Fraudulent claims

BillB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Impolite people, yobbish behaviour, pretentious people.
I was browsing through the online version of the Daily Mail today when I came across the story about the vastly obese family who sit on their behinds all day watching TV and stuffing their faces. They were trying to justify their bone idle lifestyle and one of the daughters remarked that her father (22 stone) was unable to work because he had diabetes.
Now, I'm retired but like to keep active and my son, type 2 like me, is working away in the motor industry.
As an expatriate I understood that there was a vast number of families who've never worked and never will, but what part of diabetes stops one from working?
Anyone got any theories - I need a laugh.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Any comments |I may make on that story would not be funny and probably get me banned from the board!! :evil: :evil:

C

catherinecherub

They were interviewed on the T.V. and claimed they were too fat to work. They also get £22.000 per year for doing nothing and also claim that they cannot afford to buy fresh vegetables!!!!!!
It was suggested that they get an allotment, grow their own veg and loose some weight in the process. This is one family, how many more????

Thirsty

It's a shame that people seem to have lost the will to grow their own food. Even a small garden like mine can produce substantial amounts of fresh produce for very little effort. Currants, apples, pears, beans, peas, rhubarb, tomatoes, onions, leeks, strawberries, spuds etc. are all easy to grow and generally taste far better than commercially produced crops.

As for the family... no comment. :wink:

candy1567

Hiya

Am sooo angry at the story, i know everyone is different and in individual but several years ago when i was bigger (about 23 stone!!) i still worked, and looked after family and a home.

They cant use weight as an issue, yes i am well aware than excess weight does effect your mobility, but you adjust your daily routine to fit in with what you can cope with and at your own pace.

Oh and i didn't even earn 22 thousand a year and i was working!! yes they have a weight problem but why should i fork out my taxes for them to sit on their backside and eat my hard earned cash

Juliexx

Aadrgon

I weigh 20 stone - I'm diabetic and I'm working my wife is also a bit on the big size :) (being diplomatic in case she reads this ) I'm sure she's diabetic but she won't see the GP about it - also works between us we don't earn anything like 22k - Neither of us would be out of work by choice although we would get more in benefits than we can earn - there is something wrong with society when you can get paid more for doing nothing than for working.

gillyh

Dislikes
arrogant drivers/people, ill mannered people, cruelty to people and animals, condescention
I also weigh 20 stones and still work full time. I grow some fruit and vegetables in my back garden too. This family have become typical of a lot of benefit families now. They sponge off society and give nothing back to society. My suggestion is to make them earn their moeny by doing community work ie clean the canals, countryside etc. Working in the benefits sytem....no derogatory remarks here as it's just a job for me ...I find it disgusting of the amount that they get not working. Single people are expected to live on very little but once the children start arriving the money comes flooding in. With income support, child benefit and child tax credit they reap a fortune before free rent, school meals, prescriptions etc come into effect. Then they get paid £500 for each child born!!! where's the sense in this? :evil:

Bubsy Malone

Dislikes
Patronising people, fish and cold callers
I know what you mean gilly, my brother lost his job a couple of years ago and because he is single he is receiving less than a third of my income. He is currently on a training course but is up to his eyeballs in debt. The worst thing is, he's lost all his self confidence so I don't know what he's going to be doing when he finishes this course. :(

sandymaynard

Hi
i worked even though i was having seizures, and severe migraines having suffered 3 pulmonary embolisms and three dvt's! and severe period pains, i still worked! now becuase my eyesight has gone as bad as it has it is no good me working!
I walk into wall's doors and fall down stair's!
It is not funny when you walk into a door because you can't see the opening anymore, my eyesight has got so bad!
I loved gardening all the time when i was not working!
All that money and they can't affors to buy veg come off it! I buy fresh fruit and veg weekly cost's me tops £20 a week!
Maybe if they stopped buying lot's of take out's and bought fresh fruit and veg then they might lose weight!

anne 37

l totally agree with you all about those scroungers ,im type 1 diabetic and have some changes in my eyesight with the diabetes and also get pain in my legs and feet and take 5 insulin injections per day and l work fulltime working with disabled adults and people with learning problems and its hard work and constant when on a shift ,my gp told me shifts aint suitable for ppl with diabetes but l couldnt give up and not work ,it makes my blood boil that like yous im paying all that tax to keep them sitting on their backsides doing nothing ,l used to weigh over 18 stone and still managed to do my job ,what total rubbish they cant afford to eat healthy ,and l bet when those kids are older they,ll do exactly what the parents do ,and we,ll be paying for them too! how dare they use the excuse about the diabetes for not getting off their butts and finding a job ,we,re all proof that you can be diabetic and work !!lol signing off now before l start swearing x :evil: :evil:

shandromeda

Dislikes
grumpy people
I'm a single parent not of my own fault,i'm jobless but not for the lack of trying some times it's just bad luck,i put myself forward for an N.V.Q 2 in retail and passed little did i know that jobs in retail would fall to bits loads of shops have gone in my town,i did get a job at Woolworths in November but it was only for 12 hours and it was the Job centre thay told me i couldn't take it as i needed to work 16 hours or more, then it closed any way,i am over weight but i do not sit on my bum all day,today i've been painting my front room other days gardening,also making cards for charities,other jobs are out for me as i don't drive,so some times its just bad luck,shan :(

belinda_b

I became single eight years ago and am the full time carer for my two sons and daughter (all in their 20's) who are autistic. Due to arthritis and a mobility prob it is very hard for me to find any sort of work so I'm studying with the OU for a degree, in the hope that I might get a desk job before I get my pension at 65. Benefits....as a single person and carer, aged 54, I get the princely sum of 87 pounds per week. These people who milk the system make me so mad....they should be made to diet and exercise, by threatening to reduce their money if they don't.

Aadrgon

belinda_b said:
I'm studying with the OU for a degree

good for you Belinda, I wish you every success in that.

It's a sorry state the world is in when people who deserve less get more and people who deserve more get less.

Bubsy Malone

Dislikes
Patronising people, fish and cold callers
Good luck with the degree Belinda, I know how you feel. My 15 year old son is also autistic and I'm going back to college in September to update my old secretarial skills.