Never Hungry

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@zand , I feel for you . I've never been on Citalopram, but haas friend who was and she said it was like a compulsive hunger that was never satisfied, even when she felt nauseous :( She did change to another one fairly early on because she was piling on the weight and did fine on that . Apparently, it's a side effect that affects some people and not others :rolleyes: So as has been suggested, it may be that you need to go back to the GP . I hope you are feeling a bit better ?

Signy

Thanks. Well yes, I've only been taking them 10 days and I'm through the nauseous stage and I am feeling much better, they seem to be working well....except for this awful hunger all the time. I am drinking plenty of water to try to fill myself up, but I'm still starving! I will have to go back to my GP if this keeps on happening. It's a shame because otherwise I quite like these pills, I wish I had asked for help 18 years ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks. Well yes, I've only been taking them 10 days and I'm through the nauseous stage and I'm am feeling much better, they seem to be working well....except for this awful hunger all the time. I am drinking plenty of water to try to fill myself up, but I'm still starving! I will have to go back to my GP if this keeps on happening. It's a shame because otherwise I quite like these pills, I wish I had asked for help 18 years ago.
I'd check with the GP , perhaps the hunger is a transient thing like the nausea ? I'm so pleased that you are starting to feel better :) The hardest bit I think is asking for help in the first place .

Signy

Reactions: 3 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks. Well yes, I've only been taking them 10 days and I'm through the nauseous stage and I'm am feeling much better, they seem to be working well....except for this awful hunger all the time. I am drinking plenty of water to try to fill myself up, but I'm still starving! I will have to go back to my GP if this keeps on happening. It's a shame because otherwise I quite like these pills, I wish I had asked for help 18 years ago.
that makes sense that you are new to them, I've had 3 brands and been on and off them for a few years.

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a pronounced reduction in hunger when I low carb. The more consistent and strict I am, the less hunger feelings I have. For a while there is a kind of "ghost" hunger that is just psychological, then that goes too.

Spiker, You said somewhere that eating fat had made the difference recently. Can I ask what you do about fat and protein - how high do you go, and what sort of fats?

I was having huge hunger problems after stopping Metformin, but though bulletproof coffee and fat in general do seem to help, I still find it quite hard to grasp eating that much fat (counter-rationally). So can you share how much fat you eat?

I'm using Jenny Ruhl's calculator on her Blood Sugar 101/Diet page as a guide. Have you found that reliable? It tells me to eat, with the 30g carb, up to 82g protein and 187g fat.

Slow fat convert,

Lucy

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks. Well yes, I've only been taking them 10 days and I'm through the nauseous stage and I am feeling much better, they seem to be working well....except for this awful hunger all the time. I am drinking plenty of water to try to fill myself up, but I'm still starving! I will have to go back to my GP if this keeps on happening. It's a shame because otherwise I quite like these pills, I wish I had asked for help 18 years ago.
Brilliant if you already feel a positive effect from them, but if side effects are too difficult to cope with, do try some other kind of SSRI. I had good help from Cipramil in the nineties when I started to develop hypothyroidism - depression is a common symptom of hypothyroidism - and also was vitamin D deficient, also common with hypothyroidism and most other autoimmune conditions and known to cause depression.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Spiker, You said somewhere that eating fat had made the difference recently. Can I ask what you do about fat and protein - how high do you go, and what sort of fats?

...I still find it quite hard to grasp eating that much fat (counter-rationally). So can you share how much fat you eat?

I don't measure the fat. I measure the carbs and the protein (which for me counts as 1/3 carbs), keeping both to a minimum, preferring protein over carbs wherever I can. I eat as much fat as I can in as many different ways as I can, as often as I can, and this is what defeats food cravings.

Personally I try to keep carbs to 60-75g / day or less. For starters 150g or 100g/day may work for you. Others go as low as 30g.

It's not counter-rational by the way, it's just counter a habit of thought based on a false claim, "fat alone makes you fat".

Reactions: 4 people
K

Kat100

Well I used to be like all of you. When I reduced carbs I stopped feeling hungry. However, I've just started taking some new medication and I'm hungry all the time now, regardless of how much fat I eat. It isn't very nice.:(
I read about the finger tapping technique a while ago ...think it was on the sweet freedom site ...they seemed to have good results with those who were trying the method out ...wish I could remember how it worked ....just a method to,control those times when we feel really hungry. There must be other techniques as well....
I have used tools that change your thinking patterns before ...but it does take a lot of will power ....:banghead:

Reactions: 4 people

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who interrupt you when you're talking and people who won't listen.
Thanks guys, that's interesting - I hadn't connected it with the low carb eating ,and precious carb intake affecting hunger . Thinking back it started to happen before I changed my diet, but that wasn't, I think, when I was suffering from depression and that's why at that time.

I'm glad it's not just me though, I was beginning to think it was another manifestation of Just Plain Weird :D

@zand , I feel for you . I've never been on Citalopram, but haas friend who was and she said it was like a compulsive hunger that was never satisfied, even when she felt nauseous :(
Signy
Gosh that's me normally:rolleyes:

Alice233

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You need to see your Dr asap. Sounds like you may have ketones. If your blood sugar is very hi for an extended time. A acid builds up in your blood causing tiredness, weight loss it gets worse and worse. You need to see your Dr, you may need insulin immediately.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You need to see your Dr asap. Sounds like you may have ketones. If your blood sugar is very hi for an extended time. A acid builds up in your blood causing tiredness, weight loss it gets worse and worse. You need to see your Dr, you may need insulin immediately.
Who's this directed to? The OP has a very good grip on her blood glucose levels and is a T1, already on insulin.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I was having huge hunger problems after stopping Metformin, but though bulletproof coffee and fat in general do seem to help, I still find it quite hard to grasp eating that much fat (counter-rationally). So can you share how much fat you eat?

I'm using Jenny Ruhl's calculator on her Blood Sugar 101/Diet page as a guide. Have you found that reliable? It tells me to eat, with the 30g carb, up to 82g protein and 187g fat.

Slow fat convert,

Lucy
with her calculator, her protein is higher for the 2 weeks to switch to fat burning to reduce symptoms, from memory it's written somewhere because this has come up before, if you have LCHF for a couple of weeks, drop your protein back to normal

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
I noticed today that I don't feel hunger. In fact I can't remember the last time I felt hungry, and seem to have lost physical indicators that I need to eat :confused: Even at hypo level, there are no symptoms of hunger at all.

It's not a loss of appetite as such, I eat to refuel but can go for hours and hours in between meals without any internal reminder that I need to eat, so if I'm absorbed in something or just plain busy, I forget to eat :rolleyes: And don't feel any need to eat, it's hard to describe . Previously I knew that food was needed, and experienced intense hunger with hypos.

I think in retrospect this has been the case for a couple of years now. Has anyone else experienced this, and has the feeling of hunger returned ?

Signy
I can not recall when I felt hungry, honestly before getting diagnosed my hunger pains and pangs were from falling on the floor due to low blood sugar. Every time I asked the doc, should I be concerned he was like no. So now I use an alarm to ensure I eat at regular intervals.

Celeriac

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I used to snack all day when I worked in an office because I was bored. I worked in a very wealthy area of London which was full of foodie shops and I thoroughly explored them all at lunchtimes, but despite snacking on the train home and taking treats home for my parents, I was size 12. I did compete in cross country and showjumping though.

I don't get hungry unless I've been without any food for about 9 hrs which doesn't happen often.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I find I dont get hungry on LCHF and I have to remind myself to eat sometimes, especially if I am out walking. My lowest BS reading was 2.9 and it was while I was preparing dinner and I had no clue it was so low.

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I find I still get hungry, and still have to count the calories, or I can just keep going, no matter what I eat, or whether it's little and often, or one big meal.

I find fasting easier to cope with, once I get used to not eating, it's fine, until I start on the food again.

It would be boring if we were all the same I guess.