Type 1s: What stupid things have people said to you?

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
I work with a girl who is type 2 and has some very picky knowledge about diabetes. She knows it's carbs (not "sugar"), and that bread is generally bad, but she has no idea about difference between t1 and t2.
She asks me questions like "how's your diabetes?" (What am I supposed to say? "Not too bad, we watched a movie last night"?!)

She was recently talking about how she started going to the gym 3 times a week (she's very slim) and how that made her doc lower her meds. She tried to suggest that maybe if I started exercising my doc will switch me to pills instead of insulin 0_0

She's actually not a first person who has no idea what "type 1" means and thinks that If I exercise and diet I'll be off insulin... I never know what to say to those people :/
Oh dear! She must be quite challenged as it's all over the various websites - if you both to read them! :banghead:

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was with my girlfriend for a few months and after the first time we made love she asked "is diabetes lik an STI? I don't mind having it but I would like to know!"
Now I know how I got diabetes Johann - off your girlfriend!

;-)

Reactions: 8 people

Tweetypie

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders, control freaks, untidiness, ignorance.
Mother in law says "would you like a sweet? Go on, you'll be o.k with just one"

also, in the pub "what are you going to order - what about jacket potato, oh without the butter of course" !

When asked how I was getting on, I say "yes, fab, I've managed to get off insulin and my levels are now in the non diabetic range". She says "oh, you've done o.k then". Yeah, thanks a bunch, don't get too overwhelmed now will you?

When first diagnosed, she said "you haven't got it bad, you'll be o.k". Being on insulin is about as serious as it gets actually.

Sure she means well..........

Reactions: 2 people

Tweetypie

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders, control freaks, untidiness, ignorance.
"But why can't you just have a whole portion of rice?"

"You don't look diabetic" What exactly does a diabetic look like?

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The hassle and ignorance of diabetes.
"But why can't you just have a whole portion of rice?"

Were they offering a US portion or a UK portion; and if UK, was it Pizza Express / Belle Italia style or 'Nouveau Quizine"? :wideyed:

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The hassle and ignorance of diabetes.
"You don't look diabetic" What exactly does a diabetic look like?

Didn't you know?

We're all obese and shuffle around the streets between MacDonalds, BK, KFC and the sweet shop on a sofa.

Reactions: 9 people

Jilly986

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Animal cruelty, rude people
"You don't look like a diabetic!" So what does a diabetic look like???

Seriously_Sax1989

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When describing how a hypo feels to a work colleague the response: " oh dear! I get tired and bad tempered... Perhaps I'm secretly diabetic???" ***face palm***

Jilly986

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Animal cruelty, rude people
My nan had type 2 diabetes much later in her lifetime bless her. I remember one time she said "my eyes feel like they've got bits in them, it must be the sugar diabetes"