Testing Marks on Fingers

insulinaddict

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi! I would like to ask you all for some advice on the little dots that are left behind on your fingers after you have tested your blood sugar. The fingers from which I test most regularly are covered in them little blood dots, left behind by the lancet/ needle. I'm sure you are all familiar to these too! I would love to know if you have any tips on how to treat them, how to soothe them or how to get rid of them completely. Is there anything you do personally? Are there any good creams or moisturisers out there that you have used for your own?

Many thanks for reading and (hopefully) replying!

Emily :) x

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I'd be interested too. I'm T2, but I do test regularly, and tend to use one finger. It's now got a tattoo pattern all over it. (Maybe I should concentrate on trying to draw a smilie face?)

Reactions: 4 people

insulinaddict

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'd be interested too. I'm T2, but I do test regularly, and tend to use one finger. It's now got a tattoo pattern all over it. (Maybe I should concentrate on trying to draw a smilie face?)
hahaha, I understand what you mean! Is there anything that you've tried before? I remember once when I was admitted into hospital with a stomach bug and a really lovely nurse bathed my fingers everyday! So lovely!

Reactions: 2 people

insulinaddict

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use Argan Oil on my hands and forearms, also my feet and lower legs.
I don't have the dots you mention though, although the skin on my fingers does feel a little rough if I forget to use the oil at night.
Debs o_O
Thankyou for the advice, perhaps I should give it a go! Do you think any regular hand moisturiser would work? x

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
It's never really worried me, and I never really though about anything on it in case it altered the reading when it was absorbed into my skin.
I suppose I could use my other hand, and try a moisturiser during the break?.

insulinaddict

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's never really worried me, and I never really though about anything on it in case it altered the reading when it was absorbed into my skin.
I suppose I could use my other hand, and try a moisturiser during the break?.
Yes, it might work. It just seems that I've used countless creams and the dots have never gone away! I suppose it as to be expected when puncturing the skin; it's just that as soon as one heals, another is formed! Inevitable I suppose :( x

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Detective checking prints at the scene of a crime ... it's that diabetic gang again!

Reactions: 6 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I've decided.
I spend so much time lifting toilets, cleaning sewers, pulling cables under splintering floorboards, pulling carpet off gripper rods around toilet pans, (uughhh!) generally sticking things I don't want to stick into my fingers, I am going for a diabetes smilie face, tattooed onto my third finger on my left hand.
Unless insulinaddict can help me find the answer.
Watch this space.

kkkk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No answers, I do try and rotate from side to side on my fingers, and not just do my favourite ones (it was the dots that told me which was the favourite) - also with time the scar tissue build up does make it harder to get blood out of those areas (I am talking like the really small 1/2cm diameter that I tend to use all the time) - so I did wonder whether just spreading it out a bit so you give fingers more of a healing chance might help.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I moisturise my hands 6 or 7 times a day but those dots are persistent little buggers!

StewartH

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No answers, I do try and rotate from side to side on my fingers, and not just do my favourite ones (it was the dots that told me which was the favourite) - also with time the scar tissue build up does make it harder to get blood out of those areas (I am talking like the really small 1/2cm diameter that I tend to use all the time) - so I did wonder whether just spreading it out a bit so you give fingers more of a healing chance might help.
I try to use all fingers and as wide an area as I can. Turning the pricker round in the case reminds me to use the other hand as well. But I still have scar tissue on the first three fingers of left hand which I guess is down to lack of variation or discipline.

Shell1

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Bio oil is fantastic for all marks it complety got rid of my child's chicken pox scars helps reduce stretch marks acne scars so maybe ....fingers scars ?its about 14 quid in boots but they have cheaper options of the product about .

Shell1

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Just googled it 5.73 in tesco and it's for scars amongst other things .

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Moisturising is good advice, also make sure you use a new lancet (if possible) and set the lancer on the lowest setting (but enough to draw blood).