Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Flu Vaccinations are available soon from various GP surgeries/clinics .
I have mine each year and wonder which viral strain or severity
of it they have predicted for this coming winter ?

I must add since having my yearly flu vaccine .
I have been very lucky in managing to remain and be flu 'free' :D

Yep - will be getting mine done again .
I usually get it done the end of sept .

Reactions: 4 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Yes
In there for mine as well.
No side effects,no colds, seems a good deal.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I will have my 3rd year flu jab possibly next month ?, before that, I never had flu and still haven't :) but the jab feels like a huge thump in my arm :inpain: and blood sugars go mad for a couple of days, but will still have it.

Pollylocks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not many.
...was told I needed one years ago so had it two years' running, never get flu normally, but felt like I had each time I had the flu jab boo hoo, so didn't go any more...plucked up courage to go back again a couple of years ago as DN twisted my arm, ouch!, and said the formula had been changed...been fine each time [thumbs up smiley]..

Reactions: 2 people

Adele99

I've been getting it for the last few years. One for a particular nasty flu type, can't remember the name now but was given separately about 3 years ago gave me really sore swollen stiff arm for about 10 days but last couple have been fine. My GP also gives my husband one, as he said it's very important he doesn't get the flu around me,

I've had the flu twice, 30 years apart and it's nasty, even the first time aged 22, so young and fit, it took ages for me to feel back to normal again.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Several years ago I had flu and felt absolutely awful, couldn't even lift my head off the pillow I was so ill, ever since I make sure to get the flu jab every year.

Reactions: 6 people

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who interrupt you when you're talking and people who won't listen.
I always get the flu jab (I have asthma) and I've never yet had any problems with it. But then, I'd never had flu anyway, so I don't really know what benefit I've ever had from it, if any. Never gives me any problems though I know it makes some people utterly miserable to the point they may as well have had flu!

iainf1

Practice Nurse told me at end of July they hoped to get them earlier this year, sometime in September. Reception told me last week however that it was still planning for October. I get mine as early as possible every year, and for many years - before diagnosed and entitled to it free of charge - paid for it privately, as it needs a couple of weeks to become effective.

For first timers and newly diagnosed, make sure you also get the one-off pneumo jab. You don't want flu and you most definitely don't want pneumonia, as that can kill you, and if it doesn't can make you very ill for a long time. It can be done at same time as flu jab, generally in the other arm.

julifriend

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As an asthmatic and having had pneumonia, pleurisy and a collapsed lung in the early '90s I'm not prepared to take any unnecessary risks. I've had flu jabs ever since.

DonnaC-T

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Mine is w/c 29th September. I have had it every year, for 19 yrs. I did get flu 3 yrs ago in February. I've never been so ill. I'm guessing a different strain to the jab? But I'll still have it, sore arm sometimes but not too bad x

Reactions: 2 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm an asthmatic who has had pneumonia twice and is prone to getting chest infections, so I do have the flu jab. I wish I didn't need it though. I didn't have the swine flu one though as I didn't trust the vaccine.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yep, I get the jab every year... For as long as I can remember.. Yep, I did "swine flu" too!
I must admit it helps even if I do come down with the lurg to clear up faster...
But I found I'm a lot less prone to bugs since I stopped working with children.... Lol

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had the pneumonia jab, and also have the annual flu jabs. Never had any problems with it. Hopefully that will continue.

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Whilst I am booked in for my jab on the 27th with my favourite nurse, our local Tesco's pharmacy have been doing the for the past 2 weeks.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm due to see my DN in November so no doubt she'll get me then. Hubby will probably get caught when he has his INR blood test around then as well!!

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Whilst I am booked in for my jab on the 27th with my favourite nurse, our local Tesco's pharmacy have been doing the for the past 2 weeks.
How on earth do TESCO get in on the act I wonder.