Leg pains

Adele99

You could ask your GP to check your pedal pulses, do a Doppler as suggested or if he can what they call an ankle brachial test where they compare the blood pressure in your arms to that in your legs, do a calculation and if it's less than 0.9 then you may have reduced circulation. Albeit not sure how that work if your veins are leaking as they're putting your leg under pressure when the cuff inflates.

Vascular clinics often prefer to do a toe pressure reading in diabetics because the nature of circulatory damage from diabetes can cause calcium deposits in lower leg arteries which stiffens the arteries and can give higher readings than actual. Maybe that would be better in your case.

Glad they were able to fix yours Jean, because after an MRI with dye I was told they couldn't risk any intervention with a stent or bypass due to the state of the arteries, as it was highly unlikely to work and could risk losing a leg sooner. Was pretty disappointed to say the least at this cheery diagnosis. However so far so good.

Jean Mayall

Type of diabetes
Type 1
You could ask your GP to check your pedal pulses, do a Doppler as suggested or if he can what they call an ankle brachial test where they compare the blood pressure in your arms to that in your legs, do a calculation and if it's less than 0.9 then you may have reduced circulation. Albeit not sure how that work if your veins are leaking as they're putting your leg under pressure when the cuff inflates.

Vascular clinics often prefer to do a toe pressure reading in diabetics because the nature of circulatory damage from diabetes can cause calcium deposits in lower leg arteries which stiffens the arteries and can give higher readings than actual. Maybe that would be better in your case.

Glad they were able to fix yours Jean, because after an MRI with dye I was told they couldn't risk any intervention with a stent or bypass due to the state of the arteries, as it was highly unlikely to work and could risk losing a leg sooner. Was pretty disappointed to say the least at this cheery diagnosis. However so far so good.

Jean Mayall

Type of diabetes
Type 1

Jean Mayall

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I hope you get it sorted, because I went from very painful walking to playing golf twice a week! By the way, I am 76 and have been diabetic for about 44 years.

Adele99

I hope you get it sorted, because I went from very painful walking to playing golf twice a week! By the way, I am 76 and have been diabetic for about 44 years.

Really pleased to hear that Jean, and long may your golfing days continue, it's a great sport for being out in the outdoors and relaxing surroundings. My GP had suggested it could be fixed when first told it I had vascular disease. I was quite excited when the Vascular surgeon ordered the MRI after noting it had rapidly deteriorated over 18 months, to see if I was suitable for stent ing or grafting, so was pretty gutted when it told it was too risky, and might only be tried if and when it looked like I was in imminent danger of losing that leg anyway as there was nothing to lose.

He drew a diagram to explain why this was so, , but was a bit shocked so didn't take it all in, something to do with length and number of blockages in upper leg and short distance between them, coupled with state of arteries he would graft onto, as well as state of lower leg arteries which he said were typical diabetic, albeit wasn't quite sure what that meant.

However hopefully when. I get checked agin in October, they'll say it isn't any worse. Have also developed an ulcer from a silly surface scratch , so hoping with the amount of care being given to it, it won't lead to anything else. I'm nearly 60 and have been diabetic for about 37 years now, so still young enough for restricted mobility to be a damned nuisance, but I get there on foot eventually.

mikwell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am type 2 and on metformin & statins so here goes > I have been telling my GP for the last 12 months I have severe pains in both my legs from the knee downwards and for the last month the pains have been that bad that I can't walk and I have noticed a lot of blue veins just under the skin and also had blood spurting out of these veins the last week and they are hard to stop bleeding could anybody shed some light on this and how can I stop the blood and pains??

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App
diet do not drink alcohol eat spicy foods drop your weight
it might be clogged arteries from cholesterol
platelets sugars fats are blocking blood flow .
thrombosis can come from type 2 and can result in amputation. A very kind diet and maybe swimming to pump the cholesterol through your body
but your looking at about 4 months of lifestyle training

Chuckles21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I walk 25 miles a week with my job and I drink 4 litres of water a day and I don't eat sugars/ wheat or dairy and just this morning I got woken up with severe leg pains from hips to feet and this pain wakes me up 5-6 times a night so fatigue is getting really bad so just waiting for my neurologist appointment to come thru after being referred last Monday so any help from you guys would be good right now

Chuckles21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I walk 25 miles a week with my job
I have never smoked and I don't drink with the amount of meds I am on
My meds listed below
1: citalopram 10mg 1 a day
2: hydroxyzine 25mg 4 a day
3: Mebeverine 135mg 3 a day
4: metformin 500mg 1 a day
5: mirtazapine 45mg 1 a day
6: omeprazole 20mg 1 a day
7: propranolol 80mg 1 a day
8: simvastatin 40mg x 2 a day
No sugars
No wheat
No dairy
This is my health diary from 2011

Ecoli 2011
Type 2 diabetes feb 2012
NAFLD dec 2012
Legs & arms pains jan 2012
Heart disease June 2013
Mumps sept 2013
All over body itching dec 2013
I.B.S feb 2014
Severe fatigue with
Severe leg & arm pains now 2014
So if anybody can guide me to releave this pain give me a shout

bernadette452

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I fly a lot because of my job and I frequently experienced swollen ankles. After speaking with my doctor he recommended compression hosiery. Sigvaris and Jobst were my first options but then I couldn't get over the boring 'old lady' colors. I tried a pair of Nike soccer socks but you should check out the Sigs at sigvaris.com or these guys if fashion is your thing compressionpoint.com.