Colds and flu

angelicbaby

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have developed a cold :hungover:. And I have found that getting something to treat it is a bit of a nightmare. Cough syrups are rammed with sugar and according to my research anything with pseudoephedrine or phenylephrine can prevent insulin secretion further with diabetics who are already insulin resistant.

So far I am taking echinacea, paracetamol when my temperature feels too high, lots of sugar free squash type drinks, otravine saline spray for my blocked nose.

Does anyone here have any recommendations for helping me through this?

kimmykib

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Coke a cola anything too sweet an anything with dairy in as lactose intolerant
Hey hun try hot honey an lemon its not full of sugar it has some but it does help I know how u feel I dread gettin a cold or flu but if its because u have a hangover try some dioraltye for a boost I have chicken soup nettle an peppermint tea ( good energy boost n makes me feel muh better) an I just get vix vapo rub an steam myslef too an plus get plenty of sleep and just let ur body fight it x

Reactions: 2 people

angelicbaby

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't actually have a hangover. The "smilie" didn't have one for sick so I thought this one matched how I feel. lol.

Do you mean making my own honey and lemon drink? I was a bit scared of using honey to be honest just in case my blood sugar raises so high I will feel more ill. Don't have nettle, but definitely will try peppermint tea. And definitely will give the "vapor rub" a go.

kimmykib

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Yes u only u maybe a teaspoon of honey an lemon too to hot water give it a good stir add some sweetner if its not sweet as the lemon will have a tang it sends ur sugar up a little but hardly at all cos the honey is not as sweet as u think well tht is from my experience I swear by it

An u can buy twinnings peppermint an nettle tea an its really nice lol an if ur cold is really bad try eating more orange or get some vitamin c tabs my hubby has them threw winter an he never gets a cold c

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Paracetamol and plenty of fluids is all I ever take, but if you ask your pharmacist for something suitable for a diabetic they may have something for you.

As winter is fast approaching don't forget to get your flu jab, you don't have to get it done at your gp surgery if it doesn't suit, the likes of Asda pharmacies offer the jab for free to diabetics, they just simply take some details from you and they let your Dr know that you've had the flu jab, this is how I did it last year, far better than having to fit in with the surgery's timetable for getting the flu jab.

Reactions: 4 people

kimmykib

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I have my flu jab every year trust me it help ☆☆

angelicbaby

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ah yes, the dreaded flu jab. My Surgery Nurse mentioned that one at my last appointment. I tried to cover my ears and ignore - now I'm all snotty :(

kimmykib

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Awwwww bless u please get it honestly flu can kill especially people with long time medical issues an it is a life saver honest :)

N

NicolaB70

I'm in the same, I've come out in a stinking cold yesterday and feel c••p. I did take a couple of cold and flu tablets yesterday morning but took paracetamol for the rest of the day. I have some menthol crystals which I put hot water and inhale the vapours under a towel. They are great for unblocking sinuses/ noses and even helped with my sore throat. Hope you feel better soon

N

NicolaB70

Where do you get menthol crystals? I've not heard of them toll now.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App
I got mine on prescription from my gp for something else but I know amazon sell them (£2 - £3 a a pot) and I'm sure you'd be able to get them from a chemist. If you do get a pot, I strongly advise that you only put 2-3 crystals in the water, as more then that can be very potent and overpowering

Reactions: 3 people
N

NicolaB70

Thanks. I may source some.
I used some last night just before I went to bed and it totally unblocked my nose and then I smeared some Vicks on when I went to bed. I didn't wake up once with a blocked or runny nose during the night and actually managed to sleep all night for the 1st time since Monday night.

angelicbaby

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sounds like a good remedy. I don't know whether it is the cold causing it, but my morning blood sugars are a little higher than usual so anything I can do to not raise them further is good. I'm going to look for a packet of menthol crystals today. I think waking up in the middle of the night because your cold is smothering you is one of the worst symptoms of a cold so I'm glad you eventually got a little sleep.

angelicbaby

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have some menthol crystals which I put hot water and inhale the vapours under a towel. They are great for unblocking sinuses/ noses and even helped with my sore throat.

Purchased some Menthol Crystals from Lloyds Pharmacy. I think they were about £2.20 for a 5g bottle. The crystals are tiny but followed advice from you and pharmacy to use just two slithers. I am using them in a vapour cup (a sealed cup with silicone nasal cup attached). Used it last night and it actually helped break down some of the mucus on my chest - I know - too much information :yuck:. I think it has broken my colds back so thank you very much for the help.:)

N

NicolaB70

Purchased some Menthol Crystals from Lloyds Pharmacy. I think they were about £2.20 for a 5g bottle. The crystals are tiny but followed advice from you and pharmacy to use just two slithers. I am using them in a vapour cup (a sealed cup with silicone nasal cup attached). Used it last night and it actually helped break down some of the mucus on my chest - I know - too much information :yuck:. I think it has broken my colds back so thank you very much for the help.:)
That's okay, your quite welcome. Glad there helping, I know my chest is loosening and clearing a lot quicker since using them, then to what it did beforehand.

manicarrie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey hun try hot honey an lemon its not full of sugar it has some but it does help I know how u feel I dread gettin a cold or flu but if its because u have a hangover try some dioraltye for a boost I have chicken soup nettle an peppermint tea ( good energy boost n makes me feel muh better) an I just get vix vapo rub an steam myslef too an plus get plenty of sleep and just let ur body fight it x
Hi, with regards the Dioralyte, the leaflet in the packaging states NOT for diabetics, so may be worth checking with the GP before using this. Last time I used it (for a stomach bug, didn't check the leaflet as had used it years before diagnosis) I ended up in hospital with DKA.