Thyroid levels

Dogbutler

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Glad you like the ears Scouser, it takes a lot to get them looking like this, but I think it's worth the effort.
As to what's behind your symptoms, I'm not qualified or confident enough to make any suggestions and the same goes for what kind of tests you need.
Thing is, sounds as if you're really feeling under the weather and the starting point for that is your GP.
Don't be fobbed off with any old rubbish - a gentle reminder that he/she has a duty of care to provide you with adequate & appropriate care should do the trick.
I hope you get the answers you need and start feeling better soon.

Scouser58

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Hi Dogbutler, thank you for the reply, will resort to the gp, after the nurse blood test up date next Thursday. I do feel rough, tired and not with it, today my brain ached, and now got a pain in my neck!
I feel that so many things are getting on top me of, and getting from under them is tough.
So I will go bed soon, and try and form a better day, later on!, ttfn

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had very similar readings on my test last week. I take 75mcg of thyroxine at the moment.

TSH 3.56 mUI/l (range 0.46-4.68) that's up from 2.43 last time
T4(free) 13.6pmol/l (range 9.9-28.2) that's identical to last time

Theoretically they are both within range and I kept on the same dose last time.
It will be interesting to compare responses from our doctors (may be a while though since mine is off sick)
Just to update, I saw my doctor this morning she increased the dose to alternate 75mcg/100mcg (so 87.5mcg)

Reactions: 2 people

Bev18

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
i'm on 175 and have been for few years. i've got a meds review with doctor tomorrow, but interesting about swollen legs / feet because i'm retaining water something chronic. My blood sugars are higher for me at the moment but do have a lovely dead tooth nerve and big swelling on my jaw at the moment - so in the wars. Plus coming back off hols last week doesn't help :(

my last blood test about 2 months ago, the doctor told me it was at 4 which was just within levels not sure if too high or too low - i might ask that Q tomorrow. Am very tired though can go to bed at 8.30 and sleep through to 6am when i wake up.

Angelmum21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you so much for raising this issue of GPs just taking a look at your age and giving you a pill based on that! So unscientific! It is bad enough having hypothyroid condition and then developing diabetes at the same time was a real smack in the face for me. Went hell for leather to get sugars under control which I did in three months but have slowly come to realise that it is my THYROID that needs fixing as it influences the diabetes and numerous other bodily functions. I was 56 and put on 50mg a day of levothyroxine. I felt cold and lethargic and did a series of basal temperature readings showing that my metabolism is running laughably and dangerously slow. I barely get above 36C. I showed chart to the GP and she reluctantly increased my levothyroxine by 25mg saying "some patients aren't SENSITIVE ENOUGH to it" - I am about to take 2 month test to see how my thyroid levels are doing.

But why are some patients insensitive to it? Are GPs so dulled by their work load that they do not ask basic questions.

MAGGYNHERKY

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been on 25mg levothyroxine for a while since a blood test showed up the under-active thyroid and diabetes. I haven't noticed any difference with this dose but thought it would be ok because the doctor put me on it......................................but my skin is uber dry, and I am totally exhausted most of the time, but then I do have fibromyalgia and depression anyway so I figured this was the reason for the fatigue and low mood. I've got to visit the grumpy diabetic nurse (she's also the asthma nurse gah - I can't get away from her), would it be worthwhile to mention this to her? Or should I ask her for the results of my latest thyroid test and figure it out from there?

Sorry if this post is a bit garbled, have a foggy brain today!!

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
Levothyroxine will never bring any of us back to how we were before under active thyroid. We have it just to balance the other endocrine hormones. Noticeable with regard to weight, hair and skin condition. Weight gained is difficult if not impossible to lose and the condition of hair and skin is often poor, dry, flaky etc. Even scalp problems can appear.
I find that more fat in the diet can help, just need to be careful not to overdo it.

Reactions: 3 people

Angelmum21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been on 25mg levothyroxine for a while since a blood test showed up the under-active thyroid and diabetes. I haven't noticed any difference with this dose but thought it would be ok because the doctor put me on it......................................but my skin is uber dry, and I am totally exhausted most of the time, but then I do have fibromyalgia and depression anyway so I figured this was the reason for the fatigue and low mood. I've got to visit the grumpy diabetic nurse (she's also the asthma nurse gah - I can't get away from her), would it be worthwhile to mention this to her? Or should I ask her for the results of my latest thyroid test and figure it out from there?

Sorry if this post is a bit garbled, have a foggy brain today!!
Hi Maggynherky, The nurse in my experience will only say you have to talk to the doctor about it. So go straight to the "organ grinder" rather than his monkey! But also take a look at what Thyroid UK says about base level temperatures. I took mine first thing for 3 weeks and then presented them to my doctor saying I still did not feel well! And she upped my dose. I feel marginally better but am waiting to see next test result and another round of temperature charts which I will have no hesitation in presenting to my doctor. Low basal temp is a symptom of hypothyroidism and it means that you have a very low metabolism which is why it is so difficult to lose weight. Mine means I should be on less than 500 calories a day to lose weight- I ask you! That would not be living for me. So I am determined to get the right dose or another drug that will sort my metabolism out!

Good luck!

Angelmum21

Anie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was on 300 pr day when I first had most of my thyroid removed 34 years ago! It was reduces gradually until I ended up on 125 pr day. I think I may need mine changing, I'm losing my hair big style, not helped by having a scalp infection in June this year. Guess I need a trip to see Dr.

MAGGYNHERKY

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Maggynherky, The nurse in my experience will only say you have to talk to the doctor about it. So go straight to the "organ grinder" rather than his monkey! But also take a look at what Thyroid UK says about base level temperatures. I took mine first thing for 3 weeks and then presented them to my doctor saying I still did not feel well! And she upped my dose. I feel marginally better but am waiting to see next test result and another round of temperature charts which I will have no hesitation in presenting to my doctor. Low basal temp is a symptom of hypothyroidism and it means that you have a very low metabolism which is why it is so difficult to lose weight. Mine means I should be on less than 500 calories a day to lose weight- I ask you! That would not be living for me. So I am determined to get the right dose or another drug that will sort my metabolism out!

Good luck!

Angelmum21
I had a look at Thyroid Uk but did not find anything about "base level temperatures" so I'm still none the wiser! What does it mean and how should I do it - as in what time, where etc. Thanks in advance

Angelmum21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had a look at Thyroid Uk but did not find anything about "base level temperatures" so I'm still none the wiser! What does it mean and how should I do it - as in what time, where etc. Thanks in advance
Hi Maggynherky, You are right - Thyroid UK have taken that bit off their website but they do still have charts you can fill in. I have found another site that explains clearly that the test is good for persuading your doctor to get the dose right and it is here:
http://thyroid.about.com/od/thyroidbasicsthyroid101/a/5lies_2.htm

I simply used my digital thermometer in my ear first thing every morning before I even sat up in bed and recorded the temperatures and as I say it was enough to persuade my GP to raise my dose. I am due to do a blood test this week to see how it has affected my levels. I note that I am supposed to do the test at the same time of day as my last one. That would mean that I should do it at around 0900 as that is when the first blood test that diagnosed my hypothyroidism was done and I have to work out when I can have a day off work to do that! The levels are circadian which means they alter according to the time of day so do make sure that you try to be tested at same time each time as it were.

Good luck and do come back if you are still not sure of the temp stuff it is officially known as the Barnes Basal temperature test if you want to Google it.

Angelmum21

Rosie1953

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I take 75mg a day and have done for the last two years. I've been on thyroxine for 5 years and started off on 50mg daily.

MsPrim

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Lemons
I was diagnosed with having hypothyroid in November 2013 and i started taking Eltroxin 25mcg daily, then it was increased to 50mcg daily, a month later and then my GP referred me to an Endocrinologist as my TSH just kept getting higher and my T4 was out of range (lower end).

I also found out in January 2014 i had two thyroid nodules - this frightened me so i gave up smoking and they are being kept an eye on by my Endocrinologist now.

In April 2014 i had had enough - i felt awful so i went back to my GP - luckily a locum was there. He immediately increased my Eltroxin to 100/50 mcg on alternate days and i had to have bloods done in a month. Then in June my Eltroxin was increased to 100mcg daily.

Then in July 2014 i found out i had Hashimoto's Disease which brought on my hypothyroid in the first place. Then the Endocrinologist increased my Eltroxin to 175mcg daily for six months - my next appointment is in January 2015. Before my increase i was given an ECG to make sure i had no heart problems.

My problem is that an awful lot of GPs do not know enough about the thyroid and how to read the results - most GPs will treat your results rather than your symptoms - so if your bloods are in range and only just in range, lower or upper end, a doctor won't prescribe anything, even if you have symptoms, this annoys me. I have been quite lucky.

With an under active thyroid you put on weight as your metabolism slows down and your body cannot distribute the energy around the body so you feel tired and then you have no energy and then you put on more weight. It is not from over eating - i could only eat 1-2 meals a day as i felt full all the time and i ate because i had to. Some health professionals told me i need to go on a diet and i said it's my thyroid that's causing my weight gain - i couldn't believe their ignorance as they knew nothing about the condition - this also annoys me :(

I have researched my condition to educate myself and i always get copies of every blood test i have so i know where i am. My bloods are taken to the same lab - the range can vary even in the same lab!! I believe a universal range should be used. If you don't get copies of your blood tests, start doing so and educate yourself :) You will soon know what works for you ;)

I was only diagnosed with diabetes type 2 (The doctors think) at the beginning of October of this year but for the 2 weeks previous i was starting to feel better and now i have another Endocrine problem to deal with :( But i am not going to let it dictate my life ;) This is now chapter 2 of my Endocrine journey :D

Scouser58

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Greetings to one and all, have been off line for a while, but back now. Well went for the blood test and result was up and way out, but then at home I discovered that, idiot that I am,I had been taking 2 levo thyroxine in the afternoon, when it should have been Gliclazide, so another test was ordered, and the results came back ok! Still on 175mg, first thing in the morning before getting out of bed, and I am getting very cold, with scarf around my neck most of the day and shawl aroung my shoulders in the evening. Then it's cardy on in bed with the bed socks and 2 light blankets on top of the duvet, and it takes ages to get warm!. I have a Felix screen saver on and when I stop typing, up pops Felix to play his games. Well I will be back soon, see you all then,ttfn

MAGGYNHERKY

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Maggynherky, You are right - Thyroid UK have taken that bit off their website but they do still have charts you can fill in. I have found another site that explains clearly that the test is good for persuading your doctor to get the dose right and it is here:
http://thyroid.about.com/od/thyroidbasicsthyroid101/a/5lies_2.htm

I simply used my digital thermometer in my ear first thing every morning before I even sat up in bed and recorded the temperatures and as I say it was enough to persuade my GP to raise my dose. I am due to do a blood test this week to see how it has affected my levels. I note that I am supposed to do the test at the same time of day as my last one. That would mean that I should do it at around 0900 as that is when the first blood test that diagnosed my hypothyroidism was done and I have to work out when I can have a day off work to do that! The levels are circadian which means they alter according to the time of day so do make sure that you try to be tested at same time each time as it were.

Good luck and do come back if you are still not sure of the temp stuff it is officially known as the Barnes Basal temperature test if you want to Google it.

Angelmum21

Thanks for that, I will buy a thermometer and start taking my temperature! I will let you know how I get on, I'm hoping to get a glass thermometer, I'm not sure that they are still sold though.

pavlovsdog

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Ugh... I feel like an old lady now... Everyone's on sdtiny doses...
I'm on 150, because I had iodine therapy for hyper thyroid...
I'm on 200mcg! Was on 250 but they reduced it last year. It has taken about 8-9 years to get on a stable dose