All of a suddon lack of appetite after 6 months on LCHF

madusmacus

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
LCHF has worked well for me over the last 6 months HB1AC from 58 down to 36, Fasting from 8.0 down to 4.7 and Weight 118KG down to 109kg BUT...

All of a sudden I've lost all appetite to the point I don't seem to be able to face another LCHF meal.
scrambled eggs and meat seem ok ish.

Might be because my repeated failure to actually cook things that taste nice or the repetitive nature of LCHF

Anyways I have now lost 2.5 kg in last month and in my graphs this is very obvious

Any ideas?

Not sure I can put carbs back into my died so I get addicted again though.
Im on maxed out vitamins so at least im getting some stuff

Last edited by a moderator:

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
LCHF repetetive? What do you actually eat, apart from meat and scrambles eggs?

Reactions: 2 people

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am now getting concerned that LCHF is not as healthy as it is made out to be.
You should adjust your diet accordingly to meet what suits you best without losing your appetite.
You have done so well and don't worry about getting addicted, you're above that now.
Control is the target but you must be happy at the same time.
I went on a vegan type diet and miss my meat, Yet my control is good and I am so happy (miserable sometimes when I see those lamb chops)
Whatever you do do please enjoy your food.:):):) and it's results.

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who interrupt you when you're talking and people who won't listen.
I think the key thing is to have a little of what you enjoy. Mostly, I don't mind LCHF because it's getting me towards my health related targets, but occasionally I get a bit bored and have a day off, or if I'm going away for a weekend, I'll eat what I like. The main thing is that I don't do this all the time and I get back on the wagon again, so overall I still meet my targets.

When it gets boring, I go looking for new recipes or buy a new lunch box or something to make things a bit more fun :)

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have wondered myself why some days another low carb meal seems repetitive in a way that another bacon sandwich for breakfast didn't.. Got to be the psychological addiction to carbs as really spuds with everything or sandwiches everyday are just as monotonous as another salad or whatever. Maybe post a list of what you like and we could come up with some easy recipes based round them?

Reactions: 4 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

Repetitive? I don't think there has ever been a better time to be a low carb diabetic. The internet is heaving with food bloggers and recipe sites, discount supermarkets popping up everywhere selling low carb staple ingredients, rare and exotic ingredients available at the click of a mouse. I love it.

Hope you get your mojo back soon OP.

Reactions: 9 people

madusmacus

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for all the replies

As I mentioned its probably my fault its repetitive but

bacon eggs or steak and sprouts or chops and cauliflower or fish leafy salads
them juggle them up and I end up being bored hehe

I really tried to make "Almond flour stuff like flopsies and pancakes but I all tastes awful and is always binned (MY FAULT IM USELESS)
If I could get this to be tasty it might have helped

I successfully made grated parmesan cheese crisps but I went of them because they were to cheesey :¬)

Anyways... It might just be psychological but I agree with cold ethyl
""low carb meal seems repetitive in a way that another bacon sandwich for breakfast didn't..""

I think there is something in the carbs that's addictive and makes you Want to eat.
Pull this away and I don't want anything anymore.

The nicest stuff I have found to eat is from
http://www.natural-low-carb-store.co.uk/collections/all
But then you have to ad Sprouts and/or cauliflower etc
And you have to read the ingredience carefully some are not that friendly

I don't think I am unhealthy for this either as I force myself to eat stuff and all my stats show major improvements on LCHF

Its Just Weird (Yes I am) hehehe :¬)

P.S. another funny thing is I tried that Livlife low carb bread - I tosted it and it looked nice BUT..
as soon as I accidentally bite into them large seed things - My brain says that's enough of that... its horrid hehe :¬)
madness I tell ya

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Repetitive? I don't think there has ever been a better time to be a low carb diabetic. The internet is heaving with food bloggers and recipe sites, discount supermarkets popping up everywhere selling low carb staple ingredients, rare and exotic ingredients available at the click of a mouse. I love it.

Hope you get your mojo back soon OP.
I like what you say, I am just a bit curious what you regard as high fat being a vegetarian.
I am on a so called vegan diet and I get my fats from avocados etc;
I am just struggling using the words "high fat" simply because most people think it is fatty meat , lumps of cheese and fried food etc;
Thanks,:):):)

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@madusmacus - How low are you going on your carbs, and exactly what is it you are missing?

I've not done too badly in the disenchantment stakes, but then I have an OH who looks after me very well. When we are together I rarely grace the knife block with my presence. During the earlier period after my diagnosis, my OH insisted I make all our meal choices, so that I would be comfortable with what we were eating, and he could learn what was required, without doing lots of research too. Then, I sometimes used to get weary of continually choosing from what was then a reduced list of potentials.

The thing about a bacon sandwich never becoming boring is probably because we probably didn't eat it every day, or almost every day. I think when on auto-pilot/free choice, we probably didn't routinely choose too many more options than we do now, but we could have, if we had wanted to.

Do you find when you're not all that hungry that you lack imagination, or the desire to think of something different?

madusmacus

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
AndBreathe
its really strange that I don't get the "mmmm im hungry best go get something to eat now"
I have progressed to "I am not hungry but I should eat something, but I cant be bothered to make that again" stage

I will be fine im sure.
Maybe its a phase im going through hehe

This thread is just reporting how weird it has become for me

Cheers all :¬)

A

Avocado Sevenfold

I like what you say, I am just a bit curious what you regard as high fat being a vegetarian.
I am on a so called vegan diet and I get my fats from avocados etc;
I am just struggling using the words "high fat" simply because most people think it is fatty meat , lumps of cheese and fried food etc;
Thanks,:):):)
I get fats from coconut oil, avocados, nuts, seeds, peanut butter, olive oil, rapeseed oil. Also non-vegan stuff such as cheese, butter, cream, eggs.

mine

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
i think lchf is not for long term. you have to give yourself a break once in awhile.

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
AndBreathe
its really strange that I don't get the "mmmm im hungry best go get something to eat now"
I have progressed to "I am not hungry but I should eat something, but I cant be bothered to make that again" stage

I will be fine im sure.
Maybe its a phase im going through hehe

This thread is just reporting how weird it has become for me

Cheers all :¬)
I have days like that but then I did before doing LCHF. Then I would get take away. You just need to find some new recipes! Have a look at Jamie Oliver! Not the desserts though! :D

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You haven't started any new medication recently? That has loss of appetite as a side effect?

madusmacus

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
After about 4 weeks is seems I got my mojo back :¬) (Avocado Sevenfold) :¬)

Im kinda looking forward to breakfasts again and lamb shish kebeb with mushrooms and pepper ( without all the carb stuff) is my new favourite

< sharon>

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
extreme hot weather
could easily demolish a chinese large beef curry and rice but alas i cant :( cos im being sensibel

madusmacus

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Even now Im never ravenously hungry but I I found myself looking forward to eggs bacon sausage again

I have no reason why for 4 weeks I lost my appetite almost completely.
No changes to drugs or anything

How very strange - Sometimes you never find out these things :¬)

MMMMMM chinese large beef curry and rice - DOH!!!

P.S. actually having read this again - I am on a NEW! Generic version of Atorvastatin
its possible the last different version I was on had some effect but I bloody well hope not
my doctor changes his drugs way to much IMO almost every repeat prescription

< sharon>

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
extreme hot weather
pork scratchings are the answer to hunger pangs but poor appetitite is do to with lc hf getting boring