Potatoes and Diabetes - POTATOES ARE MY NEMESIS!

The potato - friend or foe?

• Friend

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Foe

Votes: 18 64.3%

• Total voters

this is too difficult two

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Lucky you didn't have to eat
OK, so I really never eat potatoes. I had to eat one today at work as I was on a work-related course. Just after lunch time today, I had a jacket potato with cheese and beans. My blood glucose not too long after was 27.2mmol/L!

Conclusion: POTATOES ARE MY NEMESIS!

I was reminded of the Blackadder episode 'Potato':

I'm jealo
I can eat chips, roast and new potatoes without spiking, but only small portions, and not in conjunction with other major carbs such as bread. Home made deep fried chips are apparently better than oven chips because of the extra fat. I tried mashed once on a cottage pie. Definitely a no-no. I haven't tried a baked one yet. Baked beans (including low sugar ones) send me sky high.[/QUOTE
I'm jealous mate.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I looked at a bag of frozen oven chips and decided I could handle 100g. I got the scales out and weighed 100g.
****** it was about 6 chips. Still went over 9. I need to stop this nonsense.

Try deep frying them. More fat, which helps, and with frozen oven chips presumably they have been partially fried?? If so, in what sort of fat? We always make our own chips, deep fried in rapeseed oil.

Reactions: 4 people

notafanofsugar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
everything good for me! getting better though x
Does that mean we can conclude that potatoes are indeed FOES!

Booooooooooooooo to the FOES (remembering fondly this scene):

Reactions: 2 people

Magisham

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I eat sweet potatoes as I was told it is a better option. Lovely as a jacket spud and also roasted.
I use sweet potatoes all the time now instead of ordinary potatoes and they seem fine. I made a nice sort of bean shepherds pie tonight ..... red beans, onions, mushrooms, garlic, tomatoes all cooked up and mashed and topped with mashed sweet potato with a sprinkling of low fat grated cheese. Very nice and very filling.

this is too difficult two

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I use sweet potatoes all the time now instead of ordinary potatoes and they seem fine. I made a nice sort of bean shepherds pie tonight ..... red beans, onions, mushrooms, garlic, tomatoes all cooked up and mashed and topped with mashed sweet potato with a sprinkling of low fat grated cheese. Very nice and very filling.
why low fat cheese? Did you test before and after?

sjhume

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I have had potatos with almost every dinner i've ever eaten. Roast,boiled,mashed and mostly baked - i love them all! This thread is making me very hungry!

andy1971

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
peas and doctors... well you asked!
I used to eat them all the time but these days they leave me doubled over cramped in the stomach...

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Mashing your spuds releases more carbs than baking them.
I'd second the post on sweet potatoes.
However, if you can find them purple potatoes are both versatile, healthy and tasty too.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I have had potatos with almost every dinner i've ever eaten. Roast,boiled,mashed and mostly baked - i love them all! This thread is making me very hungry!
You may want to cut back, unless you like having high blood glucose.:nurse:

notafanofsugar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
everything good for me! getting better though x
I too have moved to sweet potatoes - they're actually quite nice oven cooked!

sjhume

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Going food shopping later and will include sweet potatos for the first time!

alliebee

I can't handle mash or jacket at all. But a couple of new ones are ok...chips from the chippy about 8 or so are ok. But oven chips are terrible.

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Couple of New spuds ok, chips in small amounts not bad but I do miss a nice big Jacket from the spud man with Chilli or cheese n beans

Irish Maeve

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rain
Sorry to butt in on your discussion but was very interested in all the info re spuds. Being Irish I just LOVE my spuds and bread of any description. I have been T2 for about 6 years and I must say I had a very cavalier attitude up until about 6 months ago. My fasting bloods have been about 7 or 8 each day and I usually didn't check after that unless I feel strange or shaky. About 6 mths ago I developed a feeling like a lump or tightness in my throat and it got worse if I ate potatoes or bread. I cut these out totally and the tightness has eased but the difference in my readings was amazing. Down to 4.5 on fasting stomach and never over 8 when checked two hrs after food. I eat protein and veg or salad at main meals. If I fall off the wagon and try even a tiny portion of potato/bread/rice/pasta the lump is back almost immediately. I am being referred for camera procedure and really am not looking forward to that. Dr thinks it may be GERD but could possibly be stress related as my Mother was very ill and has since died on 15 Sept. Hopefully the stress will lessen now and I can get back to normal but will definitely be giving the carbs a wide berth. Only downside is I am losing way too much weight and don't know what to eat to gain a few lbs. Any suggestions? Once again apologies for hijacking your discussion.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Sorry to butt in on your discussion but was very interested in all the info re spuds. Being Irish I just LOVE my spuds and bread of any description. I have been T2 for about 6 years and I must say I had a very cavalier attitude up until about 6 months ago. My fasting bloods have been about 7 or 8 each day and I usually didn't check after that unless I feel strange or shaky. About 6 mths ago I developed a feeling like a lump or tightness in my throat and it got worse if I ate potatoes or bread. I cut these out totally and the tightness has eased but the difference in my readings was amazing. Down to 4.5 on fasting stomach and never over 8 when checked two hrs after food. I eat protein and veg or salad at main meals. If I fall off the wagon and try even a tiny portion of potato/bread/rice/pasta the lump is back almost immediately. I am being referred for camera procedure and really am not looking forward to that. Dr thinks it may be GERD but could possibly be stress related as my Mother was very ill and has since died on 15 Sept. Hopefully the stress will lessen now and I can get back to normal but will definitely be giving the carbs a wide berth. Only downside is I am losing way too much weight and don't know what to eat to gain a few lbs. Any suggestions? Once again apologies for hijacking your discussion.
Sounds like you are basically changing to a low carb diet. You might try increasing your fat intake to compensate for the lack of calories from carbs. There are some good threads here on low carb high fat (LCHF) diets. From what I've read, if protein is too high a pecentage of your macronutrients it can cause kidney problems in the long run. :blackeye:

Irish Maeve

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rain
Sounds like ) you are basically changing to a low carb diet. You might try increasing your fat intake to compensate for the lack of calories from carbs. There are some good threads here on low carb high fat (LCHF) diets. From what I've read, if protein is too high a pecentage of your macronutrients it can cause kidney problems in the long run. :blackeye:

Hi NoCrbs4Me: Thanks for replying. Kidney problems?? Something else to worry about. Don't understand macronutrients part - sorry. I eat porridge for breakfast (can tolerate that) followed by a banana. No snack unless perhaps some almonds and glass of milk. Lunch has been 2 scrambled eggs with cheese and raw tomato - no bread. Afternoon snack a scone and butter with coffee. Dinner is either fish, chicken or steak (oven baked) with lots of different veg. I have sweet potato but hate it as it is nothing like the taste of a real spud. Supper is another small portion of porridge and that's it most days. Boring. I also have high cholesterol so can't add too many fats in (I think). It's all getting too complicated for me now. Must check out the LCHF diet and see if I can get a few ideas for tasty and nutritions menus. Thanks for your suggestions. Will google macronutients and see what that is.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
The 3 macro nutrients are carbohydrates, protein and fat. I have found that LCHF has done wonders for my blood glucose levels and improved my cholesterol numbers. A very low carb diet tends to improve cholesterol numbers, even if you increase the amount fat to compensate the loss of calories. Haven't really lost much weight on it, though. I'm surprised you can eat that much carbs at breakfast and not affect your blood glucose levels. :bored:

mia160505

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
sweet potatoes iv herd are better , but i love mash potato , so i will give sweet mash a try , wondering if jacket potato and cottage cheese would be ok