Leg pains

Chuckles21

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am type 2 and on metformin & statins so here goes > I have been telling my GP for the last 12 months I have severe pains in both my legs from the knee downwards and for the last month the pains have been that bad that I can't walk and I have noticed a lot of blue veins just under the skin and also had blood spurting out of these veins the last week and they are hard to stop bleeding could anybody shed some light on this and how can I stop the blood and pains??

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

C

catherinecherub

Hi chuckles,

Your varicose veins need attention if they have got to the stage that they are bleeding. You need to get treatment from a Vascular Surgeon and should ask your Dr. to refer you.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Varicose-veins/Pages/Complications.aspx

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Varicose-veins/Pages/Treatment.aspx
The statins may be aggravating the pain that you feel but the varicose veins should be a priority at the moment. Most people find that they are more painful when the weather is hot.

Ask your Dr. to refer you and tell him you need to stop the statins whilst the pain is so bad to see if it eases as it could be a double whammy, statins and varicose veins.

Reactions: 7 people

Chuckles21

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for that advice it's just I have heard so much about this problem that I was a bit scared to seek help but I suppose it's got to be sorted sooner or later but sooner sounds better

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 3 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Great advice from Catherine, do seek help and don't put things off.

Reactions: 3 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree.
Varicose veins can get nasty if they get this bad, and are left untreated. Don't let your doctor fob you off. Insist on a referral.
Good luck.

Chuckles21

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have just been back to the doctor cause the leg pains from the knee down are getting to the stage where I feel crippled when I walk and all he gave me was Capsaicin cream to rub onto both of my lower legs to numb the nerves and sent me for a blood test but the blood test was normal and the cream blistered my legs it burnt so much so how can I get my doctor to help properly instead of just palming me off just to get me out the room?

Chuckles21

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
2011 I got ecoli 0157 then a year after I got type 2 diabetes then a year on I got NAFLD and last June was diagnosed with heart disease after being admitted for a few days after chest pains then I got the mumps Xmas 2013 and since then had all over body itching and then this year diagnosed with IBS and now lower leg pains which have got worse in the last 12 months and I keep telling my doctor the pains getting worse every time I see him but this time he gave me capsaicin cream to rub on to numb the nerves to stop the pains and sent me for a blood test and there normal so how do I get my GP to do more than just giving me meds to stop the pains and cream to numb the nerves????

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Blimey! You've been in the wars!

Can you ask/insist on a referral?

Is he giving you any reason why he won't? Would your other health issues mean an operation or alternative treatment is out of the question?

Chuckles21

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
He just sends me for a blood test which comes back normal he sends my for a scan on my liver and all he says yes you have fatty liver but he just doesn't do anymore than just give me more meds or creams but I don't want to be sitting on something that's getting worse and ending up at the stage where I am past helping and it's too late as I lost a friend last year who died cause the doctors or hospitals couldn't find anything wrong with him

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
He just sends me for a blood test which comes back normal he sends my for a scan on my liver and all he says yes you have fatty liver but he just doesn't do anymore than just give me more meds or creams but I don't want to be sitting on something that's getting worse and ending up at the stage where I am past helping and it's too late as I lost a friend last year who died cause the doctors or hospitals couldn't find anything wrong with him

Have you read up on the fatty liver 'cures' that people are getting through weight loss?
I think the magic number is 15% of body weight loss = a non-fatty liver.
But don't quote me!

Have a look at the threads on the Newcastle diet, they will give more info.

I could never do that particular diet, but it doesn't have to be a crash diet.
I'm finding that weight loss is happening, without trying, on a low carb way of eating.

Chuckles21

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I stopped eating sugar foods dairy and wheet and I walk 6 miles a day with my job and drink plenty of water and I still can't loose weight

Chuckles21

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I eat very little as certain things make pains worse with so many illnesses and it's hard to find the right fuel to give me energy to walk so much but these leg pains make it hard

Chuckles21

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
After 12 months of telling my GP that the pains are getting worse in my arms and legs I just seen him again saying come on it's gone on long enough now I can hardly walk it's been allowed to progress to this stage surely your going to help me and he said yes he will refer me to a neurologist yipeeeeeeee

Reactions: 2 people

@Sophb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I eat very little as certain things make pains worse with so many illnesses and it's hard to find the right fuel to give me energy to walk so much but these leg pains make it hard
I get leg pains also and now have bunions my job causes me to be on my feet constantly so I can feel your pain x

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
After 12 months of telling my GP that the pains are getting worse in my arms and legs I just seen him again saying come on it's gone on long enough now I can hardly walk it's been allowed to progress to this stage surely your going to help me and he said yes he will refer me to a neurologist yipeeeeeeee

Well done!

@Sophb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you read up on the fatty liver 'cures' that people are getting through weight loss?
I think the magic number is 15% of body weight loss = a non-fatty liver.
But don't quote me!

Have a look at the threads on the Newcastle diet, they will give more info.

I could never do that particular diet, but it doesn't have to be a crash diet.
I'm finding that weight loss is happening, without trying, on a low carb way of eating.
Help me do a low carb diet please xx

Adele99

Sounds as if your GP thinks you have painful neuropathy in your arms and legs if sending to a neurologist and prescribing Capsaican cream. But what about your varicose vein bleeding problem, is he dealing with that or has that resolved. Because I don't think a Neurologist will be of any help with a vascular problem?

Chuckles21

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Pariferal neuropathy is all he wants to check for and he put the bleeding problem on hold

Jean Mayall

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I had the same trouble. What you need is a Doppler scan to see if you have a narrowing of the arteries in your thighs. I had (it's called peripheral vascular disease) and is easily sorted with a procedure. I am sure this was caused by Simvastatin (I was on 40mg) and now tale Eezetrol with no ill effects. In any case, see your doctor, especially if the leg pain stops when you sit down.