New Freestyle Flash monitor.

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you are a T1 (you are!) under care of a GP- or community-based DN there should be no problem transferring to a hospital clinic.
My GP has referred me straight to my local hospital's clinic... But they're just ridiculous...

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Having high blood sugars!!!!!
PaulinaB, you need to ask your local hospital Dr or Gp, for a referral to Kings College.

Reactions: 6 people

cally

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Start again after posting my reply in the wrong thread :rolleyes:

Very good Julie, just a pity the sensors are £40 a time, this will put it out of reach for a lot of people seeing that they'll still need to get bg strips as well on prescription, it would be fine if you can self-fund.

Hopefully the sensors with be prescribable eventually as the strips are expensive! Although we will still need some strips but not nearly as many.

Reactions: 4 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hopefully the sensors with be prescribable eventually as the strips are expensive! Although we will still need some strips but not nearly as many.

Rest assured Cally, the other meter manufacturers will soon develop their own versions and will compete for the business, hopefully then the price of the sensors will reduce in price.

Reactions: 3 people

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Some some people I speak to on twitter received theirs yesterday for a trial. They can't say much right now, have to wait it's officially launched on Monday, but so far so good!

My first question is going to be on location. All of them have it on their arm, I'd probably prefer thigh if possible

Reactions: 2 people

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Having high blood sugars!!!!!
Think that answer will come with time & usage hale70

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Some some people I speak to on twitter received theirs yesterday for a trial. They can't say much right now, have to wait it's officially launched on Monday, but so far so good!

My first question is going to be on location. All of them have it on their arm, I'd probably prefer thigh if possible

Keep us updated on their progress Hale, much like everyone else I'm interested how it goes for them.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Keep us updated on their progress Hale, much like everyone else I'm interested how it goes for them.

One of them keeps a blog so no doubt she'll be writing about it as soon as she is allowed to by abbott. I'll be sure to post the link for everyone to see how she's been doing. She's been desperate for a CGM so hopes this will help her out!

Reactions: 6 people

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The hassle and ignorance of diabetes.
Does anyone know if the Libre can bluetooth to a pump or is it simply a glucose monitor that tests interstitial tissue like other CGMs?

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The hassle and ignorance of diabetes.
Well I'll be darned! One can but hope that they can all get their act together... including insulin and pump manufacturers who design them so that the cartridges used in pens can also be used in pumps to save a few extra moments (and the possiblilty of air bubbles).

Maybe I should start a campaign on that one :nailbiting:

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Does anyone know if the Libre can bluetooth to a pump or is it simply a glucose monitor that tests interstitial tissue like other CGMs?
Well these are two different things and not alternatives to each other. Yes it is an interstitial fluid monitor like CGMs but that doesn't mean it couldn't transmit its BG estimate to a pump. Shame it can't though.

Omnipod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Its all good and not too good which hospital you go to for your diabetes. They all have their pro's and con's. I always went to Chelsea and Westminster. Then for about 2 years i was transferred to Kings. Kings do things VERY different to Chelsea Westminster. They take blood from your ear lobe for your HBA1C. I hated that.
I saw prof Amiel at kings and she insisted I go on the next DAFNE course and get started on a pump. I did DAFNE and then it came to the pump. They would only offer me a tubed pump as their staff are only trained on the tubing pumps. I asked for the omnipod but Kings said that they do not work with Omnipod.
I went back to C&W where they offered me the tubeless Omnipod pump so i then transferred back.

i must say, being at both clinics, I much prefer my team at C&W.

Hopefully all clinics will be trained up with the new Libre freestyle meter. I did ask Abbott when they will start selling the meter's. They said soon. They are in the process of training people on how the system works.

I do believe that the freestyle Libre is probably the biggest jump forward that we have seen in years and following on from this, perhaps we will start seeing others follow. Its like when the first meters came out many years ago. They were huge bricks and took ages. You even had to plug them into a wall plug. As soon as the 1 meter came out, they just became smaller and smaller and loads of different brands started appearing. Hopefully in 5 years time, we will look at the libre and say OMG, how big was that!!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
In chats be email to one of surgeons I work for duscussing this new libre and pumps..(he cannot remember ever operating on a diabetic patient with an hba1c under 9.0!!!)

I'm hoping... That he will take forward fundin issues to the diabetic consultant and CCG's etc... To try and get his patients with better hba1c's as it would benefit him and the patients.....

I'm going to wait and see for the libre myself, as I am quite anal about blood checking and had bad experinces with abbott's navigator cgm... However it doesn't stop me from trying to go down every avenue to try and help others.

Be aware that it's CCG's that decide whether to fund or not... NOT hospitals or the staff. The staff can put limited pressure on the CCG to fund but at the end of the day it's hard to change the top peoples ideas if they are set in stone. Can only chip away...

As a PPG voluntary member I meet up with CCG managers from our area, so I am also going to chip away at them privately when we stop for coffee breaks......we have an annual review lunch coming up in November so this will give me more time to put a voice forward for better funding...

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Letters going direct to the CCG Managers with good reasoning for funding are more likely to improve our chances of this being available as a funded product.

Is anybody a good letter writer to set us up a template to use?

Reactions: 5 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Can we start by listing out the financial reasons why it is good value for money for the CCG?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Can we start by listing out the financial reasons why it is good value for money for the CCG?

Can we list these openly here for members to contribute?