Metformin and Stomach (not bowel) issues?

sarah

I've been on regular-release metformin since November last year and although I did have a few bowel troubles with them to begin with, everything settled down quite quickly and I have been taking them without problems every since. However, for the Iast six weeks are so I have been suffering some stomach (not bowel, very definitely stomach) aches which don't seem related to what I eat or drink. The aches are not constant (one day on, one or a few days off, that sort of pattern) The pain is not shooting,just a general ache, nor is it very strong (say 2 out of 10) but it is beginning to get me down. I have seen a doc and was prescribed some antacids which did appear to help but it could have been co-incidental (it does come and go). I also had a stool test for H-pylori and occult blood in stool and it came back clear.

I am planning on going back to the docs but I was wondering if it could be the metformin irritating my stomach lining? Has anyone else developed problems with met after being fine on them for a while, particularly stomach problems? I'd not be keen to come off the metformin as it seems to be working well for me but really I would just like the aches to stop!

Any help appreciated

K

Kat100

Sorry no answer for you ,,but it must be horrid , I can only guess but it sounds like two separate issues ...
Glad you are going back to your doctors ....

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
do you have a lot of fibre before the pain and normally don't have much?
a change in diet?
recent antibiotic?
take a probiotic?
what is your BG like, ask dr to go off metformin for a week?

sarah

Thank you both for your very quick responses. Diet is pretty much the same as it has been since DX, Last hba1c was 5.8 in old money, no anti-or pro- biotics in diet.

I realise this might be nothing to do with the metformin, that's why I was asking for any experiences.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had indigestion, belching, acid reflux, squirts, but no stomach ache
5.8, I would ask to go off it for a week and see how you go