Breakfast confusion

la signora

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello again.
I have been working on my low carb diet, using the meter to see what I can eat. I have continued with my traditional meusli bkfst and have been getting post 2hr readings between 6.2 - 7.2, which is good I think?
Now, yesterday fasting BGL was 5.4, 45mins after bkfst I tested (had to go out) and BGL was 9.1 (Good Grief). Will have to give up the meusli.
Today fasting BGL 5.5 Had natural yoghurt. with seeds, nuts and 4 small strawbs for bkfst and tested after 45mins BGL 9.4 !!
Have just tested again after 2hrs 30min and is down to 6.6
I suppose the question is what am I to make of this and what would a non diabetic reading be after 45mins?
I would welcome your thoughts on this.
I also want to say what a wonderful website this is. I haven't had to post because the answers to all my questions could be found on here. It is like having a friend on the end of the telephone. This forum is so kind and friendly. Thank you so much.

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

Everyone will spike after eating a meal with carbs in it. Non-diabetics come back down by approximately 2 hours whereas diabetics can stay up there a lot longer. As long as you are down again at 2 hours approx. there isn't much need to worry (in my opinion). A lot depends on what the food was. If there is a lot of fat in the meal, it will not spike as high and will take longer to come down - a more gentle curve rather than a sharp spike. Nothing is set in stone. Try the yogurt breakfast again tomorrow and test at 1hr and 2hrs. See what happens.

The important reading for diabetics is 2hrs.

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had to swap my beloved muesli for bacon and egg. Luckily I love that too, but muesli was so easy. However, it raised my BS too much. My morning BS is always higher than through the rest of the day, so I find yoghurt in the morning does affect my BS, yet later in the day it doesn't. I don't understand why this is.

terryamunson

I had to swap my beloved muesli for bacon and egg. Luckily I love that too, but muesli was so easy. However, it raised my BS too much. My morning BS is always higher than through the rest of the day, so I find yoghurt in the morning does affect my BS, yet later in the day it doesn't. I don't understand why this is.
I was told to have weetabix always good results!

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was told to have weetabix always good results!
I like Weetabix, and it is something my diabetic nurse always mentions, but it always makes me want to sprinkle on sugar, so for me bacon and egg is a better bet - I never want to sugar that up! ;)

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Testing after 45 minutes is rather unusual as even non diabetics would probably show high blood glucose levels so soon after a meal. Testing after two hours is more common, by which time you would hope to be back to something within a couple of units of your pre meal values.

la signora

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you all for your replies.
Yes \pavlosn I realise that testing after 45mins is unusual and it will never happen again.
Anyway, this morning fasting 4.9 followed by the yoghurt bkfst. 2hrs later 5.5 so that is one bkfst I can have. I like bacon and egg Rosie, but if I start cooking a full english my husband who has a heart condition will definitely want some too. Can't take the risk and will have to keep it for the occaisional supper.
I am finding using the meter and having some control over my glucose levels quite exciting. I suppose you'll think me an idiot.

modesty007

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you all for your replies.
Yes \pavlosn I realise that testing after 45mins is unusual and it will never happen again.
Anyway, this morning fasting 4.9 followed by the yoghurt bkfst. 2hrs later 5.5 so that is one bkfst I can have. I like bacon and egg Rosie, but if I start cooking a full english my husband who has a heart condition will definitely want some too. Can't take the risk and will have to keep it for the occaisional supper.
I am finding using the meter and having some control over my glucose levels quite exciting. I suppose you'll think me an idiot.

Since cardio vascular diseases/heart diseases are caused by low grade inflammation (new research the last couple of years), fueled by sugar (carbs) and omega 6 fat (yess that's why you stay away from all margarine and spreads) unless somebody is suffering from familial hypercholesterolemia (FH), low carbing with egg and bacon should be a minor worry.