Flax Seed Recipes

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a question. Flax goes rancid once it's ground, right? What about cooked flax? I've seen some wicked recipes for Pizza Bases/Flat Bread. Could this be made and stored? I'm thinking of making a batch of Pizza Bases, cooking them, and then freezing them for later se.

Does Flax still go rancid once its been cooked?

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Patch,

I got this from Wikipedia

Flax seeds are chemically stable while whole, and milled flaxseed can be stored at least 4 months at room temperature with minimal or no changes in taste, smell, or chemical markers of rancidity.[4] Ground flaxseed can go rancid at room temperature in as little as one week.[5] Refrigeration and storage in sealed containers will keep ground flax from becoming rancid for even longer.

but I couldn't find any info on cooked flax. Best thing I can suggest is try freezing some and test them after, say, a month.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Dennis - I did read that, it's the info on Flax once cooked that I was interested in.

My next Q...

What is th edifference between milled, and ground flax seed?

shews

I have made flax muffins using a recipe from the low carb gourmet cookbook.
The recipe includes 120g ground flaxseed and they are baked at 180 C for 30 mins.

These keep well in the fridge for upto a week but I'm not sure about freezing.

Sal

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Patch said:
My next Q...

What is th edifference between milled, and ground flax seed?
Hi Patch,

The difference is between English English and American English. What we call ground (e.g. seeds), in the US they call milled. What we call minced (e.g. meat) in the US they call ground.

Bubsy Malone

Dislikes
Patronising people, fish and cold callers
Amen to that! My online food diary has exceeded its bandwidth (again!) so I've had to switch to an american one. What a difference the Atlantic can make!