Question for the ladies!!

• Thread starter Deleted member 83869
  • Start Date

smartlady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Honestly 2 seconds of pain, like having your ears pierced & then 5 years period free. Best thing I ever done, truly

Smartie xx

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have the Nexplanon implant. It's been in 2.5 years now and I've only had 2 periods.

I used to suffer from awful hormonal migraines and they've gone. I will continue using it for the foreseeable future!

Blogging at drivendiabetic.wordpress.com

SpaceChick

I had the Merina coil and was in constant pain. They reluctantly removed it, but I had to keep it for 6 months before they would. it was 6 months of hell.

I now have the depo injection and I occasionally get spotting but nothing major.

I should add I do have endometriosis.

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
I use the implant as due to my weight they wont let me have the pill. now on my 3 implant. would def recommend, might have 1 period a year if that. Also when on the pill, if you decide to try for a family it can take at least a year to get out of your system, with the implant, its removed and thats it, it's out of your system within days.

D

Deleted member 83869

I use the implant as due to my weight they wont let me have the pill. now on my 3 implant. would def recommend, might have 1 period a year if that. Also when on the pill, if you decide to try for a family it can take at least a year to get out of your system, with the implant, its removed and thats it, it's out of your system within days.
Having the implant freaks me out and makes me sick....the injections do they hurt???

Reactions: 2 people

Ruth B

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'll add my vote for the Depo injection as well.

I always suffered badly each month, heavy bleeding, extreme pain and massive mood swings. I tried the full pill but I could literally mark on the calender the days I would have a migraine so I was taken off it. I tried the mini pill but the timing was too tight for me and i kept missing it. After managing without for a few years someone suggested the Depo Injection and it has been wonderful for me. Slight spotting at about the 11-12 week mark and has really sorted my moods out. You do have to keep an eye on your weight as it can lead to a rise if you aren't careful The one down side is that it can increase your Oestrogen levels which is linked to an increase in the risk of Osteoporosis. At one point my levels were going higher than the doctor liked, convinced me to try the implant instead, I had 6 months of seeing the nightmare slowly return. I was in tears when I finally gave in and went back to the doctors and was put straight back on the injections. I am still on them several years later and refusing all advise about trying anything else, they suit me and my family has no history of Osteoporosis and I am not exactly the 7 stone weakling build.

As far as having the injection, it normally is best to have it in a big muscle group (for me the backside I had it in the upper arm once and the arm ached for about 24 hours afterwards) Now I would say the injection hurts less than pricking my finger for a glucose reading.

The implant I tried is about the size of a small matchstick and is implanted under the skin under local anathetic (mine was done at my local doctors surgery) and has to be removed the same way and has left me with a small scar.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I vote for the Mirena coil too.
One of the best decisions of my life.

I'm on my second one now and will keep going.

Menstruation and PMT reduced by more than 90% for the last 8 years.

Brilliant.
You need to be aware that some periods are necessary to shed the lining of the womb. Every 3 months or so is the minimum advised, I think.
Less than that and your cancer risk rises a lot.

ursy87

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Insulin
I would also go for the merina coil, had extreme pain and really heavy, irregular periods for many years until I got coil in. Have had it in 3 years now and apart from a wee twinge in my tummy occasionally (just to let me know things are still happening I guess!) its been the best thing I have done. I thought I wouldnt be able to have the merina due to family history and blood pressure problems but gynae unit advised I should go for it after investigation into heavy periods.

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I had a normal coil, I had an ectopic pregnancy and it ruptured and I am lucky to be here. I then had a Mirena coil fitted, hated it and had it removed. It made me grumpy and horrible. I think did some research and ended up asking for Cerazette and here we are years later with no periods and no pain whatsoever. Cerazette doesn't have a 3 weeks on, one week off routine so you can just take it continuously. So for me the coil route was a total disaster both times!!

Jessd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have had the mirena coil in for just over a year, have to say has not worked for me! Still have heavy periods that last longer then they should! (Have got endemeotreotis) going to have mirena coil taken out hopefully next month. Going to go back on the implant, that worked before

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

AnnaCollis

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello,

Was just wondering is there a mini pill (contraceptive pill) that will stop my periods completely as mine are so painful and it makes my sciatica ten times worse! I have a doctor's appointment for Wednesday for something else but may ask about this as well and was just wondering if it's worth asking them?! x

I use Degesterol because I have Focal Nodular Hyperplasia. I have not had a period since I started it 3 years ago. Hope this helps

Cath40

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
ive been on depo injection for nearly 4 years now and its been fantastic also stops the bad mood swings if u have them i havent had a period for over 3 years it does take a couple ov months to stop them but its worth it

angelicbaby

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have the Merina coil and I love it. 6 years ago, I had endometriosis and Overian cysts. I had a d&c and laporoscopy then the coil fitted. Spotted for about 3 months, then apart from the odd period which lasts a day - nothing. I had it replaced earlier this year and honestly can say it is the best thing I have ever done.

By the way I have never experienced childbirth so don't listen to people that say you can't have this procedure unless you have had children. I woudn't say the procedure is a walk in the park but it was worth it to me.

Reactions: 2 people