Diet decisions NOT based on diabetes

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I thought if you ate from a blue plate you were supposed to eat less because it makes your food more filling. Not tried it so don't know if it works.
I don't know about blue but if people serve themselves food onto a plate that is of contrasting colour to the food they serve themselves smaller amounts than if the plate is the same colour as the food. (there aren't that many blue foods though)
http://foodpsychology.cornell.edu/outreach/color_plate.html

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Smaller plates help too!! I went to a friends house recently and her plates were too big for the dishwasher- the blade hit them so they had to be hand washed... I guess that takes ilup just a few extra calories from the extra portion size.

Reactions: 6 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Smaller plates help too!! I went to a friends house recently and her plates were too big for the dishwasher- the blade hit them so they had to be hand washed... I guess that takes ilup just a few extra calories from the extra portion size.

True, my MIL eats her food from a side-plate, mind she'd fall down a crack in the pavement.

Reactions: 4 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I'm the same actually with side plate eating... I some how gained 2 large side plates inbetween the norm side/dinner plate. Always eat my food on the white coloured large sideplate.

iHs

Unfortunately, a lot of dinner plates are now very big. There was a time when they were smaller. The lsrge dinner plates take some filling up with food and are a good reason to fuel the weight gain problem.

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am a food oddity. My family and friends despair of me. There are so many things I don't like it is quicker to tell folk what I do like than what I don't. I hate pasta, hate savoury rice, hate Indian and Chinese foods. Hate curry. A kebab would make me heave just looking at it. I hate nuts. I dislike what I call mish mash food with all the ingredients mixed up on the plate like casseroles. A pizza bores me after a mouthful. I like everything separate on my plate so I can see exactly what I am eating. I'm a nightmare to cater for.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have had the same size of my dinner plates for at least 25 years. During this time I first gained 25 kilo, then lost them. Neither gaining nor loosing had anything to do with plate size, only with hormones.

semiphonic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ignorant people, diabetes!
Can I ask what the OP and everyone else thinks about alcohol?

forge

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Getting old and everything that goes with it. All the repeats on TV. The drongos who ring me up to sell me things. Religious havens for pedophiles and war-mongers.
Diabetes does not care about druthers

Druther eat this than that.

Freedom of choice and diabetes is a mismatch .

The only real choice is diabetic T2 and more diabetic T2 and fat.

semiphonic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ignorant people, diabetes!
Diabetes does not care about druthers

Druther eat this than that.

Freedom of choice and diabetes is a mismatch .

The only real choice is diabetic T2 and more diabetic T2 and fat.

Is that a response to my question? Because if it is, it doesn't answer it at all.

forge

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Getting old and everything that goes with it. All the repeats on TV. The drongos who ring me up to sell me things. Religious havens for pedophiles and war-mongers.
Sorry @semiphonic It is a response to no one specifically, it is just my general disbelief that people can put their own druthers before their own health

"I don't like this, that or the other", and it bobs up in these forums all the time.

These posters are being very honest but at some point in our lives we all have demons to face.

I visited my mother in her nursing home yesterday and took her out to lunch.She had crumbed chicken and veg.

She was talking about a woman she eats with and who will not eat anything but tinned spaghetti with sugar on it and not much of that and she is down to 35KG or something similar. She is very old, I can't remember how old but my mother was 96 last July and I think she said she was older.

My mother hobbled off on her stick to gamble on the poker machines.

Life itself, can be a bitter pill to swallow. But we really have to "cop it sweet" and make the most of what we have without getting too precious.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

As in can we drink it or in how much should we consume?

I've drank alcohol since the day I was diagnosed, probably drank too much back then but now just drink in moderation, keeping it to a Friday & Saturday evening whereby I enjoy a few glasses of wine.

As long as people with diabetes are aware of what alcohol can do to their bg management then it's entirely up to them if they drink or not, obviously there are guidelines on how much is safe to drink and it's best to stick to them, much like non-diabetics should.

forge

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I drink but we are better off health-wise without it I halved what I drink after getting a pacemaker and a few lectures to go with it.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

I like alcohol. Red wine and spirits. Occasional fizzy white. Not beer or cider these days due to carbs. I don't drink even a glass if I have work the next day. Weekends are ok for me. I always test before going to sleep whether I have a drink or not.

Nyxks

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Discrimination based on gender, age, medical conditions, etc.
150 a month for a family of 3 (we use to be four till we lost my mom last week) and I buy gluten free and vegan (because I've got a dairy n egg allergy) and I'm not a fan of meat in general (though I'll cook it for my dad as needed) I feed my family well enough plenty of veggies and lentils with rice for my mate and I and my dad its his love of meat and potatoes that are his main stay (he's british by birth).

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
150 a month for a family of 3 (we use to be four till we lost my mom last week) and I buy gluten free and vegan (because I've got a dairy n egg allergy) and I'm not a fan of meat in general (though I'll cook it for my dad as needed) I feed my family well enough plenty of veggies and lentils with rice for my mate and I and my dad its his love of meat and potatoes that are his main stay (he's british by birth).
So sorry to hear about your mom.
Hug.

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who interrupt you when you're talking and people who won't listen.
I am a food oddity. My family and friends despair of me. There are so many things I don't like it is quicker to tell folk what I do like than what I don't. I hate pasta, hate savoury rice, hate Indian and Chinese foods. Hate curry. A kebab would make me heave just looking at it. I hate nuts. I dislike what I call mish mash food with all the ingredients mixed up on the plate like casseroles. A pizza bores me after a mouthful. I like everything separate on my plate so I can see exactly what I am eating. I'm a nightmare to cater for.
Goodness me woman...i'm never inviting you over the border for dinner lol.
I feel i can poke fun because i'm rather fussy myself :)