Dislikes
Diabetes
awww bless the poor dogs..... how cruel is nature grrrrr

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just found out that you can also take your vet prescription to some pharmacists for insulin packs.

Reactions: 2 people

Nessa J

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other
Some time ago I read a post with a dog owner asking about diabetes in dogs. I have found a great site that sells vet meds on prescription ( you have to post the script to them) and they are a lot cheaper than your average vet ..
Hope it helps if your dogs needing vet supplies

http://www.vet-medic.com/dogs-c348/diabetes-and-insulin-c366
Hi Has anyone had experience of their dog having seizures due to possible low blood sugar levels?..My dog has had several seizures and,I took her to the vet who couldn't treat her as,no set pattern of,seizures,epilepsy was initially diagnosed..
I have booked her in for a second opinion next week as,I noticed her 3rd seizure was just before I fed her later than usual. I have changed meals to twice a day instead of once.Jack Russel 12 yrs not,obese.

seaspray1998

Hi,

In America they are increasingly using MEDICAL cannabis (not the stuff that gets you high) to treat various conditions including seizures in pets.

It has proven very effective in humans suffering a number of conditions such as diabetes, epilepsy.

Google charlots web re humans etc

johnboy412000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Arrogant and ignorant people.
I must admit Diabetes in dogs was a new one on me when dad told me his dog had diabetes a few years ago.Up untill then id never heard of it.

Nessa J

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other
Hi,

In America they are increasingly using MEDICAL cannabis (not the stuff that gets you high) to treat various conditions including seizures in pets.

It has proven very effective in humans suffering a number of conditions such as diabetes, epilepsy.

Google charlots web re humans etc
Many thanks x x

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Nessa J sorry to hear your dog is having fits, there can be many causes and think you need to work with your vet to find the cause .. Older dogs are more prone to fits so it could be an age related condition ! I will be keeping my fingers crossed for a good outcome x

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When we got a dog I looked into diets that are nearest the natural diet that dogs evolved while eating.
No surprise to discover that it was low carb.

Yet almost all commercial dog food is chock full of grains and carbs and something called 'meat derivatives' which is basically the meat slurry left over after the meat industry gives up on getting anything else off the animal carcass. Lovely eh?

No wonder that the number of dogs being diagnosed with diabetes is shooting up.

It is easy to research high quality dog food brands that actually contain meat, don't contain grains, and have some nutritional value, but if anyone would like a shortcut, please pm me.

Strangely, I find myself far more militantly anti carb for our furred companions than for humans. :woot: Go figure. I also think raw is better than cooked, but that is another story...

Nessa J

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Other
@Nessa J sorry to hear your dog is having fits, there can be many causes and think you need to work with your vet to find the cause .. Older dogs are more prone to fits so it could be an age related condition ! I will be keeping my fingers crossed for a good outcome x
Mant thanks. x