New Flash Glucose Monitoring from Abbott - Bloodless Testing

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
No Medtronic or nothing was my options. So I took it lol can't contain much, the pump works!

I fought and was the first adult at NGH to have the Vibe. They pushed me towards an omnipod because 'You're an engineer' I nearly wiped the floor with the nurse.

Reactions: 4 people

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I fought and was the first adult at NGH to have the Vibe. They pushed me towards an omnipod because 'You're an engineer' I nearly wiped the floor with the nurse.

The funding boost up here is based on a deal with Medtronic so that's what we all get for now

Reactions: 2 people

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
wow, we're lucky in Cambridgeshire then, I had a choice of all the main manufacturers and the new CellNovo as well.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
wow, we're lucky in Cambridgeshire then, I had a choice of all the main manufacturers and the new CellNovo as well.

Yeah seems that's more normal. They don't offer omnipod here at all. If you had some fantastic reason then I could have argued for animas. They do off accu check but said I wasn't suitable for it (due to my main driver being pregnancy)

Due to being so pleased to be offered one I didn't want to rock the boat. I asked for animas and was told no, so I kept schtum and took it. Figure if I reeeeeeally what something else I can argue it out in 4 years lol

flossyc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
HI all,

I am new to the forum, but have been following this thread and ElyDave's thread re Cellnovo as I too am counting the days (fingers and everything crossed!) until i get mine from the lovely hospital in Cambridge.

This is the first I have seen of the Freestyle Libre and I now find my Cellnovo excitement a little squashed. I am so looking forward to the Cellnovo and finally only having one box of tricks to carry around that will do everything, test blood ,administer insulin..., but after 32 years of stabbing my poor fingers 10 or more time a day, I wonder what it would be like to be able to give them at least a partial break, I almost don't care what other fancy things the machine can do, I just like the sound of less needles!! but then that somewhat takes away part of the reason for so wanting an all in one pump.

As both systems are pretty new and there is little to no user feedback on either I guess it will be a case of watch this space and see how they perform.

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
HI all,

I am new to the forum, but have been following this thread and ElyDave's thread re Cellnovo as I too am counting the days (fingers and everything crossed!) until i get mine from the lovely hospital in Cambridge.

This is the first I have seen of the Freestyle Libre and I now find my Cellnovo excitement a little squashed. I am so looking forward to the Cellnovo and finally only having one box of tricks to carry around that will do everything, test blood ,administer insulin..., but after 32 years of stabbing my poor fingers 10 or more time a day, I wonder what it would be like to be able to give them at least a partial break, I almost don't care what other fancy things the machine can do, I just like the sound of less needles!! but then that somewhat takes away part of the reason for so wanting an all in one pump.

As both systems are pretty new and there is little to no user feedback on either I guess it will be a case of watch this space and see how they perform.

Are you on the 7th and 14th October starts? If so I'll see you there.

flossyc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
No I am hoping to be on the 25th September! However this has already been cancelled twice so I am not holding my breath!

andybee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I wouldn't say useless at all.

Not when you consider that a finger prick test could be out by up to 20% anyway. During rapidly changing blood sugar events how often will you be finger pricking? Maybe once every 15-20 mins, hopefully not for long.

And even you are looking to work out a meal time bolus, 20mins delay on a +/-20% error is not going to be significant either.

I don't think it's being sold as a replacement for blood tests, more as a CGM-lite, which I think is a well positioned niche. Personally, at those prices I'm very tempted.

Jees, stop posting man; I can't figure out whether I find you totally inspirational or totally intimidating!

Lol. The former is true, keep on running and inspiring us all

ukocyigit

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When will Libre be available? And what do you think about its price on avarage?

flossyc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks a lot for reply. I hope it will come to Turkey.
Hi All,

Have spoken to Abbott this morning and they are currently advising that the web shop should go live in a couple of weeks and the product will be available once this happens.

iHs

I dont think the official date for launching has been mentioned so far. More info will come through the EASD conference online 15th Sept.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I dont think the official date for launching has been mentioned so far. More info will come through the EASD conference online 15th Sept.

Yes sorry that's what I meant! More info available from then. Some people have them from the 15th to trial but it's only a select few.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The funding boost up here is based on a deal with Medtronic so that's what we all get for now
That's pretty outrageous. So Medtronic basically bought a monopoly in your health authority? How is that even legal? It should be challenged in court. Even if Medtronic gives the LHA a bung for every Medtronic pump they provide, patients should still get a choice of pump. I'm shocked.

Reactions: 5 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
My hospital in Wales got a good deal by buying 30 accuchek pumps at once... They did not offer anything else. If they get a good deal and it enables 30 people (4 years ago) to go on a pump.. Why not??
Sorry, I'm
Just grateful I got my pump and would not change to another make.
I don't care to be honest about blood testing at all. The only benefit I found from having a useless Navigator was seeing patterns... However, the patterns were useless too as during the night and so often during the day the readings compared to blood testing were absolutely dire....

Reactions: 2 people

Omnipod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's pretty outrageous. So Medtronic basically bought a monopoly in your health authority? How is that even legal? It should be challenged in court. Even if Medtronic gives the LHA a bung for every Medtronic pump they provide, patients should still get a choice of pump. I'm shocked.

Basically Medtronic have provided training to more doctors and nurses on their pump which is why it is the first choice and it is £100 cheaper per year than say an omnipod. Medtronic pumps have just been around longer. You then get clinics like Chelsea and Westminster who love Omnipod and will fight the case for you. It all depends on you clinic.

Omnipod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes sorry that's what I meant! More info available from then. Some people have them from the 15th to trial but it's only a select few.

Trials have been completed. They will be going on sale to everybody not just a select few