New Freestyle Flash monitor.

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Having high blood sugars!!!!!
Been speaking to my DSN about this. And today the teams at Kings College have been given a presentation on it. I asked my DSN if they would accept readings from this system, for correction/bolsus on a pump.

Got an email back today saying Kings would accept readings from the monitor for that reason. But at the moment readings will not be accepted for pre driving ( as it's a new thing) but DVLA and an expert panel are now looking at this.

My DSN has given me prices, as told by the Abbott REP. Start up £138.00 for monitor and 2 sensors, lasting 14 days. And sensor costs are £40.00 pounds each. Then she told me I have a trail of the system on the 25th September, where I will meet up with my DSN and the Abbott rep. YAY :). I can't get over this and I can't wait.

Reactions: 13 people

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Wow you lucky thing!

Want all the ins and outs :) especially can sensors be extended... :D

I was wondering earlier if it might be possible to get the monitor stand alone froim the NHS or Abbott? also what sticks it takes...

Enjoy it anyway :D

Reactions: 2 people

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ahhhh so jealous you're trialling it! Those prices are really not bad to self funding. Looking forward to it going in the open market!

I'm at the hospital on 1st October for 3 month pump check in. I will be asking if they'll accept the readings for me there too

Reactions: 3 people

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
Julie, do you think Kings College has a good diabetes clinic? I like the sound of them from your post above? It's the one in London I'm assuming?

Bet

Dillinger

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Once I get it, I'll let you know, feel like a kid with a new toy. And I'll post pics as well, been told monitor is the size of the insulux meter and that it takes an hur for the sensor to start working. Hubby has promised that tomorrow he is putting the money aside for me as part of a very early christmas present.

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Dillinger, yes Kings College is Denmark Hill. It has an OUTSTANDING diabetes team. When I was offered the chance to transfer out of local care, I went yes please, first appointment full check up over an hour in with the Prof, who at the end said you need a pump. Less than a month later I'm starting a pump. App in July this year an hour again, Said I thought I needed my basal changing and that I had tried changing it. Prof was happy, but told me I hadn't been quite aggressive enough, and set me up a whole new basal for time of work. Christmas had set prob, rang Kings out of hours emergency number. 30 mins latter Proff on phone(she works christmas, so team has time off). Gave readings told tbr for 24hrs asked when I would be eating again I said prob about XXX, 20 mins before eating she's back on the phone checking how I am and what the readings were like. I can't fault them, they have people from Wales going their. Why do you ask?? If you don't mind me asking?

Reactions: 4 people

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
Hi Julie,

I'm thinking of changing from my current diabetes clinic which is fairly hopeless and Denmark Hill isn't too far from me.

I've heard other people say it's very good but haven't actually spoken to someone who goes there.

Thanks for the reply!

Best

Dillinger

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dillinger, yes Kings College is Denmark Hill. It has an OUTSTANDING diabetes team. When I was offered the chance to transfer out of local care, I went yes please, first appointment full check up over an hour in with the Prof, who at the end said you need a pump. Less than a month later I'm starting a pump. App in July this year an hour again, Said I thought I needed my basal changing and that I had tried changing it. Prof was happy, but told me I hadn't been quite aggressive enough, and set me up a whole new basal for time of work. Christmas had set prob, rang Kings out of hours emergency number. 30 mins latter Proff on phone(she works christmas, so team has time off). Gave readings told tbr for 24hrs asked when I would be eating again I said prob about XXX, 20 mins before eating she's back on the phone checking how I am and what the readings were like. I can't fault them, they have people from Wales going their. Why do you ask?? If you don't mind me asking?

That sounds amazing. Mine is fine but that sounds so much better. As I don't have any major issues I often feel a bit ignored, but I do know those that have struggled have had multiple calls in a day. I see them every 6 months for hba1c and quick 5 minute chat before hustled out the door. Kings is a bit for to travel for me though ;)

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Julie,

I'm thinking of changing from my current diabetes clinic which is fairly hopeless and Denmark Hill isn't too far from me.

I've heard other people say it's very good but haven't actually spoken to someone who goes there.

Thanks for the reply!

Best

Dillinger
KCH is awesome. Literally world-leading in many areas. Go! :)

Reactions: 2 people

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Where are you hale710??? And Spiker :rolleyes:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Start again after posting my reply in the wrong thread :rolleyes:

Very good Julie, just a pity the sensors are £40 a time, this will put it out of reach for a lot of people seeing that they'll still need to get bg strips as well on prescription, it would be fine if you can self-fund.

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
But with those self funding, like myself, when it comes out ( with hubby's help :)) hopefully it should bring the price down a bit, in time and when Nice, see the value of it, they may fund via the NHS, fingers x.

Reactions: 5 people

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
When you look at it actually the monitor is fairly cheap (£60) which I would assume is not far from the cost of most BG meters (I would assume the Accu=chek expert is def similar). You can pick most of these up for free without strips. I figure it wont be long before these are the same.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
With luck this will be almost-CGM for the masses. I really really hope so.

How many tests a month does a diabetic gotta do before 80 quid a month for unlimited tests becomes a good deal for NICE?

Not to mention the value of downloading the continuous BG trace for later analysis by ourselves, HCPs, iCloud hackers (er I'll stop there!)

Reactions: 6 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Where are you hale710??? And Spiker :rolleyes:
I'm with GSTT, Guy's and Tommies, for historical reasons even though I now live in KCH's patch. I go to GSTT for most things but KCH for other things and they are great. They are tops on pumps, islet transfusion, psychotherapy support, loads. They are literally world class.

I shouldn't be saying this because everyone will go! :)

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
hale, yep that's a bit far. Glad I got in early Spiker ;).

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How do I get transferred?!