had laser treatment last year and would really like to avoid needing it again. I read that after you stop you will gain 4-6 lbs in weight even if you don't increase your food intake. Once your body adjusts to life with cigarettes the weight should fall away on its own.

Reactions: 3 people

johnboy412000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Arrogant and ignorant people.
Its not easy i know i smoked for 40 years and i gave up cos i was coughing a lot which i decided to take as a warning if i wanted to live longer then i had to give up.Not only that but my bank account was always going in the Red which was worrying as well.I was a heavy smoker rolling my own most of the time and spending £40 per week on the damned things.I went to a stop smoking clinic and they gave me patches and an inhalator and cartridges every 2 weeks.After 14 weeks the help ceased and i was on my own.I still carried on with the carts when they ran out i started buying my own from Rowlands online pharmacy i get 60 for £46 and use 1 per day.I know ive replaced one habit with another but this way im getting nicotine and not the 4000 plus chemicals that are in ordinary cigs and im better off money wise.Ive often gazed at cigs on the shelf when in the news agents i just think to myself how i used to buy them damned things and how much better i feel without them.If you are determined enough you can do it.Think of the benefits to your health by giving up and what you can do with the money saved.Im approaching 20 months now.While smokers are stood outside in all weathers getting their nicotine hit im sat indoors all cosy getting mine.

Be careful with the E-cigs there are laws now that you cant use em in such as bus and train stations and on buses and trains and a lot of places wont let you use em inside their premises Wetherspoons being one of em.

Reactions: 2 people