How do you discipline yourself?

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh, in addition to my previous post, the headachy horrible feeling I get through overindulging in carb food soon reminds me to lay off it.

Reactions: 2 people

FantomPoet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I first started to low carb I found it hard to stay on the straight and narrow. As time has passed however I have little in the way of carbs in the house so am no longer tempted as by the time you've made the effort to go out for something the logic part of my brain kicks in :)

Now I look at a potato and wonder why anyone would have tried eating a root those thousands of years ago, its not exactly the most inspiring thing as an object ;)

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you tried keeping a food diary? There is something about knowing I have to commit it to paper that really helps me say "No". Also, when you feel tempted, remind yourself that low carbing is your choice and remind yourself why you chose it. Nothing that is ultimately bad for us is a treat. Treating yourself means being good to yourself and that includes not having to beat yourself up afterwards when you fall off the wagon. Stick with it, remember, if at first you don't succeed...

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@cold ethyl . You cant go to Whitby and not eat fish and chips!! I hope you enjoyed your day out. Did you resist or did you eat them? :)

Reactions: 4 people

jessie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know what you mean, but I don't think people really understand if they haven't been there. I often feel like people think I'm being faddy or that I want to be skinny!

Pipp, you must have more will power than me, I start and I can't stop!

x

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I know what you mean, but I don't think people really understand if they haven't been there. I often feel like people think I'm being faddy or that I want to be skinny!

Pipp, you must have more will power than me, I start and I can't stop!

x
No, I do the not being able to stop too. It can take ages, but ultimately it is the feeling bloated, and the thought that I have the solution that eventually wins through. In fact, I would suggest my will power is weak to succumb so quickly in the first place.

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I wondered that too.

I got a portion of haddock and chips ( not a very generous one ) and had the fish ( with it being haddock it was only battered on one side as it came with skin on) and as it had thin batter coating. Had about 10 small chips ( cooked in beef dripping which I don't really like and very greasy). BS was 7.1 at 2 hrs and that was 2,hrs immobile in car so would probably have been lower if I'd been on bike between eating and testing. Tbh I wasn't fussed and they weren't everything I remembered them being. They did make me feel like eating more than I would normally so I had bowl,of home made soup to fill me for supper. As a treat I can think of things I'd rather have next time, like chips and Chinese curry sauce.

Reactions: 3 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I just fancied something quick and simple ... packet of crisps maybe but noooooo.
I put ten minutes effort in and just thoroughly enjoyed .....

slices of raw carrot celery onion blueberries flat peach sliced very thin pickled ginger ... garlic olive oil mustard yoghurt and chillies and bloody nice it was too!
Washed down with a cup of green tea with half a lemon squeezed into it.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I just fancied something quick and simple ... packet of crisps maybe but noooooo.
I put ten minutes effort in and just thoroughly enjoyed .....

slices of raw carrot celery onion blueberries flat peach sliced very thin pickled ginger ... garlic olive oil mustard yoghurt and chillies and bloody nice it was too!
Washed down with a cup of green tea with half a lemon squeezed into it.
I sometimes can't believe it's me typing stuff like that!!!!!
Six foot three shaved head full of beef and attitude and here I am on green tea and leaves!

Reactions: 10 people

modesty007

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Babybel cheese a great snack, easy to carry around and already nicely packed. Otherwise for snacking "Awfully posh" cracklings dipped in mayo sometimes spiced with some garlic.

Sula

Low carbing (about 100g a day) really really works for me, it makes day to day life easier and me happier! But I regularly fall off the wagon, in style, and struggle to get back on track. Today I've eaten 4 small chocolate cakes and some chips. How do you discipline yourself? I really struggle with picnics, parties, holidays, peer pressure... it doesn't take much!

x
I low carbed religiously for 3 years after being diagnosed and everything was fine, I fell off the waggon for the last three years and everything seemed OK and I kidded myself maybe I could eat normally but just to be on the safe side I had better get back on target, but I just could not do it. Then 4 weeks ago I had a heart attack and I was told it was my second one it seems I have had one before. The heart attack was like terrible indigestion which I had experienced frequently, so did not pay too much attention until I had the heavy pressing pain going through to my back, I had the presence of mind to take an asprin and it probably saved my life. I have low,low carbed since and I can assure you there is nothing like a heart attack to keep you firmly low carbing, food ceases to be important any more.

Reactions: 4 people

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I say to myself ,why should mess up all the effort I put into improving my health for a food "quickie". In the beginning its tough I admit ,but as time goes by it gets easier and easier and then effortless.

In the beginning just turn your back on the crisps or move to another place in the room etc.

alliebee

I recently read the section diabetes complications...a member named Kman has posted a heart wrentching account of what has happened to him by not keeping control...it honestly made me cry...I don't want the same to happen to me...it is now that simple

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I got a portion of haddock and chips ( not a very generous one ) and had the fish ( with it being haddock it was only battered on one side as it came with skin on) and as it had thin batter coating. Had about 10 small chips ( cooked in beef dripping which I don't really like and very greasy). BS was 7.1 at 2 hrs and that was 2,hrs immobile in car so would probably have been lower if I'd been on bike between eating and testing. Tbh I wasn't fussed and they weren't everything I remembered them being. They did make me feel like eating more than I would normally so I had bowl,of home made soup to fill me for supper. As a treat I can think of things I'd rather have next time, like chips and Chinese curry sauce.
nothing wrong with 7.1 at 2 hr..if everyone had that, this forum would be empty:)