Hypos - how do you deal with them & what are the first signs

hawalkden

I’ve just had my ‘first’ hypo since being diagnosed and my symptoms where:
• Shivering
• Shaking
• Feeling really hungry
• Sweating

I knew how to deal with the situation as I’ve seen my father who’s had type one diabetes for 15 years. I had three glucose tablets and ate a mars bar, even though i know chocolate isn't the best think, i just wanted it and then i had some ceral.
Afterwards I felt really tired and hunger.

amycakes

MY lowest so far is 3.9 and all i felt was shakey...should i be feeling worse than this?! only been diagnosed for 8 days tho!

my nurse gave me 'GLUCO TABS' from boots or pharmacy they are cheap and come ina plastic tube so no powdery bits, orange or rasberry flavour!

Amy

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
Oh you lucky lucky people :(. More often than not my first sign of a hypo is my pump alarm going off. But occasionally I get physical symptoms too, all along the lines of previous posts and in differing combinations. Over the years I've tried various remedies, never liked Dextrose or Lucozade tablets, and I've heard that chocolate takes a relatively long time to do its stuff, which I have certainly found to be true. What definitely works for me is a 200ml bottle of sugary drink such as Fruit Shoot or Capri-Sun, the advantage being that in liquid form it's likely to get to the blood much more quickly, and the taste is not completely repellent. Very sorry about the outrageous product placement :wink:.

farmerfudge

I have a theory, and it is only a theory mind, that caffeine based sugary drinks are faster than non-caffeine drinks at treating hypos. :?:

sugarybibs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
moaning people who have nothing wrong with them
ive had type 1 diabetes for 39 years and remember when i got taken to hospital as a teenager for two weeks to get stabilised and one day i was walking around ward my tongue tingling really bad and my hands shaking this was my very first hypo.It was awful and doctor said we gave you extra insulin to see if you knew what to experience when you have a hypo.now some of my symptons are my heart pounding really loud in my ears,sweating,going pale,sometimes i see like halos things round my eyes.I dont get all at once but i know my sugars are low.Sometimes they are that low it is impossiblt to test your blood (how can you test when you are so low you dont even know how you are going to get some food or liquid down you).I think (well for me anyway)ribena is the best in them little cartons.What i hate the worst though is when you have a hypo and eat and drink something to bring it higher you end up really high and then feel exhausted.ive just read that some of you have been able to get hypostopgel from your doctors does anyone know what this is as ive never heard of it :?:

LizzieP

I think Hypostop is now called Glucogel and you can get your doctor to prescribe it. But it tastes VILE! (in my humble opinion! :) ) I stick to lucozade. It's just works so amazingly quickly for me. Skittles and fruit pastels are good too. And they taste lovely, of course. So yes, you have to be careful not to overdo it!

sugarybibs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
moaning people who have nothing wrong with them
Thanks Lizziep i think ill stick to my ribena and not bother with hypostop!!!i thought it was something new and didnt know anything about it.
:roll: :roll: