Lantus Solostar use by

Human_8nimal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm new to this after being diagnosed with diabetes in June of this year (didn't know which type till 6 weeks later, type 2). I had a random blood test at the doctors where they found I had a blood sugar level of 33 and they couldn't understand why I was feeling ok. Anyway I was just wondering if it was safe to take lantus if you have accidentally passed the use by date of one month.

Thanks

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm new to this after being diagnosed with diabetes in June of this year (didn't know which type till 6 weeks later, type 2). I had a random blood test at the doctors where they found I had a blood sugar level of 33 and they couldn't understand why I was feeling ok. Anyway I was just wondering if it was safe to take lantus if you have accidentally passed the use by date of one month.

Thanks

You shouldn't have been dispensed medication that was on the verge of passing it's use by date. You should take it back and get it replaced.

Human_8nimal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
They are plenty in date because they have a 2 year expiration date on them when refrigerated its just that I cannot remember when I started to use my latest lantus (i think its still in date I just needed to know if it was safe after the month was up). Since I've been put on metformin my insulin intake has come down

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
OK then you can use the pen for up to 28 days. If you are not sure when you started it, then you should start with a new pen from the fridge.

Reactions: 2 people