Quick Hypo Snack

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How times change, I do remember turning up at the diabetes clinic for my diabetes check-up and saying to the nurse that I was running low, a glass of milk and a digestive biscuit was what they got me :)

I only ever follow-up with a slow release snack if it's within 2 hours of my previous bolus dose, as the insulin still hasn't reached it's peak, other than that I don't bother unless I'm going to be quite active.

Thats right. I was encouraged to have mid morning & mid afternoon snacks on a digestive with milk as an active kid in the late 70's..
Quite often I forgot, & boy did it hit me...! Lol

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Thats right. I was encouraged to have mid morning & mid afternoon snacks on a digestive with milk as an active kid in the late 70's..
Quite often, I forgot & boy did it hit me...! Lol

Remember to snack on the twice daily animal insulin was a bind Jaylee, got caught out a few times. I always thought the hypo's and onset of hypo's were more profound when injecting this insulin, were you the same?

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I keep fun size packs of jelly babies handy. I used to keep a large bag but the sweets went hard between hypos so I was delighted when they started producing the fun size ones.

At night I'll have the jelly babies and reduce my basal by 20% for a few hours but during the day I usually follow up with a couple of ginger oat biscuits (I love ginger!)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Remember to snack on the twice daily animal insulin was a bind Jaylee, got caught out a few times. I always thought the hypo's and onset of hypo's were more profound when injecting this insulin, were you the same?

Yep, the "bovine stuff" was a killer! Came close to a fit once when I was about ten. Just managed to get home..
Pretty much why (as I mentioned earlier.) I'm at ease with a hypo on the human insulin.. It feels like less of a "tizzy spin". Though fully aware, I can personally deal with it in a calm manor & even blagg some sort of function while on the rise.....

ShellyC23

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I keep fun size packs of jelly babies handy. I used to keep a large bag but the sweets went hard between hypos so I was delighted when they started producing the fun size ones.

At night I'll have the jelly babies and reduce my basal by 20% for a few hours but during the day I usually follow up with a couple of ginger oat biscuits (I love ginger!)
Ginger oat biscuits??? They sound yummy - must look for those ......

ArtemisBow

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a giant tub of Skittles in my locker at work. I have to get someone else to count them out for me if I'm hypo (about 10 does the trick).

Not because I am unable to do it myself, just because I wouldn't stop at 15!

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
What is the quickest way to fix a hypo? Last night I had a hypo 2 hours after a reading of 8.3. I had to get out of bed to test and binge until I was sure I had moved my level from 3 to a safer level.

After a Go-Ahead Yoghurt Break, a handful of dry roasted nuts, half a bag of Freddo faces and a half a glass of milk I was feeling a different type of sick so I took myself back to bed where I felt ill for the rest of the night.

Felt better this morning after OH made me a bacon and egg sandwich but I've felt rubbish all day as usual and guilty about my junk binge.

Any ideas of a quick snack to eat in the middle of the night next time this happens as it appears to be happening more frequently lately.
If you're at home, a tsp of honey is very fast acting.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Not sure about honey since some varieties can be very high in fructose and have GIs in the 30s compared to the 100 of glucose others are indeed quite high but a hypo isn't the time to test.

Most French diabetes sites recommend 3 sugar lumps since you can get them easily at every bar and café . My own doctors suggested barely diluted syrop (they use ghastly syrop de menthe in the hospital) , the small cartons of grape/orange juice or 120mll of coke

I would normally stick to glucose/dextrose tabs if I'm really hypo, I have to stock up in the UK, they don't sell them here.
I don't need many which is just as well because I hate the taste

Not for a real hypo and certainly not in the middle of the night but If marginally low ie 3.5-4mmol/l (judgement needed), then a couple of squares of peppermint aero have been known to work ! (no idea what's in it or the GI: another purchase when in the UK, a big bar lasts me a long time)
In the same situation the hospital suggests the healthy option of a piece of fruit.

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Not sure about honey since some varieties can be very high in fructose and have GIs in the 30s compared to the 100 of glucose others are indeed quite high but a hypo isn't the time to test.

Most French diabetes sites recommend 3 sugar lumps since you can get them easily at every bar and café . My own doctors suggested barely diluted syrop (they use ghastly syrop de menthe in the hospital) , the small cartons of grape/orange juice or 120mll of coke

I would normally stick to glucose/dextrose tabs if I'm really hypo, I have to stock up in the UK, they don't sell them here.
I don't need many which is just as well because I hate the taste

Not for a real hypo and certainly not in the middle of the night but If marginally low ie 3.5-4mmol/l (judgement needed), then a couple of squares of peppermint aero have been known to work ! (no idea what's in it or the GI: another purchase when in the UK, a big bar lasts me a long time)
In the same situation the hospital suggests the healthy option of a piece of fruit.
It was what the emergency doc recommended to hubbie when I was drifting in and out of consciousness. It worked very quickly. The paramedic who attended me also suggested we made sure we kept some in the house.

ShellyC23

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I hate honey so I'll go with the glucose tablets I think. I'll buy a pack to keep in bedside cabinet.
Thanks for all your replies

Reactions: 3 people

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
Glucojuice for me works brilliantly, and comes in handy measured bottles. Pricey but worth it for that relief 10 mins later when sugars have come back up.

gingecoll

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
Tories
Glucose tablets work damned fast! They were recommended by my consultant as I'm a cyclist, a hypothetical for me at the roadside needs quick treatment! Then as soon as I'm able a high carb snack.

Y3MBailey

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I usually go for a spoonful of Lemon Curd..... or an ice lolly if its summer and we have some in the fridge..... But for those "**** i'm low moments" its always something sweet in a jar.

Kazzy Lud

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
4 jelly babies seems to work for speed. I have them in a waterproof key lanyard so they're always to hand. And it stops any over indulgence! Perfect for teaching, dog walking etc. Chocolate is too slow. If it's more than an hour until my next meal I'll then have a cereal bar.

Kirstyhunter

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Lucozade Hun I carry it everywhere, 3 fingers of the bottle normally raises my blood sugar

Noux

I think honey is pretty good...I'm trying not to eat jelly bellys or similar and it just feels a healthier way of taking sugar.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
4 jelly babies seems to work for speed. I have them in a waterproof key lanyard so they're always to hand. And it stops any over indulgence! Perfect for teaching, dog walking etc. Chocolate is too slow. If it's more than an hour until my next meal I'll then have a cereal bar.

I use an old GlucoTab tube, it fits 4 JB's and is quite robust.

jh91957

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Eating out
Family holidays
Dog walking
What is the quickest way to fix a hypo? Last night I had a hypo 2 hours after a reading of 8.3. I had to get out of bed to test and binge until I was sure I had moved my level from 3 to a safer level.

After a Go-Ahead Yoghurt Break, a handful of dry roasted nuts, half a bag of Freddo faces and a half a glass of milk I was feeling a different type of sick so I took myself back to bed where I felt ill for the rest of the night.

Felt better this morning after OH made me a bacon and egg sandwich but I've felt rubbish all day as usual and guilty about my junk binge.

Any ideas of a quick snack to eat in the middle of the night next time this happens as it appears to be happening more frequently lately.
My daughter whos 9 has small box of raisins more or less the whole packet straight in her mouth and they act very quick. Great for quick middle of the nigHt fix.

jh91957

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Eating out
Family holidays
Dog walking
Orange or apple juice 200ml or close enough. Everything you ate is slow release carbs so won't boost your blood sugars
Or the small cans of coke are quick.