are strawberrys ok for sugar levels?

jamesmacc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
looking for a way to improve the taste of my protein shake that has pretty much zero carbs or sugar, some people online use bananna which is a big no no for my sugars, what are strawberrys like for your sugars or other berrys like rasberrys. im type 1. other suggestions were peanut butter
cheers
James

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
as a type 1 I would imagine that strawberries would effect your blood sugar just as a banana would...........they do for me.......

peanut butter is good for blood sugars but would that go in to a protein shake......I would try it personally.........:)

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Don't know about strawberries, but I'm trying blueberries at the moment, in small amounts, and I seem to be fine. I suppose you could try them but test and see what happens.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Strawberries like most berries are quite low in carbs, I think they are around 7g of carbs per 100g weight, As a suggestion you could also use blueberries in your shake, only your postprandial bg readings will say if they are suitable for you

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
i eat strawberries everyday in my yogurt with zero effect on bg, i have on the other hand heard folks say strawberries don't work for them, so as always it comes down to testing them to see what happens, i wonder if blackberries would work in the shake, they are even lower than strawberries and strong tasting so you would need less

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I've been told if it ends in berries .... it's fine.
Straw blue ras etc.

Reactions: 2 people

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
Almost fruit that ends in berry is usually low risk for diabetics. I have Greek style yoghurt each breakfast with, straw, blue, black and Tay eeriest - BGs are usually fine.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat strawberries ever day in my yogurt, but can't go overboard with them. Cranberries have the lowest carbs of the berries.

Raspberries 4 carbs per 80g
Strawberries 5 carbs per 80g
Cranberries 3 carbs per 80g
BLUEBERRIES 11 carbs per 80g

Charisma_1630

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm sorry I know I'm a little behind here but do people inject for these small amounts of fruits or not? Or do you mean that it just doesn't spike you in the same way as a banana does? As bananas send mine loopy! I find it so hard to eat fruits as never know what's sugary and what's not

Kaha

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hypocrite
Does Banana spike BS ?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Does Banana spike BS ?

Yes. It is probably the worst fruit of all, especially if it ripe. That's why athletes eat them during competitions, to give them an energy boost. Some people can manage half of one that is well under ripe.