Foot ulcer developed from minor surface scratch

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
When I scraped the front of my leg on the step of a ladder it took nearly a year to grow new skin and not need redressing, though even now its still tender and its not dropped the scab, am reluctant to soak it off just in case its not totally healed.

Reactions: 2 people

Adele99

When I scraped the front of my leg on the step of a ladder it took nearly a year to grow new skin and not need redressing, though even now its still tender and its not dropped the scab, am reluctant to soak it off just in case its not totally healed.

I'm hoping this won't happen as it's on the top of my foot and making it painful to wear any type of shoes. And winter lies not too far ahead , as can be seen by the darker night settling in. And already my legs can feel the change in temperature. Used to love winter when it was dry cold, crisp and sharp outside, but now it's public enemy number 1 for me.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
@satindoll Shins are funny things though, even as a fit healthy youngster (about 10 years ago) I walked into the towbar of my car and ripped open the skin on the front of the shin and that took over 6 months to fully heal.

@Adele99 sad to read about your foot and even now it isn't improving just halted. I have my fingers crossed for you.

Reactions: 2 people

Adele99

Sorry for lack of updates not been online recently. I developed a bad allergy to the Inadine dressings being used , which caused a fair size burned area of skin on my foot, which then started going black. After heavy antibiotics, numerous different dressings, and restricted walking, looks like things may finally be on the up, as it is finally looking like it 's turned a corner and will sort itself. Long time for something so silly and a hard lesson learned on my part.

On a slight down side it seems my restricted movement has caused me to develop plantar fasciitis, which is fairly painful in my good foot. However better that than the other alternative.

As a point of interest the Vascular surgeon said ulcers and wounds on the top of the foot are most commonly started by people accidentally spilling hot drinks on their feet .

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Hope your improved very soon and ready to dance the quick step adele99:))

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry for lack of updates not been online recently. I developed a bad allergy to the Inadine dressings being used , which caused a fair size burned area of skin on my foot, which then started going black. After heavy antibiotics, numerous different dressings, and restricted walking, looks like things may finally be on the up, as it is finally looking like it 's turned a corner and will sort itself. Long time for something so silly and a hard lesson learned on my part.

On a slight down side it seems my restricted movement has caused me to develop plantar fasciitis, which is fairly painful in my good foot. However better that than the other alternative.

As a point of interest the Vascular surgeon said ulcers and wounds on the top of the foot are most commonly started by people accidentally spilling hot drinks on their feet .
adele, I'm sorry this is still going on, I just assumed it cleared up, as the few times I've recently seen you have posted, it wasn't mentioned ...it really is bigger than a ben hur marathon ..keep well, wishes to you and your partner

H

Hooked

Gawd, you have really been through it with your feet. Hope things continue to improve.
Thanks for updating for us, I often wondered how your feet were doing now.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So glad things are looking up for you.

Xxlisaxx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I did the same thing, and I now have a full blown foot ulcer, dressed every week and for over two years it's never changed,,,, became so weak all five metatarsals literally snapped!! Not my foot is deformed,,,, podiatrist kept saying it was swollen cos if the ulcer, but it was killing me,,, walked around for weeks until she FINALLY sent me for an xray to reveal five broken bones, but mended back together completely crossed over. My foot is deformed, I now have "Charcot" syndrome!!! The ulcer has given me 7 hospital stays, seriously ill and with infection, cellulitis etc,,, it's a nightmare!!!! I have the most terrifying photos of my foot! The ulcer AND deformed foot it's just awful and I've always looked after mine, NEVER worn high heels in my life!! Always taken good care of them. One tiny cut on the ball of my foot, and of course u walk on the ball of the foot so obviously it was getting no rest from pressure... Special shoes were arranged from usa,,, 15 months ago?!?! Still not even here yet!!

I am the ultimate in "example of a diabetic foot ulcer" :(:(:(

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
I did the same thing, and I now have a full blown foot ulcer, dressed every week and for over two years it's never changed,,,, became so weak all five metatarsals literally snapped!! Not my foot is deformed,,,, podiatrist kept saying it was swollen cos if the ulcer, but it was killing me,,, walked around for weeks until she FINALLY sent me for an xray to reveal five broken bones, but mended back together completely crossed over. My foot is deformed, I now have "Charcot" syndrome!!! The ulcer has given me 7 hospital stays, seriously ill and with infection, cellulitis etc,,, it's a nightmare!!!! I have the most terrifying photos of my foot! The ulcer AND deformed foot it's just awful and I've always looked after mine, NEVER worn high heels in my life!! Always taken good care of them. One tiny cut on the ball of my foot, and of course u walk on the ball of the foot so obviously it was getting no rest from pressure... Special shoes were arranged from usa,,, 15 months ago?!?! Still not even here yet!!

So sorry to hear you are going through hell at the moment ,sending you hugs and very best wishes, ::))

mollycat1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
can`t think of any !

Only just read your message - how scary ! I look after my feet and am very vain - I love pretty shoes ! I really should know better though as I have a twin sister who is a Type 1 - since she was 4 years old. (We are both 60 now !) She was a theatre sister and had to retire early due to foot problems (the fact that she stood in clogs all day at the operating table didn`t` help!) She has since had a lower leg amputation ! She was fastidious with her foot care - diabetes is a really cruel disease !
Take care - thinking of you x