'Newcastle diet' advice

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have now lost exactly 7 stones and had my diabetes review last Thursday. My GP said as far as she is concerned I am now non-diabetic as my readings are so good and at lower end of normal range. She advised me not to lose any more weight, and to introduce more protein, good fats and a little dairy to my diet. So since then have had nuts, avocado, home made soups, and I had a small glass of champagne on Friday to celebrate my sister's birthday (it was a special one). No impact on BS levels as yet. Only very odd thing - I have always thought I was 5'7 but she measured me and said I was 5'5! Have I shrunk? My family said I had never been 5'7 and no I hadn't shrunk! Will let you know how BS holds up over the next few weeks as I try more variety of foods.

Paulins, that is brilliant. You have been in my thoughts today.
I am so glad you have posted today. This has made me more determined to keep plodding on.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have now lost exactly 7 stones and had my diabetes review last Thursday. My GP said as far as she is concerned I am now non-diabetic as my readings are so good and at lower end of normal range. She advised me not to lose any more weight, and to introduce more protein, good fats and a little dairy to my diet. So since then have had nuts, avocado, home made soups, and I had a small glass of champagne on Friday to celebrate my sister's birthday (it was a special one). No impact on BS levels as yet. Only very odd thing - I have always thought I was 5'7 but she measured me and said I was 5'5! Have I shrunk? My family said I had never been 5'7 and no I hadn't shrunk! Will let you know how BS holds up over the next few weeks as I try more variety of foods.

Paulins, I'm constantly impressed by your determination and resolve, in the face of everything; diabetes or otherwise, that life has thrown at you during your Newcastle "adventure". You've now lost almost a whole me! OK. Probably a me, minus an arm. How impressive is that?

As I've commented before, I don't think you'll have problems maintaining this, but like so many of us you may find the odd bump in the road as you stabilise yourself in terms of your weight. But, you'll get there.

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Brilliant. Wishing you all the best for the treatment and for your new future xxx

paulins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Feeling I can never eat anything sweet again or anything with carbs. But thought of diabetes complications scares me more so it is a no brainer!
Paulins, I'm constantly impressed by your determination and resolve, in the face of everything; diabetes or otherwise, that life has thrown at you during your Newcastle "adventure". You've now lost almost a whole me! OK. Probably a me, minus an arm. How impressive is that?

As I've commented before, I don't think you'll have problems maintaining this, but like so many of us you may find the odd bump in the road as you stabilise yourself in terms of your weight. But, you'll get there.

Many thanks everyone. I will keep posting as I now work to stabilize my weight, and find a new way to have a good lifelong relationship with food. My daughter thinks I should speak with a psychologist now and try to get to the bottom of why I really ate too much, and perhaps she is right. I do understand that our relationships with food are very complicated, and it would be good to understand myself a bit better. I have been reading through these threads, and do not in any way want to demoralize people who are at the beginning of their own journeys, or who are struggling or plateaued. I know exactly how you all feel, and I know just how hard it is to diet and exercise and to keep going. But please do tell me if you now want me to shut up!
@AndBreathe - imagine that! Almost a whole you! I have this picture in my head now of me carrying you on my back! It is making me smile!

Reactions: 6 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Many thanks everyone. I will keep posting as I now work to stabilize my weight, and find a new way to have a good lifelong relationship with food. My daughter thinks I should speak with a psychologist now and try to get to the bottom of why I really ate too much, and perhaps she is right. I do understand that our relationships with food are very complicated, and it would be good to understand myself a bit better. I have been reading through these threads, and do not in any way want to demoralize people who are at the beginning of their own journeys, or who are struggling or plateaued. I know exactly how you all feel, and I know just how hard it is to diet and exercise and to keep going. But please do tell me if you now want me to shut up!
@AndBreathe - imagine that! Almost a whole you! I have this picture in my head now of me carrying you on my back! It is making me smile!

Do not stop telling us what you have achieved, how you achieved it and how you maintain it.

I stalled after losing half the weight I needed to. I have since regained some weight, but fortunately BG has remained at non-diabetic levels. I could use the need for two major surgical operations as a reason why I regained the weight, but truthfully, it is the psychological issues that are the main reason I misuse food.

@paulins you seem to have reached the correct weight. You are facing another tough health challenge. Keep using the forum if you can, not just to maintain your good balance, but to encourage, be encouraged, and to inspire. Your experience is of great value.
Thank you.

Reactions: 4 people

paulins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Feeling I can never eat anything sweet again or anything with carbs. But thought of diabetes complications scares me more so it is a no brainer!
Do not stop telling us what you have achieved, how you achieved it and how you maintain it.

I stalled after losing half the weight I needed to. I have since regained some weight, but fortunately BG has remained at non-diabetic levels. I could use the need for two major surgical operations as a reason why I regained the weight, but truthfully, it is the psychological issues that are the main reason I misuse food.

@paulins you seem to have reached the correct weight. You are facing another tough health challenge. Keep using the forum if you can, not just to maintain your good balance, but to encourage, be encouraged, and to inspire. Your experience is of great value.
Thank you.

@Pipp - I so wish you lived next door to me as I know I would enjoy talking to you and think we would be friends! Nothing to do with diabetes or any other health issues - I like reading your posts as you are so very insightful and honest. Have a lovely day. P xx

Reactions: 4 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Keep posting.
It's always good to see successes, posts like these inspired me to make the changes I needed to make when I was diagnosed.

Reactions: 6 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Pipp - I so wish you lived next door to me as I know I would enjoy talking to you and think we would be friends! Nothing to do with diabetes or any other health issues - I like reading your posts as you are so very insightful and honest. Have a lovely day. P xx

Aw, Paulins, that would be lovely. I would be asking your advice all the time though on how to stay so determinedly focussed.

Hope you are feeling ok tonight.

Adelle0607

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes thank you so much for posting and sharing your journey with us @paulins. I admire your positive attitude in conquering both small and big battles in your journey to good health. I agree with @Pipp, please do continue posting, as you have inspired me and I'm sure a lot of people in this thread too have been encouraged by your posts. Thanks so much for that. Continue to be strong and brave and stay positive :) Best of luck with your chemotherapy and I hope you get the support here from us, your friends here in the forum.
Hugs,
Adelle

Reactions: 2 people

Alice233

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I want to hang out with Ompelle, I love Newcastle, Diet Coke, water and coffee!

You know what I've been drinking lately that's super awesome (but kinda expensive) Vietnamese coffee. It's like super strong espresso and condensed milk mixed together and put over ice. It's strong, tasty and delicious!

Normally though, I drink mostly water, coffee, tea and beer!

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I want to hang out with Ompelle, I love Newcastle, Diet Coke, water and coffee!

You know what I've been drinking lately that's super awesome (but kinda expensive) Vietnamese coffee. It's like super strong espresso and condensed milk mixed together and put over ice. It's strong, tasty and delicious!

Normally though, I drink mostly water, coffee, tea and beer!

Hi, @Alice233
Your Vietnamese coffee sounds nice, but more suited to LCHF than Newcastle diet. Maybe something to try after Newcastle diet though.

whatdoesthisbuttondo

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@paulins Well done on getting so far, its been great to read your, and others stories. You have been in my mind as you mentioned that week 2 of the ND was hard. I have just completed it and I agree, it was a lot harder than the first week!!
Im finding there are only so many ways you can play with vegetables!
But my morning readings are in the 5's (from 7-8 previously) and the weight is dropping off so things are going in the right direction for me.
Please keep posting, I'm almost fantasing about LCHF (or whatever works for me) when I complete the diet, so it would be good to see what you have done to stabilise after doing it for such a long time.
Im going through tons of test strips though, and although I have one bottle of 50 prescribed every year, Im having to go to ebay to buy loads more!

Tanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread, it has made for a very informative read.

paulins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Yes thank you so much for posting and sharing your journey with us @paulins. I admire your positive attitude in conquering both small and big battles in your journey to good health. I agree with @Pipp, please do continue posting, as you have inspired me and I'm sure a lot of people in this thread too have been encouraged by your posts. Thanks so much for that. Continue to be strong and brave and stay positive :) Best of luck with your chemotherapy and I hope you get the support here from us, your friends here in the forum.
Hugs,
Adelle[/QUOTE

Thank you so much Adele. Will keep posting and let you know what the steroids do to my BS levels! Hopefully very little!
P xx

Reactions: 3 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@paulins Well done on getting so far, its been great to read your, and others stories. You have been in my mind as you mentioned that week 2 of the ND was hard. I have just completed it and I agree, it was a lot harder than the first week!!
But my morning readings are in the 5's (from 7-8 previously) and the weight is dropping off so things are going in the right direction for me.
Please keep posting, I'm almost fantasing about LCHF (or whatever works for me) when I complete the diet, so it would be good to see what you have done to stabilise after doing it for such a long time.
Im going through tons of test strips though, and although I have one bottle of 50 prescribed every year, Im having to go to ebay to buy loads more!

Tanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread, it has made for a very informative read.

Keep posting. There are not many of us doing Newcastle, so we all need to share ideas and support.
Well done on your start.
There are all sorts of ways to enjoy veg. What have you done so far?

paulins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

@whatdoesthisbuttondo - that's the worst part over for you now. I learned to make curries and stir fry and pizza using cauliflower as the base! Keep looking for good recipes - it is worth it!

whatdoesthisbuttondo

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have stir fried, oven roasted, made soups ( the tomato,red pepper and ' way too much' chilli was an eye opener ...and a nose runner!) Tonight I made a thin curry using a Pataks paste, it was more like a curry flavoured stir fry and was tasty. I would love to learn some more recipes.......google?
I'm struggling to do three shakes though, I have one for breakfast and lunch and then the veg for dinner where I might use a bit of butter as I have spare calories. That's the only dairy though_ I drink mint tea and the odd black coffee. As I'm an engineer in a factory with a 2000 tonne furnace at one end drinking lots of water is a given!

Last edited by a moderator:
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Could some1 please tell me wat to do about this diet because I don't have the first clue where to start or where to purchase the things I need .. Please help

paulins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Gradually re-introducing foods and no problems at all so far! Have now included nuts, avocado, eggs, lean ham, and tomorrow am tackling bread (though low carb!). Will let you know.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Could some1 please tell me wat to do about this diet because I don't have the first clue where to start or where to purchase the things I need .. Please help
Hi, and welcome.

Have a look at the forum home page, section low calorie diets. Everything you need to know is there. Also have a read of this thread. Then come and ask specific questions.

Best wishes
Pipp

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Gradually re-introducing foods and no problems at all so far! Have now included nuts, avocado, eggs, lean ham, and tomorrow am tackling bread (though low carb!). Will let you know.
Good, hope you are enjoying the tastes.