My Low GI diet, counting the calories, and surviving with carbs

K

Kat100

That is a great post Kat :)

The whole ethos of the forum is to support one-another through the good times and bad, the majority of us are pleased when someone finds a diet that works for them and produces the desired effect.
Hi nobblehead like you I am passionate about giving and providing support ...at all,stages that individuals may go through ...
Yes it is really great when people find a diet that works for them ...diets change , so,do,peoples needs we just don't know when or what or often why ...sometimes there is no direct answer ....I am a firm believer in support ...best wishes ..Kat

Reactions: 4 people

equipoise

4.2 now.
So, how does this work?

Low carb, get a steady figure, but lose the ability to cope with any carbs. (been there, so it's not an insult to anyone)
Or more carbs ( can I stab her yet?), a small amount of hard exercise, drop to very low levels?

It does tie in to what i have found with my sports.
If I eat carbs, and I use them, I cope well.

I guess the big question for my lifestyle is, how many minutes does it take for a spike to affect me?
Seconds? ( I was high for 1620 seconds)
Minutes?

If I eat carbs, and go high, (above 7.8) for a few minutes, but exercise for a few minutes, and drop to the 4's, is it bad?
Or is it better to give it all up, and keep my BS less then 7.8 but do nothing?

Am I overthinking this?
I don't think overthinking is the problem here.

Reactions: 2 people

Lee1988

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning all,

Doug does that mean low carb has not worked for you my friend??

King regards
Lee.

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
fish fish fish:

rollmops herring, bismarck herring, bratherring, mild matjes herring, dutch matjest herring, salmon trout, smoked trout, smoked salmon, smoked haddock, smoked cod, prawns, shrimps, battered fish, smoked mackerel, peppered mackerel, mackerel in spicy sauce, anchovies, sardines, pilchards, smoked eel, kippers

Fresh Matjes salad:

matjes-salat.jpg

I can see in the dark now :watching:
I feel a Monty Python sketch coming on :)

Reactions: 3 people

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Eating healthy doesn't have to be dear.

In fact, many healthy foods can be quite cheap.

The main problem though is time or rather, lack of it. You need time to plan the meals, time to discover where the ingredients are and what the prices are in the different outlets and then you really need to go and buy at several places, not one convenient location. The local supermarket for example sells pieces of fish, a so called fish pie mix, for £11.50 per kg. The market sells it at £8.50 per kg and the fish wholesaler, who have a public counter, sell it at £5.50 per kg and they sell the best mix, lots of big pieces, very fresh and never with any bones. These are not end pieces, they cut up fillets for you whilst you are there.

But they are only open from 5.00am til 12.00 midday, mon - fri and close at 8.30 am on saturday morning - so it's not easy to get to. You have to make a special effort.

alliebee

I'm a scuba diver too :). Although not dived for a year...the carribean was my favourite and the red sea ...I loved the peacefulness of it..only did two dives in Uk. Yuk cold lol

Reactions: 5 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, it's a hard one.

Hence my desire to stay on a regime with a reasonable amount of carbs, so I can buy packaged food that'll keep for three days with minimal storage, and no cooking facilities, without shooting up when I shock the system.

In the end, it was two low fat, crustless, (but not baseless) mini quiches, a tub of coleslaw, a tub of chicken and sweetcorn sandwich filler, and two instant porridge with apple and blueberry. I'll pack it up equally for the two days on the boat, which has a kettle for the coffee.

Breakfast will be whatever the B&B will offer, erring towards porridge again if the weather is bad, maybe fried breakfast if sea sickness isn't on the cards, but the forecast isn't good.

Pub lunch, a few pints, I'll have done enough exercise to soak up any carbs in the meal.
Any way, I'll take my meter, and be disappointed if it goes over 7 at any time.

I didn't see your thread, when it appeared. I was pretty busy on Friday.

I see you have selected your foods. Additional options would include, Babybell, easy bite sized snacks in a moment, canned oily fish - Usually they're in ring-pull cans, so with either camping plastic cutlery, they can be higher calorie, lower cab and sterile and don't require refrigeration. Brie - tear off chunks. M&S streaky bacon strips - delicious, but not incredibly high calorie. Humous. Feta stuffed olives. Peanuts, and so on.

By Monday, I'm thinking you're talking about tomorrow? I hope the weather is kind to you, as the remnants of Huricainne Gonzalo is due to come calling tomorrow night, and could impact. Where are you diving from? Do you use Winderfinder/Windguru or the like to review weather conditions?

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We thinking alike there. I looked at the babybell as well. The canned fish tends to 'repeat' on me, particularly if I'm strectching and bending, so I put it back on the shelf.

Yes, the conditions aren't good for diving on the Tuesday, it's a boat dive in the North Sea, forecast is poor vis, choppy sea, very difficult re-entry onto the boat, so it may not be a good day at the moment, and hasn't been confirmed as a go by the skipper yet.
Where are you sailing out of?

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's a trip to the Farne Islands.

Unless this changes, I'm not sure I'd be fancying it much:

upload_2014-10-19_12-2-8.png

Of course, I'm a tropical wuss, but gusts of over 30 knots will be horrible, although by the look of it, it's being considered it'll keep the swell down.

(That's from here: http://www.windfinder.com/forecast/whitley_bay. If you have never used windfinder, it's an excellent, in my view, reliable site.)

K

Kat100

It's a trip to the Farne Islands.
Sounds great ..have a really nice time @douglas99
Have you seen those 9 bars ...I have found out about them a few weeks ago ...4 in a box peanuts and seeds ..all the supermarkets are selling them now ...I think the peanut one has the least sugar ...

And great news on the t shirt size ...congratulations ...best wishes ..Kat

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Still weather watching, but the forecast has improved marginally.
But we're still looking at swells of over 2m, in a 6m depth, on a 6s second period, vis will be poor, and trying to get back on a boat moving up and down over 2m could be a challenge in itself.

The only good thing, even with the cylinder, the lead weightbelt, I'm still only adding on a couple of stones again, and I lost twice that much, which makes you think when you're staggering down the quayside now!

Only 6m depth? What are you diving? That's very shallow. I'd be astonished if it goes ahead, unless the weather further moderates. Mid 30s knots is still quite a blow.

Vis-a-vis the swells, the vertical movement is the easy bit in lots of way. When the boat shifts laterally, it can be very dangerous, and end up coming down on top of you..

I had a nasty accident in a choppy, rolling swell; just going between the rib and mothership. Blood everywhere. Not a good look. I thought I was going to have to teach Mr B to suture on me..

K

Kat100

I would have said I hate peanuts, but then again, I would have said I hated most of the food I eat now, so I'll think twice on that.
I try to avoid nuts where i can, but I guess I'll eat them now.
I'll have a look, and if I can keep them in the car for a snack, it' a good one to know, as I am always looking for food that I can forget about until I need it if I can't get way for food.
I used to hate peanuts ...but this is a good snack for the car or walking etc ...
There are other combinations ....but I can't work out the cals etc ?but have a look when you can ...think,there are about 3 or 4 types ...

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, Whitley Bay would be distinctly unpleasant today; especially as most dive boats have a very shallow draft.

upload_2014-10-21_9-35-5.png

If you search for your nearest weather station, you might get some useful information. My nearest station is about 12 miles away from here, and the information is usually pretty accurate.

alliebee

Sounds like a good day then Douglas? Bet you are chuffed at the new suit. Xmas prezzie early. I love all the freebies amd literature they give out.. so pleased you had a nice day :)