Anyone tried berberine?

zazoopits

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've just recently read about berberine and how it naturally can lower blood sugar, works like metformin apparently! Can anyone tell me if they've heard of it or tried it and if so what did it do for you? I've sent off for some so I hope it works! Many thanks.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

Never heard of it before, but read about it just now on wiki, web MD, a couple of other sites and this study:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2410097/

It looks interesting, with comparable effects to metformin for lowering BG.
And (curiously) similar effects on the guts - although these pass within 1 month.

Dosage seems difficult to decide. The study showing lowered BG levels only ran for 3 months, so no data on long term treatment. Also, a herbalist once told me that no herb retains its efficacy if used for too long (over 5 months or so). She suggested that all herbs be used for 3-4 months with a 3 month resting period before recommending use. No idea if other herbalists advise the same...

Also, I would be wary of its anti-biotic effect. Would need far more info on what types of bugs it kills... Might destroy the friendly ones in the gut.

Thanks for bringing it to my attention though.
Certainly one to watch.

Reactions: 2 people

zazoopits

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

Never heard of it before, but read about it just now on wiki, web MD, a couple of other sites and this study:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2410097/

It looks interesting, with comparable effects to metformin for lowering BG.
And (curiously) similar effects on the guts - although these pass within 1 month.

Dosage seems difficult to decide. The study showing lowered BG levels only ran for 3 months, so no data on long term treatment. Also, a herbalist once told me that no herb retains its efficacy if used for too long (over 5 months or so). She suggested that all herbs be used for 3-4 months with a 3 month resting period before recommending use. No idea if other herbalists advise the same...

Also, I would be wary of its anti-biotic effect. Would need far more info on what types of bugs it kills... Might destroy the friendly ones in the gut.

Thanks for bringing it to my attention though.
Certainly one to watch.
Thanks brunneria, that's a wise word of caution, I'm always taken in by whatever new thing I seem to read about so thanks for your wisdom! X

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've recently started a berberine supplement and thus far only taking 1 a day before breakfast (the recommended dosage is 1 taken 15 minutes before each meal). It seems to have the effect I was hoping for - stopping my incessant liver dumps/gluconeogenesis, so I'm pretty happy with that. Early days though and will so how I get on longer term.

A typical day for me used to be getting my lowest reading after my morning walk, then if I went for more than a few hours without eating, a liver dump would bring me back up into the 7's. Now I'm mostly staying in the 5's up till my next meal so pretty pleased with that :cool:

Reactions: 5 people

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Keep us informed, @Indy51 ? I must say I'm tempted myself - might help the dawn phenomenon...
Will do - thus far my fasting BG is erratic as ever - I had a couple of days in the 5's and got excited, but then went back to my 'all over the shop' levels again.

zazoopits

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've recently started a berberine supplement and thus far only taking 1 a day before breakfast (the recommended dosage is 1 taken 15 minutes before each meal). It seems to have the effect I was hoping for - stopping my incessant liver dumps/gluconeogenesis, so I'm pretty happy with that. Early days though and will so how I get on longer term.

A typical day for me used to be getting my lowest reading after my morning walk, then if I went for more than a few hours without eating, a liver dump would bring me back up into the 7's. Now I'm mostly staying in the 5's up till my next meal so pretty pleased with that :cool:
Really interesting!

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
An update on berberine. The initial results were great - lowered BG on all readings. However, I've now started having very similar symptoms to the longer term symptoms I had when taking metformin - indigestion/heartburn, stomach pains, upper GI pain and burping. The increasing stomach pain has me concerned that the bleeding gastritis that followed metformin use is happening with the berberine - which I guess would be possible if the herb affects the same pathways that metformin does in my particular physiology.

So, now going to take a break from it in the hope the gastric symptoms subside.

Bloody annoying because the BG effect was quite stunning and much better than the result I originally had when taking 1x500mg metformin.

Rats :arghh::eek:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bummer!

I actually bumbled around a few more websites and ended up ordering a pot, trial basis. Thought I would give it a week on 400mg 1/day, see what happens, then continue for a month. Took the first one last night.

Insulin resistence is my main problem, so it would be a godsend...

Metformin didn't upset my tum, but it did give me an unbearable taste in my mouth.

I'll keep you I nformed.

Reactions: 4 people

Jill the tt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
unkindness
when we were in Goa we went to a spice farm they use curry leaves to lower bs, but i can't remember whether it was the male or female leaves, i have it recorded on dvd , when i have the time i'll find it and post what was said

Reactions: 4 people

paganess03

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
sounds interesting, can anyone post links to buy this suppliment plz?

BETH@RGU

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
NOTHING
Hi, everyone
I have been away from the forum for a while with a dose of the poor me s
I have started to take more protein in the powder form and it has lowered my bg dramaticly after meals when added to the meal or as a drink before
meals I feel good but still a bit scared in case i am doing the wrong thing even though I am getting good results,
I have also started on chromium picolinate so I am not sure if it is this or the whey protein that is doing the job as I started both on the same day,
Any insights would be very welcome.
My early bg is between 7 and 8 in the morning
After breakfast which is yogurt and fruit with 30grms protein mixed through
My bg will go up to about 9.5 after this it down hill all the way to the 5s and 6s,
I still take my metformin in the morning with 200mgs of chromium and then the metformin at night.
Beth

Jill the tt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
unkindness
Hi, everyone
I have been away from the forum for a while with a dose of the poor me s
I have started to take more protein in the powder form and it has lowered my bg dramaticly after meals when added to the meal or as a drink before
meals I feel good but still a bit scared in case i am doing the wrong thing even though I am getting good results,
I have also started on chromium picolinate so I am not sure if it is this or the whey protein that is doing the job as I started both on the same day,
Any insights would be very welcome.
My early bg is between 7 and 8 in the morning
After breakfast which is yogurt and fruit with 30grms protein mixed through
My bg will go up to about 9.5 after this it down hill all the way to the 5s and 6s,
I still take my metformin in the morning with 200mgs of chromium and then the metformin at night.
Beth

hi Beth, i took the chromium picolinate, i read it helped stop carb cravings, only took it for a few weeks, i read not to take more the 6months , if your numbers are good don't stress, you'll just make yourself feel worse

BETH@RGU

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
NOTHING
Ok,
Thanks Jill,
I have sent away for celon cinnimon caps and should get them on Wednesday.
I just wish that my morning bg was lower , but you are right I am quite pleased with my bg, I no longer have high 10 s and low 11 s in the morning
So I must be doing something right,
Plus I don't think that I will take anymore chromium as the whey protein fills me up so I don't think that I need both
Thanks again

angelicbaby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
when we were in Goa we went to a spice farm they use curry leaves to lower bs, but i can't remember whether it was the male or female leaves, i have it recorded on dvd , when i have the time i'll find it and post what was said
I wonder if the herb you are talking about is fenugreek. I have started taking this supplement after my evening meal to help with blood sugar. Too early to say whether this is beneficial though.

Jill the tt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
unkindness
I wonder if the herb you are talking about is fenugreek. I have started taking this supplement after my evening meal to help with blood sugar. Too early to say whether this is beneficial though.

no not fenugreek, curry leaves, they can be bought fresh in certain shops, dried ones in tesco, i will post asap, so much to do before our trip