Retinopathy

kleef74

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Is there anybody with any insight why a eye doctor would not offer a patient who is blind in 1 eye and visualy impaired in the other lucentis ? Ive read abit about it but get a bit confussed as ive had laser treatment, is it a case of cost ? Or something im missing ? ( yes im the patient)

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Is there anybody with any insight why a eye doctor would not offer a patient who is blind in 1 eye and visualy impaired in the other lucentis ? Ive read abit about it but get a bit confussed as ive had laser treatment, is it a case of cost ? Or something im missing ? ( yes im the patient)

Sorry to hear about your eye problems but I doubt anyone here is a mind reader so your best bet is to ask the Dr concerned.

kleef74

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks for your reply.
The reason i asked is there doing a new drugs trail and i didnt even know there was a old drug, i will ask my doc but as usualy my appoinments are few and far between, thank again

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Thanks for your reply.
The reason i asked is there doing a new drugs trail and i didnt even know there was a old drug, i will ask my doc but as usualy my appoinments are few and far between, thank again

Simple solution to that is, write to your consultant and ask your questions. :)

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Agree with CarbsRok that you should discuss the possibilities of Lucentis Injections with your Ophthalmologist; from what I've read the treatment is expensive but can't say if this is the reason why you've not been offered it, they will treat each case individually and look at what's best for the patient.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

kleef74

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Think i know why i didnt get it offered, il still ask tho just to make sure and il let you know, cheers for the link

Caesar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Approved eye injections like Lucentis can be pricey. There are also not negligible side effects like cataract development in some cases and individual results may vary. A non-invasive treatment I came across not long ago and that I'm using on myself is called Noctura 400. It's available through a selected network of Optometrists who check the condition of the retina every 3 months. Noctura 400 is a sleep mask, which is worn at night to deliver a precise dose of light therapy during normal hours of sleep. The mechanism of action is still based on preventing VEGF production but different from the response triggered by the ingredients contained in the eye injections. You can find more info on this other thread of the forum: http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/green-light-for-retinopathy-treatment.67768/ or directly here: http://noctura.com.
I really hope this may help you kleef74 if you haven't found any positive reply by now.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Approved eye injections like Lucentis can be pricey. There are also not negligible side effects like cataract development in some cases and individual results may vary. A non-invasive treatment I came across not long ago and that I'm using on myself is called Noctura 400. It's available through a selected network of Optometrists who check the condition of the retina every 3 months. Noctura 400 is a sleep mask, which is worn at night to deliver a precise dose of light therapy during normal hours of sleep. The mechanism of action is still based on preventing VEGF production but different from the response triggered by the ingredients contained in the eye injections. You can find more info on this other thread of the forum: http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/green-light-for-retinopathy-treatment.67768/ or directly here: http://noctura.com.
I really hope this may help you kleef74 if you haven't found any positive reply by now.
Hi or should I say Hail Caesar:)
I too am using the Noctura 400 sleep mask and my first visit to opthalmology clinic after using the mask for about 6 months was encouraging.

Reactions: 4 people

Caesar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi himtoo,

I'm happy to hear that after 6 months of use of the Noctura 400 mask your results are encouraging. When I read your other thread on this forum I was really glad to find out that I was not the only one knowing about it. I think the mask is a fantastic breakthrough as it's non-invasive and basically it doesn't harm. For that reason I decided to give it a try even if I don't have any trace of retinopathy and finally I don't fear going to an eye screening.

Caesar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@himtoo
Wow... I've just read about the reduction in the thickness of the edema at your central vision and your low background retinopathy score. Isn't that cool?

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
@himtoo
Wow... I've just read about the reduction in the thickness of the edema at your central vision and your low background retinopathy score. Isn't that cool?
Yes I am really quite excited about it --My eyesight is quite good really but like you I wish to go down the preventative route and this was an opportunity too good to miss after having had some laser and the lucentis injections ( OUCH) in the past.

nasim

Type of diabetes
Type 1
An interesting read indeed. As one who has had significant laser treatment (type one 47years) ANYTHING non invasive that would help prolong good vision should be concidered. Does anyone know if the NHS is looking into this products benefits, if not why not. It normally comes down to the £££ issues with them but in the long term this could be cost effective. N

Dark Horse

Lucentis can be cost-effective for maculopathy (retinopathy in the central area of the retina called the macula), but only if the maculopathy is due to a certain level of macular oedema. This may be measured during an OCT scan. If the retina at the macula is 400 microns or thicker, Lucentis may be cost-effective.

Visual impairment in diabetes may be due to other reasons than macular oedema such as retinal ischaemia (reduced blood flow) - this would not be improved by Lucentis.

As others have said, you need to ask your consultant the particular reason why you have not been offered Lucentis.