Feeling Ill and Tired

vicky72

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Me Again !! Its my 4th day on Low Carb and I have woken up today feeling like death. I have been on the loo most of the morning and feel as if I have been hit by a bus. I have no energy which I thought wouldn't be the case as I have read that people energy really picks up on this life style change.

I know my body is wondering what's hit it but should I be feeling this bad ? I don't think I have ever cried so much over not having a packet of crisp haha

Reactions: 2 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It won't last too long and then you'll start feeling good. I felt like that about crisps too!

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who interrupt you when you're talking and people who won't listen.
Me Again !! Its my 4th day on Low Carb and I have woken up today feeling like death. I have been on the loo most of the morning and feel as if I have been hit by a bus. I have no energy which I thought wouldn't be the case as I have read that people energy really picks up on this life style change.

I know my body is wondering what's hit it but should I be feeling this bad ? I don't think I have ever cried so much over not having a packet of crisp haha
Oh hun, I had a period like that too, so you have my sympathies! What helped me was upping the fats a bit as I initially started low carbing but was still eating lower fat dairy etc. Once I upped the fats (I stuck to good fats like nuts and avocados) I found I had more energy. I also found it was better to graze on some of the healthier fats, so that I always felt satisfied. however, I don't have much control where food is concerned and a small handful of nuts kept becoming a binge, so I now just stick to my meals, but I'm used to lower carb now.

I was a huge crisp addict and was known for being able to polish off 6 bags of a family bag in one go. Funny thing is, because it's a rare treat, I don't really crave them like I thought I would. I can now eat 1 bag...most of the time! Ok, so sometimes it's a family bag LOL. In my defence, I've probably only had 1 family bag and 6 bags of crisps since June.

Reactions: 6 people

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

This sounds all wrong, no way should anyone feel like death etc; by a change in diet.
Whatever you are doing with your diet should be done in a slow moderate way.
Might be something in this diet that does not agree with you, or you may have picked up a tummy bug or flu type thing etc;
Hope you get well soon and you find the good food that controls your diabetic in a manner that agrees with your body.:):)

Are you using a BG meter ? and are you type1 or type2.?

Reactions: 4 people

collectingrocks

Hi Vicky

Just replied to your other post. I know a change of diet affects people different ways but as izzzi says, you shouldn't be getting what you describe. Not unless you are really unlucky and your body is reeling from the lack of its usual diet. Definately sounds like a tummy bug. Over time, your gut will get used to low-carbing so don't give up! Perhaps you did a bit too much too soon...?

vicky72

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This sounds all wrong, no way should anyone feel like death etc; by a change in diet.
Might be something in this diet that does not agree with you, or you may have picked up a tummy bug or flu type thing etc;
Hope you get well soon and you find the good food that controls your diabetic in a manner that agrees with your body.:):)

Feeling a lot better today, thank god. Probably a bug but I did up the carb and this morning felt lots better. I am pre diabetic and my bloods 6.2 fasting along with other result showed im on the wrong path. I have ordered a BG meter just waiting for it to arrive.

vicky72

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Vicky

Just replied to your other post. I know a change of diet affects people different ways but as izzzi says, you shouldn't be getting what you describe. Not unless you are really unlucky and your body is reeling from the lack of its usual diet. Definately sounds like a tummy bug. Over time, your gut will get used to low-carbing so don't give up! Perhaps you did a bit too much too soon...?

I did lighter life a few years ago and had to come off it because I started to pass out, my body LOVESSSS carbs way to much lol I'm giving my body what it needs with good carbs and its defiantly working. Feeling so much better today and 6lb lighter !!

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I did lighter life a few years ago and had to come off it because I started to pass out, my body LOVESSSS carbs way to much lol I'm giving my body what it needs with good carbs and its defiantly working. Feeling so much better today and 6lb lighter !!
I also tried the lighter life diet, felt really ill and to add insult to injury only lost about 4lb in a month! In the end my doctor told me to eat normally because my body was shutting down. I'm now wary of diets and try to eat normally but healthily. I've lost about 21lbs in a year - not much but at least I'm still feeling well on it and am still losing - slowly but surely☺

Reactions: 4 people

Harley Mike

I am 12weeks in on Type 2 just like Vicky I am always tired, have no energy, pains in my muscles of my legs and arms and truly feel unwell. My blood sugar was 13.3 at the start so am on aspirin, simvastatin and of course Metformin (Glucophage SR 1000mg) twice daily. I am a recently retired engineer age 67, and I have never fealt like this in my life, I cannot even hold up one of my Harley's let alone ride it as I feel my legs would give way. My doctor say's this is the Stains I am taking but it will go away, myself I'm not so sure, after attending the Desmond seminar they stated there are different types of statins and for reasons unknown they usually start with the cheapest and when they get a patient with trouble change it, this I don't know but my doctor didn't change mine and my cholesterol is 1. I was a little overweight but on a low carb diet have managed to lose one and a half stone in twelve weeks so I thought at first this was the cause of the problem but as my change in diet was very little to my original this obviously was not the problem. Does anyone else suffer with this acute tiredness, loss of energy and muscle pain and do they know the cure? sorry to blather on but I am at a loss.

modesty007

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Feeling a lot better today, thank god. Probably a bug but I did up the carb and this morning felt lots better. I am pre diabetic and my bloods 6.2 fasting along with other result showed im on the wrong path. I have ordered a BG meter just waiting for it to arrive.
Lower the carbs slowly and you might get less carb flu. Also follow the advice from jack412, up the water intake have some extra salt.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am 12weeks in on Type 2 just like Vicky I am always tired, have no energy, pains in my muscles of my legs and arms and truly feel unwell. My blood sugar was 13.3 at the start so am on aspirin, simvastatin and of course Metformin (Glucophage SR 1000mg) twice daily. I am a recently retired engineer age 67, and I have never fealt like this in my life, I cannot even hold up one of my Harley's let alone ride it as I feel my legs would give way. My doctor say's this is the Stains I am taking but it will go away, myself I'm not so sure, after attending the Desmond seminar they stated there are different types of statins and for reasons unknown they usually start with the cheapest and when they get a patient with trouble change it, this I don't know but my doctor didn't change mine and my cholesterol is 1. I was a little overweight but on a low carb diet have managed to lose one and a half stone in twelve weeks so I thought at first this was the cause of the problem but as my change in diet was very little to my original this obviously was not the problem. Does anyone else suffer with this acute tiredness, loss of energy and muscle pain and do they know the cure? sorry to blather on but I am at a loss.

Hi I had to come off the Statins (my cholesterol was 3.5) when I found that it made me dizzy all the time - not good when you work full time and have to travel 25 miles to get there! I also had an increase in my BG levels whilst taking them. I went from 6 to 7.2 and was put on Sitglipitin (sp). Since I came off the Statins I've felt a lot better, my BG levels have reduced to 5.2 and I have come off the Sitgliptin. However my Cholesterol is slowly creeping up (5.0) and I have another test in November to see if I can stay off both the Statins and Sitgliptin and carry on controlling with diet alone.

Newapothecary

I agree with Izzi. If you crash the carbs your body will crash. I reduced gradually and now my HbA1c is down to 39, which makes me 'normal', but I could never have gone this low in the first few weeks and still functioned. The good thing is that, using a meter for guidance, I now know what I can and can't eat and that if I want something a little naughty, I exercise to earn it or have a small amount with a lot of salad and that's usually enough to prevent me from having a high. But cutting all carbs in one hit is only what 'they' tell you to do because 'they' have never tried it personally!!!!

peter_s

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A reply for Harley Mike. Since I am a 67 year old retired electronic engineer I can identify with you. I was diagnosed T2 about 4 years ago, Desmond course etc. Then two years ago my Ferritin count was high - and it had been for at least two years until they decided to tell me off for drinking too much. I don't drink, so when I said that, the test had to be repeated. Turns out that I have Haemochromatosis, a hereditary problem which is way under-diagnosed. It causes high blood sugar levels, but is only for convenience labelled T2. It causes many symptoms, including fatigue and arthritis, but so many can be attributed to other things. The treatment is venesection, taking off 450ml of blood every week or two for a year. It's just like giving blood, although oddly the needle is bigger. You get used to it. There is a lot of info here and elsewhere on Haemochromatosis, check it out. It's serious, arguably more so than T2, can cause heart attacks in otherwise fit, not overweight, non-drinkers and non-smokers, so ask your doc.