But how often do you eat them?

Reactions: 2 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
a mix of beef dripping and lamb dripping.
I'm using lard and beef dripping and I like that.. for oil, I'd use peanut

lynbrown

This will be the first time in about 20 years! Cant remember what I used before. We normally have frozen/oven chips but I crave the taste of the old fashioned ones.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
old fashioned is the beef dripping
do a first cook till they float, then cool them down and do a second cook when you are ready

Reactions: 4 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
We just use vegetable oil, my mum would always use beef dripping when we were kids, the smell us to stink the house out but it did make good chips.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
We use Rapeseed Oil now. Jack is right. Do a first cook, then remove basket from fat, let fat heat up some more, then dip them back in to make them deliciously crispy.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
We use Rapeseed Oil now. Jack is right. Do a first cook, then remove basket from fat, let fat heat up some more, then dip them back in to make them deliciously crispy.

This is my wife's way and she makes beautiful crispy chips. She par-boils them, once the water begins to boil she leaves them for a couple of minutes and then drains them in a colander and allows them to cool and dry, she then fries them once for a couple of minutes and removes them and fries them again just before the other food is ready, if you use a potato like Maris Piper your guaranteed to make beautiful tasting chips.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I've taken that a step further.
Bung them in the chip pan and half cook them.
Pull them out let them go cold and then package and freeze until needed.
Very soft inside with a great texture outside.
I've done it where I've cooked them late morning and recooked them late afternoon too.
The most important thing with chip pans is regular changes of the fat/oil because spuds leave a lot of water in their wake which means old fat/oil is more boiling your chips than deep frying them.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
We use Maris Piper, or Cyprus when in season. My hubby is an ace chip maker.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
The most important thing with chip pans is regular changes of the fat/oil because spuds leave a lot of water in their wake which means old fat/oil is more boiling your chips than deep frying them.

It is also essential to change the oil frequently, as oil used over and over turns to trans fat.

Kathryn_Southern

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
Insulin
I second that, peanut oil. Although lard would make them the tastiest, that is very unhealthy.

lessci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For flavour Beef Dripping, if you want a polyunsaturated fat sunflower or rapeseed as both can be heated to a high temperature without burning. Never use olive oil. And I second the double cook approach

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Consider rice bran oil. It has a high flame point and is cholesterol free as well as being high in plant sterols.
It's available at Tesco and its reasonably priced to olive oil.
My discerning chip connoisseurs of the house love it for chips, whereas I also like to mix it with Apple cider vinegar for a salad dressing.