New Flash Glucose Monitoring from Abbott - Bloodless Testing

H

Hooked

bloodless testing or fingerpricking both really are unnecessary for me, i rely on whether i feel tired, agitated or shaky to determine if my glucose is in a normal range. haven't used a glucose testing thing in a month or so, i only used it in that time so I wouldnt have to lie to my parents/family about not testing regularly.
I await your posts on diabetic complications in a few years time with interest.

Reactions: 16 people

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
bloodless testing or fingerpricking both really are unnecessary for me, i rely on whether i feel tired, agitated or shaky to determine if my glucose is in a normal range. haven't used a glucose testing thing in a month or so, i only used it in that time so I wouldnt have to lie to my parents/family about not testing regularly.

Could that be something to do with your Hba1c of 12% then? do you really think they are unnecessary when you have obviously little/no control of your diabetes?

Reactions: 6 people

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Having high blood sugars!!!!!
Could that be something to do with your Hba1c of 12% then? do you really think they are unnecessary when you have obviously little/no control of your diabetes?
I was just about, to write, the same thing Engineer88:rolleyes:

Reactions: 4 people

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
After reading that hale, I can't wait for next week. Also on a personal note it will allow me to let my kids get involved with testing. As my 9 year old is always on at me, because she wants to help with testing. I also like the idea of the blood ketone, my only thing is that the InsuLinx lite test strips, take a little less blood. So I then in turn end up carrying 2 meters with, when I go out. So having ketone and flash sensor, cuts down a bit on kit carried.

Reactions: 2 people

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
After reading that hale, I can't wait for next week. Also on a personal note it will allow me to let my kids get involved with testing. As my 9 year old is always on at me, because she wants to help with testing. I also like the idea of the blood ketone, my only thing is that the InsuLinx lite test strips, take a little less blood. So I then in turn end up carrying 2 meters with, when I go out. So having ketone and flash sensor, cuts down a bit on kit carried.

Good idea to give the kids some involvement! I carry two meters now, counter next as it speaks to pump and then freestyle optium. It uses optium ketone strips so I'd simply swap the libre for it!

Danaemac

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People who think they know what you need before you do
I am contemplating this also and await everyone on trials review with much anticipation and jealousy the dsn was amazed I was actually thinking about giving up my xpert for it she's been trying over a yr to get me on to insulinx but she knows I like the new toys :))

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Good idea to give the kids some involvement! I carry two meters now, counter next as it speaks to pump and then freestyle optium. It uses optium ketone strips so I'd simply swap the libre for it!
I already have those strips as well, so will be taking a supply with me along with my InsuLux meter. And swapping.

Omnipod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
so...
£47 for the meter and £47 per sensor
meter is priced well but the sensor is too expensive. ill be interested to know how many people will fund this themselves
it would be ok if the nhs funded the same price as what they pay for test strips and then let us fund the balance....
I get 5 boxes of freestyle strips per month. £18 per box = £90 per month - almost the same price as 2 x sensors and I can get a reading every minute. Makes sense for the NHS to fund this

H

Hooked

so...
£47 for the meter and £47 per sensor
meter is priced well but the sensor is too expensive. ill be interested to know how many people will fund this themselves
it would be ok if the nhs funded the same price as what they pay for test strips and then let us fund the balance....
I get 5 boxes of freestyle strips per month. £18 per box = £90 per month - almost the same price as 2 x sensors and I can get a reading every minute. Makes sense for the NHS to fund this
Problem then is that you may need to do finger prick tests for times when levels are rapidly changing or symptoms not matching the readings.

Reactions: 3 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Problem then is that you may need to do finger prick tests for times when levels are rapidly changing or symptoms not matching the readings.
If those are relatively rare it does not affect the cost argument much. And the Libre fingerprick meter and [its strips] could be used for those tests. Or any other. A couple of packs of strips a year for these additional "confidence tests" is neither here nor there.

Last edited by a moderator:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

As a compromise we could agree to buy our own test strips (we wouldn't need as many) if the sensors were to be available on the NHS.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If those are relatively rare it does not affect the cost argument much. And the Libre fingerprick meter and could be used for those tests. Or any other. A couple of packs of strips a year for these additional "confidence tests" is neither here nor there.
Would you jump ship if this was funded? looks like it cant be restarted so i'm not too tempted atm

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Would you jump ship if this was funded? looks like it cant be restarted so i'm not too tempted atm
No, the economics of it without any "sensor stretch" on the Libre means stay on Dexcom G4 for anyone who can reliably average more than 2 sessions per sensor, and I can reliably average 3 sessions now.

For a user without an existing CGM or Vibe pump, or who doesn't have £1200 to buy a Dexcom receiver or a pump on offer from their hospital, Libre has to be the way to go. Assuming all the tech checks out in practice.

If someone finds a way to stretch a Libre sensor to two sessions then that is a hands down across the board win for Libre. Then I would jump.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No, the economics of it without any "sensor stretch" on the Libre means stay on Dexcom G4 for anyone who can reliably average more than 2 sessions per sensor, and I can reliably average 3 sessions now.

For a user without an existing CGM or Vibe pump, or who doesn't have £1200 to buy a Dexcom receiver or a pump on offer from their hospital, Libre has to be the way to go. Assuming all the tech checks out in practice.

If someone finds a way to stretch a Libre sensor to two sessions then that is a hands down across the board win for Libre. Then I would jump.

That's my school of thought. I have pump, but Medtronic so no dexcom. The enlite sensors appear to be less accurate and more costly than the dex, and overall more expensive than the libre. I don't need alarms, simply patterns therefore the libre seems suitable!

If I had the vibe..... Different story!

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

understand your point but i actually ment if it was NHS funded... Abbot are working hard on it by seems.

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I wouldn't. But simply because the alerts are life saving for me.
Does the math still adds up if you already have a pump/receiver?

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I wouldn't. But simply because the alerts are life saving for me.
Does the math still adds up if you already have a pump/receiver?

the sensors are the same price for each but dex needs a transmitter to.
upload_2014-9-16_13-49-21.png

These are off the top of my head costs but I think Dex wins (assumption -3 weeks per dex sensor, ongoing after first year libre would be cheaper)

Julie1471

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Engineer what's the costs for a G4 with a vibe pump?