eating sugar does not increase my Blood glucose levels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been diagonised as a diabetic with HBA1C levels of 15 and my random blood sugar levels are around 350 to 450/ mgdl.

However uncontrolled this may be i realized that by blood sugar levels do not increase when i ingest sugar/chocolates and other sweets. I am i really diabetic or is it something else. None of the pills that i take have a lowering effect on my sugar levels. If anyone has a similar experience please discuss

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
with levels that high you probably will not see an increase after eating sugar as your system is saturated. You need to take it serious as you are doing huge damage to your internal organs, eyes, heart, blood vessels, nervous system. Yes you have diabetes and it doesnt really matter the hows or wherefores you just need to get control. Stop the sweets/sugar/carbs today. I really am surprised you are not in hospital.

Did they test you for ketones? Have they told you whether you are T1 or T2? What tablets have they put you on?

dave howard

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Feeling great and getting Inexplicable high and low blood sugar readings !
Sorry to hear you have been diagnosed as diabetic. This condition is potentially dangerous to your health if left untreated. Denial is common especially among newly diagnosed patients, please do not fool yourself into thinking that your treatment and/or diet are unneccessary, the long term is what you need to keep in mind. Neuropathy, blindness and internal organ failure are far too high a price to pay for refusing to believe that you have diabetes. Keep using this fantastic forum, there is a mountain of help here, just keep asking.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been diagonised as a diabetic with HBA1C levels of 15 and my random blood sugar levels are around 350 to 450/ mgdl.

However uncontrolled this may be i realized that by blood sugar levels do not increase when i ingest sugar/chocolates and other sweets. I am i really diabetic or is it something else. None of the pills that i take have a lowering effect on my sugar levels. If anyone has a similar experience please discuss

I agree with @Andrew Colvin 's post, in terms of your saturation levels. In your shoes, you should be considering more what happens to your bloods when you don't eat sugar. By sugar, I would be including bread, potatoes and pasta into that mix, because of how the digestion works.

Harpar

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
With BG levels that high you need to seriously reduce the amount of carbs you eat, as said before that includes all white goods, bread, pasta, pastry, spuds, biscuits, sweets, sugar, chocolate, sweetened drinks etc. etc. levels over 140mg/dl are causing damage and the higher they are the more damage is being done. Stop messing and put your health first.

Reactions: 2 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Your profile says you are insulin?

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
It does indeed...Hmmm

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
with levels that high you probably will not see an increase after eating sugar as your system is saturated. You need to take it serious as you are doing huge damage to your internal organs, eyes, heart, blood vessels, nervous system. Yes you have diabetes and it doesnt really matter the hows or wherefores you just need to get control. Stop the sweets/sugar/carbs today. I really am surprised you are not in hospital.

Did they test you for ketones? Have they told you whether you are T1 or T2? What tablets have they put you on?

Thanks for the reply, however the 'saturation' you mentioned may not hold true in my case as:

before eating 1 packet of biscuits 350mg/dl
After eating 1 packet of biscuits 550+mg/dl

before eating 1 veg sandwich 350mg/dl
after eating 1 veg sandwich 475 mg/dl

BUT

before eating a bar of chocolate 350mg/dl
after eating a bar of chocolate 320 - 350mg/dl

before eating 2 tablespoons of sugar 350mgdl
after eating 2 tablespoons of sugar 340 mg/dl

As regards keytones, i have none, and my thyroid levels are normal. I was put on reclide and galvus which do not make any difference on my sugar levels. I am taking 24 units of insulin TRESIBA

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
How long after your first bite of food are you testing? This makes a big difference.

annelise

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unfriendly and bigotted persons; i.e. persons who do not have an open or enquiring mind - but all within reason - persons may have a reason to appear as such - we will never know their backgrounds or where they come from ...
Anna and all - Is this thread for real? And why ingest sugar/chocolates and other sweets? - and why eat two tablespoons of sugar? My head is reeling here ...

And as to eating a packet of biscuits and reaching 550+ mg/dl (about 30 mmol/L), this would send me straight to the A&E or to my doctor as an emergency case.

annelise

Reactions: 5 people

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know someone who thought that the higher the BS number the better. .Her premature death was rapid after she suffered a stroke that left her totally paralysed and unable to breathe. So please control your BS. I am still disturbed by seeing her in hospital knowing that she could hear us but was unable to respond in any way.

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know someone who thought that the higher the BS number the better. .Her premature death was rapid after she suffered a stroke that left her totally paralysed and unable to breathe. So please control your BS. I am still disturbed by seeing her in hospital knowing that she could hear us but was unable to respond in any way.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Anna and all - Is this thread for real? And why ingest sugar/chocolates and other sweets? - and why eat two tablespoons of sugar? My head is reeling here ...

And as to eating a packet of biscuits and reaching 550+ mg/dl (about 30 mmol/L), this would send me straight to the A&E or to my doctor as an emergency case.

annelise
I never discount the stupidity of some people ..but it's probably not, if a person knows enough to test 1.5 to 2 hr after a meal, they know enough not to eat a packet of biscuits and 2 tablespoons of sugar

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I never discount the stupidity of some people ..but it's probably not, if a person knows enough to test 1.5 to 2 hr after a meal, they know enough not to eat a packet of biscuits and 2 tablespoons of sugar

talking about stupidity, i think you are an idiot of the first order. First of all you seem to be an illiterate (uneducated too) as you could hardly read or understand my post and instead of helping me out you seem to be making a mockery of my disease

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
talking about stupidity, i think you are an idiot of the first order. First of all you seem to be an illiterate (uneducated too) as you could hardly read or understand my post and instead of helping me out you seem to be making a mockery of my disease
I'm giving you the benefit of doubt and gave what I consider very good first advise in post number 6 and 10.
are you legit? you might be, you might not be..time will tell

starting at 350/20 and eating a packet of biscuits to 550/30 will win you the Darwin award

Last edited by a moderator:

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok , I'll bite :rolleyes:
I would imagine that as you are taking a basal insulin that mimics the background output of insulin, and you are eating a vast amount of carbohydrate that converts to glucose, the oral meds that you are taking are unable to deal with it . The background will be stopping you from having even higher BG levels than you are currently experiencing, but they remain too high all the same . You won't notice a significant increase on already high levels after eating high carbohydrate meals because the Tresiba and oral meds are doing their job , but are unable to combat such unrestrained intake of glucose. Thus, high levels ( too high) are comparatively stable.

Signy

Status
Not open for further replies.