How did you feel about switching onto injections?

forge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Getting old and everything that goes with it. All the repeats on TV. The drongos who ring me up to sell me things. Religious havens for pedophiles and war-mongers.
I once heard a woman say you don't have to be lonely if you do not want to.

There is more to the story but she was right.

fairiesue

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes, being lonely, being so far from my family...they live in Scotland i now live in England (3yr) spiders, smokers,
I once heard a woman say you don't have to be lonely if you do not want to.

There is more to the story but she was right.
Ok thats all good but life isn't always that simple....49yr old scottish woman moved to rugby 16 months ago had racial abuse, english don't want to know their neighbours, don't aknowledge you at anytime, hubby works and daughter at school, tried lookin for somewhere to meet people but down here its all costly.........now im feeling low again sorry but i cant finish this post..........take care...smile...xxx

forge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Getting old and everything that goes with it. All the repeats on TV. The drongos who ring me up to sell me things. Religious havens for pedophiles and war-mongers.
All I can suggest is try volunteering, you can help someone and get a bit of company at the same time.

Around here there are lots of volunteering opportunities. Schools, courts, hospitals, police, nursing homes, environmental, libraries, meals on wheels, bush fire brigades, sporting clubs,plus all the charities. here use volunteers,

claymic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok thats all good but life isn't always that simple....49yr old scottish woman moved to rugby 16 months ago had racial abuse, english don't want to know their neighbours, don't aknowledge you at anytime, hubby works and daughter at school, tried lookin for somewhere to meet people but down here its all costly.........now im feeling low again sorry but i cant finish this post..........take care...smile...xxx
Hi I am not too far away from rugby. Pm me if you want.

Oh I am already depressed I think hence why I am struggling to do anything about it. I hate my diabetes with a vengeance. I am at the hospital on Monday and I am going on a desmond course at the end of the month

fairiesue

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes, being lonely, being so far from my family...they live in Scotland i now live in England (3yr) spiders, smokers,
Hiya, having no control over getting something like diabetes really pulls you down and constantl having to think about yourself is a pure pain. So its no wonder we go through mood changes and depression then we have to worry abot what we put in our mouth constantly. How long have you been diabetic? I have had it 10yrs and im only now realising I have to be the one in control not it
Good luck at the hospital. What's th Desmond course?
Take care..smile...xxx

fairiesue

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All I can suggest is try volunteering, you can help someone and get a bit of company at the same time.

Around here there are lots of volunteering opportunities. Schools, courts, hospitals, police, nursing homes, environmental, libraries, meals on wheels, bush fire brigades, sporting clubs,plus all the charities. here use volunteers,
Hiya unfortunately i got myself a" simple caution" and it means no voluntary work or helping anyone who might be vulnerable!!! isn't that us all...thats why my depression is getting more control as im stuck in a rut now...honestly ...i stole a bag and a bottle of perfume for my daughter as i wanted to give her something nice.....stupid i know and im sooo not proud of doing that. Take care...smile...xxx

BJR

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I found by eliminating certain foods I reversed my type 2 diabetes. I had to be strict initially but now I have a snack attack now and again. If I listened to the doctors I would be on insulin 3 times a day and a tablet at night, making the drug companies even richer. I take nothing and all is good now....no wheat at all, no other grains but flatbreads from seeds are fine, protein at every meal, low carb as much as possible, fats are fine too as long as it's not trans fats. And of course no junk food

fairiesue

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I found by eliminating certain foods I reversed my type 2 diabetes. I had to be strict initially but now I have a snack attack now and again. If I listened to the doctors I would be on insulin 3 times a day and a tablet at night, making the drug companies even richer. I take nothing and all is good now....no wheat at all, no other grains but flatbreads from seeds are fine, protein at every meal, low carb as much as possible, fats are fine too as long as it's not trans fats. And of course no junk food
WOW now thats somethin to be proud of well done to you ; ) I really admire you having th determination to stic to this...unfortunately i am not that positive and will never have that complete desire to restrict my food copletely...take care...smile...xx

claymic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hiya, having no control over getting something like diabetes really pulls you down and constantl having to think about yourself is a pure pain. So its no wonder we go through mood changes and depression then we have to worry abot what we put in our mouth constantly. How long have you been diabetic? I have had it 10yrs and im only now realising I have to be the one in control not it
Good luck at the hospital. What's th Desmond course?
Take care..smile...xxx
The course is about eating exercising and generally how to deal with diabetes. I am sure they will be advocating eating carbohydrates etc. Plus I have been diabetic for 10 years as well. The hospital appointment went well. I am on victoza as well now so will see how it goes. I have gained 22 lbs in the 9 weeks I have been on insulin. Not a happy bunny

fairiesue

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The course is about eating exercising and generally how to deal with diabetes. I am sure they will be advocating eating carbohydrates etc. Plus I have been diabetic for 10 years as well. The hospital appointment went well. I am on victoza as well now so will see how it goes. I have gained 22 lbs in the 9 weeks I have been on insulin. Not a happy bunny
Oh my goodness you really are on a mixture of meds! I hated the Victoza as its side effect was making you feel sick then when you get used to it you don't feel like eating and thats why you lose weight...I really hope you manage better on it and the weight does come off for you.
Theres so many things to find out about dealing with diabetes but if you're not in a good place mentally then all that stuff gets pushed aside after a while and you stop thinking about yourself.
Good luck in your new adventures and please remember to smile ; ) good days are out there.
Take care...smile...xxx

gymJunki3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As part of our Diabetes Week questions, here's a question for people with type 2 diabetes who have gone onto injections -or are considering going onto injections.

How did (or do) you feel about switching onto injections?

Did/do you have any worries about going onto injections?
If/when you made the switch, how did you adapt to being on injections?
- was it easier or harder than you thought?
- was there any part of it that struck which you hadn't considered before going onto injections?

This question covers injections for insulin or for incretin mimetics like Byetta, Victoza and Bydureon

I am a DM2 for nine years now. Two years ago, from GalvusMet, I was put on insulin therapy to better manage my sugar. Because even with healthy diet, my sugar levels were above normal. Not to mention, I had to take a break from Metformin. I have been on Metformin for 7 straight years and it was messing with my liver functions.

They put me on a long active insulin pen, and so I injected once a day. I didn't have any worries, I trusted my doctor completely. I was excited even, since this was an insulin pen as opposed to the syringe. (I think if it was a syringe kind, i would have held back. Maybe?) When I was first diagnosed, it was suggested that i go into insulin therapy, but being a kid back then, i deferred the decision to my parents.

Being on injection was was easier and since I was on long acting insulin, I injected once a day. So no more missed pills. Plus not to mention managing my sugar level was easier.

However now, I am back to Metformin (500 mg). I got hooked into fitness, when I was still on insulin, I kept slipping into hypoglycemia, even 4 hours after my workout. So, I was taken out of insulin.

Last edited by a moderator:

fairiesue

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Injecting insulin was hard but it gets easier and over time i found the slightest pain was only taking the needle out after injecting! so it does seem stupid causing yourself pain to help your health ibut t's worth it in the end.
After my walk i find my sugars go up to the teens so its always a goodv a bad. Take care...smile...xxx

< sharon>

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
extreme hot weather
Went to see the doctor this morning and she has started me on victoza, got to go and see the nurse in the morning so she can show me how to use the pen thing. IM just hoping this new treatment will bring my bgs to better levels.

Reactions: 4 people

fairiesue

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Went to see the doctor this morning and she has started me on victoza, got to go and see the nurse in the morning so she can show me how to use the pen thing. IM just hoping this new treatment will bring my bgs to better levels.
Good luck starting your new meds, my only side effect when was on it was feeing sick until my body got used to it, i never felt hungry and lost a lot of weight due to it. No other problems so i'll keep my fingers crossed for you and wish you well...xxx

Reactions: 2 people

< sharon>

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
extreme hot weather
Good luck starting your new meds, my only side effect when was on it was feeing sick until my body got used to it, i never felt hungry and lost a lot of weight due to it. No other problems so i'll keep my fingers crossed for you and wish you well...xxx
Thanks fairysue starting at 0.6 mg for seven days then increasing it to 1.2 , really hope this does the trick .

destiny0321

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
people who think nothing is wrong with you because they do not see blood or a plaster cast, i suffer with arthritis & use a zimmer & wheelchair but because they cant see anything wrong people assume nothing is wrong with you.
Been on metformin sr now for over 4 yrs,on gliclizide 80 mg x 2 in morning & 80mg x 2 evening,sitagliptin 100mg 1 at breakfast,gabapentin 100mg x 2 a day just now been given my first injection nurse as put me on humulin 1 kwikpen. 8 units in morning only as have infection in toes also been in hospital a week with cellulitis seeing a vascular surgeon next week met him nearly 2 yrs ago when he removed one of my toes.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Tom Green

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
As part of our Diabetes Week questions, here's a question for people with type 2 diabetes who have gone onto injections -or are considering going onto injections.

How did (or do) you feel about switching onto injections?

Did/do you have any worries about going onto injections?
If/when you made the switch, how did you adapt to being on injections?
- was it easier or harder than you thought?
- was there any part of it that struck which you hadn't considered before going onto injections?

This question covers injections for insulin or for incretin mimetics like Byetta, Victoza and Bydureon
I in fact wanted to go on insulin. Asked my doctor for a year to put me on it.
I had no fear of injecting & injected myself without practice. Nurse showed me how & I did it in front of her. No pain or hesitation. I Ihave been on Lantus for a few months plus Diamicron. 54 units & 90 milligrams respectively.

destiny0321

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
people who think nothing is wrong with you because they do not see blood or a plaster cast, i suffer with arthritis & use a zimmer & wheelchair but because they cant see anything wrong people assume nothing is wrong with you.
I had no fear going onto insulin injections.been injecting myself from day 1.
They do not hurt.
For the first time in months my sugars got down to 5.7 so pleased.
I am on 8 units at moment but when they stop glizlizide I shall be on 33 units.
Shopping to insulin injection do not hurt at all so do not be afraid to go for it.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

A new man

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I have just started on humulin twice a day and dropped gliclazide and sitagliptin - I must say I have been pleasantly surprised by how easy and convenient it is - was never worried about the injecting but even that surprised me as I really don't feel a thing! Only issue was a night time borderline hypo the other day but started low carb yesterday and sugars much more consistent than they were before! All in all my diabetes is better than ever - just hope my diabetic nurse is understanding that I went against diet advice and in doing so had to cut back on insulin already ( she suggested I start on 2x 10 units morning and evening and up it by 2 units for each injection every 3 days til I see her next week but I have gone back to 10 in the morning and only 8 at before dinner (and dropped my evening metformin) as I don't need any more on the low carb diet my readings are around 5.5 average! Before insulin I was eating normal diet and getting in the teens a lot! I am one happy diabetic!