type 1 possible complications for a child

mvatrici

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all, I'm new here, just joined as I am a teacher who began school today and met one of my new 9 year old pupils who has type 1 diabetes and has a pump. His mom is letting him measure his bloods and use his pump on his own for the first time. I am terrified he could get it wrong and was wondering if anyone could tell me the possible complications that could occur in the chance he becomes unwell or makes a mistake. I would like to make sure that i know what could happen in order to prepare myself - I have a little medical knowledge but need to ask someone who might know. Any help would be appreciated.
Michelle

Shell1

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Michelle , I'm Michelle and my daughter Chloe is on a pump she is ten and handled her own pump at 9.any concerns you have I'm sure the child's mum and even his diabetics nurse can come and have a meeting with you and discuss everything,that's what we did we also had a class discussion so Chloe's class new to look out for symptoms of a hypo and they all know where her special box is of orange juice biscuits and spare testing kit ,Chloe test her blood sugar at 11 break 1 dinner and 3 before leaving school if her blood sugar high the pump tells you to correct which hopefully he can do if it's low she's has a orange juice 10mins later checks if stable which is over 4 if it's still under she repeats this process until she is over 4.inbetween these testing times she may also test if feels hypo has done lots of exercise or even if feels high,testing often is your best indicator .i no this all sounds really daunting at first but he will deal with this day in and out and will be very aware even at 9 on what to do as long as you know between 4-7 is what we're aiming for after 7 most pumps give a small correction and under 4 needs treating .chloes diabetic nurse trained all the staff who were in contact with Chloe and I'm sure will come into see you .please don't worry

Reactions: 5 people

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It may be possible to get someone from your pupils health team to explain things to you. Meanwhile you should let him test as often as he needs to. If he feels odd or unwell he should test. If you think he is clammy and acting negatively - test. The danger is when his blood sugars drop below 5 (are you in UK?) Below 5 he needs to make adjustments to the pump to suspend insulin and injest some glucose. Look out for him after Physical Education sessions. Hopefully some parents with children who use a pump will be along soon to offer advice.

Reactions: 2 people

Shell1

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Just to add there is a risk the cannula may come out or blocked and sugars raise into double numbers if corrections are not working and it keeps rising then a call to his mum would be needed and Chloe has a insulin pen at school also to inject if the pump insulin isn't working .in 18months this has never happened but staff no where the injection is how to use and a insulin cartridge is kept in the school fridge .hypos need sugar if problems rising again ring home or worried to extreme 999.if sugars are monitered often has the child has good hypo awareness things are almost always very easily treated and become 2nd nature .

Reactions: 4 people

mvatrici

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks so much for your quick replies, It is very daunting - i just don't want to let something go unnoticed and end up with him in a coma or something. Shell- thanks for sharing - i thought he was too young to take responsibility for this but I have never lived with it or with someone with it, so Im overreacting maybe. But thanks. I will arrange an appointment with his mom to see how best to deal with hypo and hyper possibilities - thanks. I'm hoping I'm just panicking and nothing will happen, but I would prefer to be overcautious and learn how to deal with a possible complication than not. Thanks you so much

Shell1

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Yes defiantly I hope that everyone who cares for my child has this attitude,my little one of to gyhll head for 2nights with school some poor teacher will be checking Chloe's bloods in the night it's taken a lot to trust the teachers to look after her but they have all been great .sometimes school ring even just to check for example "shell her bloods 12 it says to correct is this ok .or her bloods 4.6 but she has hypo symptoms shall I treat ?" I am and I'm sure his parents will be glad to take calls just to reassure u if you question anything for your peace of mind .

mvatrici

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
No, I'm in Ireland. Took your advice and asked the parents to come and demonstrate and talk to myself and the principal. They were only too delighted! Little panic though yesterday as he left his blood glucose monitor in school and i only noticed 30 mins after he left, so i called to ask what should i do and they explained that it was the one he has to keep in school! But obviously they forgot to tell me so when on the phone they agreed to come and meet me and go through it all. But thanks for the advice and stories as it really helped.