Raw food & diabetes

B

badcat

I've seen this before but watched it again today.i find the premis quite interesting and maybe something that explains why I'm currently finding I can drink loads of freshly juiced fruit & veg (& therefore pretty high carb) without BS spikes

AlexMBrennan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If any of these claims are true - yes, they explicitly claim that their fad diet will cure type 1 - then these doctors could go to any journal, and collect their Nobel price within a month... So why do they prefer to sell treatments to desperate patients who have no way of verifying these claims or whether this treatment is effective?

Also, one of the first things they said is that diabetes has become increasingly prevalent in the last few decades, and this means that we need a big change... Except the problem with that idea is that 100 years ago (when diabetes was rare) people weren't eating only raw vegetables, so claiming that they have been able to identify us not eating raw food as the cause of anything is absurd.

Edit to add: In a bit more detail: http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/simply-raw-making-overcooked-claims-about-raw-food-diets/

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Whenever the subject of juicing comes up, I have a gut reaction of

'Noooo! Too much sugar! Why not drink green smoothies instead?'

The proof of the pudding is what your BG meter says is happening to your body.

With me, juices spiked me to unacceptable levels.
While green smoothies there was barely any BG impact, make me feel fab, give slow release for hours, and give amazing levels of nutrition.

See link in my sig, if you want any recipes.

B

badcat

Whenever the subject of juicing comes up, I have a gut reaction of

'Noooo! Too much sugar! Why not drink green smoothies instead?'

The proof of the pudding is what your BG meter says is happening to your body.
With me, juices spiked me to unacceptable levels.
While green smoothies there was barely any BG impact, make me feel fab, give slow release for hours, and give amazing levels of nutrition.

See link in my sig, if you want any recipes.
Cheers
I find some juices cause spikes but others are good - I've devised a delicious mix of 5 carrot,2 apple,a knob of ginger,a handful of kale,1/2 Beetroot,1/2 cucumber, 1red pepper, 1/2 a Romaaine lettuce,and 5 stalks celery celery that makes enough juice for 2 meals and keeps my BG at an acceptable and relatively flat level. I've tried a number of juice recipes from Jason vales books but have found they spike my sugars too much

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cheers
I find some juices cause spikes but others are good - I've devised a delicious mix of 5 carrot,2 apple,a knob of ginger,a handful of kale,1/2 Beetroot,1/2 cucumber, 1red pepper, 1/2 a Romaaine lettuce,and 5 stalks celery celery that makes enough juice for 2 meals and keeps my BG at an acceptable and relatively flat level. I've tried a number of juice recipes from Jason vales books but have found they spike my sugars too much
Ooh, yum. Like that recipe.

Have you tried adding in avocado or nuts?
It was a suggestion I found on the vitamix website (I think), and my goodness it was a lightbulb moment.
Made the smoothie so creamy and satisfying.
Macadamia nuts are fab!

I've also played with adding in a few 'superfoods' like wheatgrass, barley grass, spiralina, msm and macca.

At one point I was virtually living on smoothies, and feeling fantastic, but then the autumn weather struck and I veered into more warming stuff. But I still have them regularly, and am sure that they have had a huge impact on my immune system - my partner gets a couple of colds a year, min. I have only had one in 2.5 years. Thank goodness!

Alice233

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Any low-carbohydrate food is good for diabetes, as low carb does not spike blood sugar.

Doesn't matter if it is raw or cooked.

Great low-carb options include all non-starchy vegetables, protein (meat, fish, eggs), avocadoes, olives.

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
I can not get my head around any of it l like to bite veg the thought of drinking them makes me shudder....not because of glucose just the drink part guess l am old fashioned.

spaceman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
rarding raw food, beetroot,apples,cucumber,tomatoes,onions but ive never tried raw carrots the other day i saw a man eating raw potato

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Let's think of this logically (or at least my version of it) and it's all about GI

Eat an apple and you get the roughage from the cell membrane as well as the sugars, which is harder to digest and slows the release of sugars.

Press out the juice and you have no fibre to reduce the rate of absorption - might as well just drink coke as the GI is about the same.

Take some raw veg and put them in a smoothie (no fruit juice added) and you are probably not breaking down the cell membranes very much at all, coupled with the generally lower sugar content, higher fibre content, maintains a low GI.

Add the apple or orange into the smoothie, or put it through a juicer and you've lost the advantage again.