Betavivo oats

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
A tenner!!!!!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Seems very expensive, all oats are known to reduce cholesterol levels due to the beta-glucan content, personally I'd be saving my money and opting for a cheaper product if you want to try eating oats in your diet.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
'Betavivo contains natural raw materials from oat bran, cornmeal and fructose (from apple).'

Admittedly only 0.73 g/portion, but why add any?

I'd pass on principle.

HpprKM

Dislikes
Self absorbed and rude people! Motorists who are oblivious to the rest of the world, and really don't give a ****!
Noblehead - yes, probably will ;-)

Reactions: 2 people

HpprKM

Dislikes
Self absorbed and rude people! Motorists who are oblivious to the rest of the world, and really don't give a ****!
Fructose, I hadn't noticed that - not good :-( off to look in H & B for alternative.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
They have obviously produced a product that fulfils the new regulations to make a health claim. You need 3g of beta glucan a serving.
Apparently this is based on 30g of carbohydrates from oats yielding 4g of beta glucan.
Somehow this product has yield of 8.5g beta glucan for each 30g of carbohydrates
( manufacturers site)

On their site they link to the permission from the EU for the health claim and also to a randomised trial using a concentrated source (high molecular weight) of beta glucan derived from oats. http://betavivo.co.uk/science/
Both the submission for a health claim was from a company called Creanutrion who produces the oat bran with a high beta glcuan content They also supplied the product which was used in the RCT trial conducted by a reputable researcher that supported the claim.
I couldn't link this particular ingredient to Betavivo . Nevertheless it sounds like it is this is ingredient (or one very similar)
The fructose is a very low amount from apple it's not HGFS.
There seems to be evidence to support their claims (else they wouldn't be able to make them); Creanutrition also seems to have been very clever in 'suggesting' to the EU that the health claim should revised and be based on normal servings; it also means that other oat products have to be very careful in what they say)

Personally I have a bit of a prejudice against functional foods and would prefer not to use them but I can see the attraction. I prefer real foods, and at a pound a serving. I'll stick with my ordinary oats and almonds (almonds are good for lowering cholesterol too but you probably need more than the sprinkling I use)

For comparison 40g of ordinary Quaker oats gives you 1.41 g
40g of Morning flake Oatbran gives you 2.3g so just over 2/3

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Share holder food to feed the industrial dependant population.
That's what we are ... dependent.
For money fuel food transport communication etc.
We have become as dependant as a baby on it's mothers teat.
This is the definition of modern freedom.
Dependency.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Noblehead - yes, probably will ;-)

Try if you can to purchase Steel Cut or Pinhead Oats as they breakdown more slowly the the likes of Instant Oats, as your a type 2 you want to be careful on the portion size so do test after eating them to see how they effect your bg.

HpprKM

Dislikes
Currently have mix of mini shreddies and crunchy bran flakes with a few blueberries and almond milk. Porridge and berries in winter.