Diabetes onset.

I've been Type 1 since 1983.

Just tested my 6 year old daughter's blood sugar and the result is 9.2.

Is this high enough for us to be concerned about her being diabetic? No history of diabetes in my family or her mother's.

Sensible to test again tomorrow but she cried like a baby and doesn't like needles. Gulp.

I did the test as she's been moody for a while.

Any thoughts/advice welcome.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That's my own fear for my daughters. :-(

9.2 is high enough to be worrying even as a post-meal test. Best to get her retested by a doctor. Fingers crossed.

Reactions: 2 people
...has she any of the other symptoms? Hoping she's ok.

No not really, she's a little overweight but I've been putting that down to portion sizes.

Always hungry but what kid isn't?

Tested blood sugar today because she's a moody little oik and I thought I might have noticed a link between food and mood.

She eats good food, home cooked meals etc. and drinks water and fruit juice not fizzy pop.

Anie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you are worried please seek medical advice, the way forward is NOT you testing her blood. I am horrified that you are doing this and I think that you could be in trouble if you continue .

andybee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you are worried please seek medical advice, the way forward is NOT you testing her blood. I am horrified that you are doing this and I think that you could be in trouble if you continue .

Agree; you need an unattached professional to be looking at this and that is how you should proceed. I understand your concerns though as I am a father of 2. Hope it works out OK and am sure that it will

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Was the blood test around 2 hours after a meal? If within an hour or thereabouts a level of 9-10 would not be unusual in a non-diabetic.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Was the blood test around 2 hours after a meal? If within an hour or thereabouts a level of 9-10 would not be unusual in a non-diabetic.
If it was a very carby meal.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Woah, keep this in perspective please. Last time I checked administering a glucose test is not child abuse or a criminal offence.

OP is looking for advice here and well aware of the need to see a medic if there is any cause or suspicion. There's no need to make these kind of statements when he is just looking out for his child.

Reactions: 8 people

Anie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry spiker, but if the child is distressed it is not the way to treat your child, and certainly not the way to make your child happy. I think you will find that social care would not take kindly to you stabbing your child's finger without very good reason and the correct way to deal with suspicions about your child's health is via a Dr.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
OK Anie, shop him to social services over a fingerprick when he's trying to safeguard his daughter's health. Dragging a 6 year old to the doctor without cause, now that's distressing to the child. He's not denying her cancer treatment or a blood transfusion. He's performing a simple diagnostic test that millions of us, including millions of children, perform multiple times every single day. You are making out that's some kind of child abuse. Frankly you should mind your own business about how other people look after their children. This guy is distressed and very worried about his daughter, trying to protect her, and on here asking for help. You may already have driven him away from this good source of help and support with these harsh and unwarranted criticism of his parenting.

Reactions: 19 people

craig81

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would agree with Spiker on this. A simple blood test taken by someone who is used to administering blood tests, to rule out something serious, is not a horrific act that merits a phone call to social care. An adverse change in the mood of a person and a problem with regulating blood sugar are issues well documented and often ignored. And if the child does have a glucose tolerance issue, a fasting blood sugar, which is what is most often tested at a GP, would be the last test to pick up this relationship. I actually believe more children should have blood glucose tests AFTER eating carb rich meals to rule out blood glucose changes as a possible cause in mood swings. Higher than normal blood glucose readings, combined with mood swings, can often be a consequence of food intolerance and inflammation in the body so it may be worth looking into this. Now if the finger pricking is an ongoing act, which causes the child significant harm and distress - without reasonable justification and done with due care so as to minimise the child's distress - then the context for the blood glucose test would be very different. I don't think a one off finger prick meets that test on this occasion. I think we need to be very careful with the words we use but I do take on board Anie's well meaning concerns.

Thanks for the replies. I should point out that my daughter asked me to do the test. I put a new needle in the finger pricker and turned the depth gauge down. She sees me testing my own blood daily.

My interest in viewpoints was not in the act but the result. My own result was 6.3.

We all know the NHS is over stretched. The last time I rang to make an appt at my GP it took over 30 mins to get someone on the telephone and I was told there was a 2 week wait. Much building of housing estates locally with no extra GP provision. But this isn't a thread about any of that, I just wanted comments about the result.

I've decided on a course of action now.

Anie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
OK Anie, shop him to social services over a fingerprick when he's trying to safeguard his daughter's health. Dragging a 6 year old to the doctor without cause, now that's distressing to the child. He's not denying her cancer treatment or a blood transfusion. He's performing a simple diagnostic test that millions of us, including millions of children, perform multiple times every single day. You are making out that's some kind of child abuse. Frankly you should mind your own business about how other people look after their children. This guy is distressed and very worried about his daughter, trying to protect her, and on here asking for help. You may already have driven him away from this good source of help and support with these harsh and unwarranted criticism of his parenting.
I have no intention of 'shopping him to social services' but if she goes into school and tells her teacher they may report him. As for him being distressed -it shouldn't be about him-it should be about his daughter and since he has concerns about his daughter he really should take her to the GP. His GP is not going to diagnose diabetes from a single finger prick that a parent has done. He could also discuss her 'moods' while he is there and explain why he did the test.

People who are performing these tests on a daily basis are either diagnosed children or adults, and need to do them for the sake of their health. If he started doing this without diagnosis it would be abuse.

Children don't get distressed by taking them to the doctor if you handle it correctly.

Miss90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes

I agree - he's doing it out of worry and love. My mother did it to me (she's a pharmacist and recognised the symptoms) and I thank god she did as I was already in DKA by the time I was admitted to hospital!!!!! It's his child, if he feels a finger prick test is the best for her then good for him!!!!

ManUtdGal!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Animal cruelty!
Anie.... You are wrong and your idiotic remarks are unbelievable.

Reactions: 4 people

catsbd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've tested my kids blood sugars over the years, often with bribary and saying it wont hurt!