New Flash Glucose Monitoring from Abbott - Bloodless Testing

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Looks like it could be a good tool to investigate whether various diets (low GI/LCHF/LCLF/std NHS ) will control BG and reduce BG variability.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, interesting so far.

I'm absolutely not their target customer, as I have lots of "natural", unmedicated lows, so my charts would just be red, red red. But, I really would be fascinated to properly understand my peaks, troughs and bell curves.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I cant get in!!!! can someone send me a URL please?

I'm in dont worry thanks :)

EDIT: Having been proven for 14 days I fully expect this sensor should last 21-28 days without major changes. I would be checking it against finger sticks obviously especially after the 14th day.

Also @hale710 interesting to see they have ok'ed for abdo as well as arms, I would imagine it might work in thigh although Ive seen reports from dex users that the thigh isnt as accurate for unknown reasons

Last edited by a moderator:

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Can you post any interesting/important info? I'm at work and no way I could do it right now but I want to know what's going on!
Also it stores up to 8 hours of BG data on the sensor - thats the most interesting thing I've seen I think.

Uses a specific AGP graphing data I think they called it

Reactions: 2 people

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
upload_2014-9-15_10-39-44.png

upload_2014-9-15_10-39-52.png

Vit C and aspirin at very high levels interfere but paracetamol is ok

No audible yet for visually impaired

Has insulux available on meter (bolus calc)

looks good but missed the release date :'(

Last edited by a moderator:

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Having high blood sugars!!!!!
@Engineer88 , release in the UK is October, probably just before I take my loan one from Kings back. Wonder if I can buy it back from them as it will be set for one person use(me) :rolleyes:

Reactions: 4 people

NotSoSweet2

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rudeness, tv soaps.
Revolutionary! Too good to be true................I wait until the verdict is out!

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm really on the fence about it!

Very excited but kinda feel like its a 'step back' From CGM!

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I have to agree hale70, I would be of the same opinion. I think Abbott have found a slot in the market. Esp for someone like me, that runs out of places to test from, but can't fork out, the amount needed for cgm. This fits a gap. A step up from finger/ arm testing, but more affordable for some, that can't afford cgm.

iHs

I watched it online this morning. I also looked up the clinical trial study IMPACT which is recruiting clinicaltrials.gov.uk. Not sure whether the price is 50 euros for the receiver or 150? The sensors I think are 50 euros.

The bolus wizard spoken about can only be activated by inserting a teststrip in the Libre receiver and entering the bg reading so the sensor reading itself cant be used. For me, this doesnt matter as the Vibe accepts a bg manually for the bolus wizard to work.

As tempted as I am, Ill wait to see the feedback first.

Reactions: 3 people

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
IHs, they quoted €59.90 for the receiver and the same price for the sensors. But I think I'll be having a very long and in depth chat, with rep, when I see them next week. Thank god, my parents are picking my kids up on that day.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
http://ninjabetic1.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/freestyle-libre-flash-glucose-technology.html?m=1

For those interested, a PERSONAL VIEW by someone I speak to online who is trying one out. She's had it since Friday.

Thank you for the link Hale.

For me, the most important piece of information was the costs. I think I'll adopt a watching brief for a short while, then, provided there are no significantly negative aspects, I may got for this, with a view to using, say, one sensor a quarter, just to get a period real insight into how my bloods are actually doing. I recently "invested" roughly £140 in 10 home HbA1c tests, which are interesting, and reassuring, but I think this might be at a different level, and obviously providing different information - especially as over time, I am likely to ease up a bit further on my day-to-day testing.

Were I T1, I would definitely be very interested, on quite a different level.

Exciting times..

nmr1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
bloodless testing or fingerpricking both really are unnecessary for me, i rely on whether i feel tired, agitated or shaky to determine if my glucose is in a normal range. haven't used a glucose testing thing in a month or so, i only used it in that time so I wouldnt have to lie to my parents/family about not testing regularly.