There's more of us out there?!

HayleyBumble

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys!!

So I've been T1 for 14 years now, injecting 4 times daily for the past 6 years or so and lately my control has been hit and miss.

It's only recently occurred to me to look for some forums / blogs to see if there are any fellow diabetics to talk to and share stories with - and it turns out there are a load of you!

I'm so glad to have came across this site as I've been struggling in my own little bubble for the past few years, and as much as family and friends try, it's just not the same as talking to people who know what living with this pain in the ass condition is like!

I've been struggling with my weight for as long as I can remember (I'm 24 now) and I've now lost 3.5 stone - I still have 1 more to go but touch wood I'm getting there.

Have gone back to basics with my diabetes and tracking EVERYTHING I eat, how much exercise I do and tracking insulin - which is totally a full time job in itself, but I'm hoping it will really help in the long run with understanding my body a little bit better.

So that's a little bit about me - I hope to get to know you guys better and we can share knowledge and experience to get even better and pretending to be a pancreas!!!

Hayley :)

Reactions: 4 people

this is too difficult two

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
welcome to the forum. Plenty of people here will be able to talk to you about this. Not me though. I'm not T1.
They will be along soon.:)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome!

Sounds like you are getting right on top of things. :)

Have you found the type 1 section of the forum? Masses of brilliant info there, and some really experienced people to help with any questions.

Look forward to seeing you around. :happy:

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I'm beginning to think we're really aliens adapting to this planet.
Welcome aboard.

HayleyBumble

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for your 'hellos' :)

I've had a little browse through the T1 conversations along with many others - there's so much info on them all its a little overwhelming but I'm definitely in the right place!

Reactions: 3 people

HayleyBumble

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You know sometimes you're sat at home on a Friday night celebrating the fact 5/6 readings have been single figures today and wondering what your life is, haha. Small victories

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
You know sometimes you're sat at home on a Friday night celebrating the fact 5/6 readings have been single figures today and wondering what your life is, haha. Small victories
Mine of information this place ... so get your helmet and boots on and start digging!

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The hassle and ignorance of diabetes.
Hello @HaleyBumble and welcome!

Another app to consider with foods is Carbs & Cals (http://www.carbsandcals.com/) - which can be helpful when eating out / ordering takeaways.

Well done on your weight loss - and good luck with the next phase.

As for your control being "a bit hit and miss" just ask away because there's someone else (if not 10 to the power of 15x squared people) in this ether who has probably been there and got a wardrobe of proverbial T-shirts! ,

Best wishes,
Conrad

Reactions: 2 people

HayleyBumble

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh yeah carbs & cals has been a firm favourite of mine for the past few years now!

I think I'm getting there with the control - understanding it's me who needs to change it and it's not gonna happen on its own - and me sitting on my ass eating too much **** food and miscalculating my insulin definitely isn't the answer.

Shame it took me so long to realise, but hey. Such is life!

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Oh yeah carbs & cals has been a firm favourite of mine for the past few years now!

I think I'm getting there with the control - understanding it's me who needs to change it and it's not gonna happen on its own - and me sitting on my ass eating too much **** food and miscalculating my insulin definitely isn't the answer.

Shame it took me so long to realise, but hey. Such is life!

Ahhh, but I bet you haven't had the sort of diabetes education we all really need - not only at diagnosis, but also a revision every couple of years... plus in an environment facilitated and including other T1 (or T2s ,etc).

There have been too many cases of diabetics being expected to understand endocrinology with only half the information, so don't blame yourself. Yes, we're responsible for our bodies, and yes, we're told not to eat too much of the wrong sorts of foods, etc., but if you were to look at the recommended food lists of the past 20 years, you'd be left wondering who is right and who is wrong!

And, as for DAFNE, has anyone been on a DAFNE course to be told that you need to eat fewer carbs because blood glucose meters can be as much as 30% out, and that if you combine such variance with 'doorstep' style syringe/pen insulin delivery and a 'guestimated' I:C ratio that you could easily find yourself giving 50% more or less insulin than you actually need?

So, don't beat yourself up too much. Read up on the basics (via the home page is a good start) and then use the search box in the forums for a question / issue.

Oh yeah, and as for taking so long - you've woken up and started tackling things far earlier than I ever did so well done you :D

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys!!

So I've been T1 for 14 years now, injecting 4 times daily for the past 6 years or so and lately my control has been hit and miss.

It's only recently occurred to me to look for some forums / blogs to see if there are any fellow diabetics to talk to and share stories with - and it turns out there are a load of you!

I'm so glad to have came across this site as I've been struggling in my own little bubble for the past few years, and as much as family and friends try, it's just not the same as talking to people who know what living with this pain in the ass condition is like!

I've been struggling with my weight for as long as I can remember (I'm 24 now) and I've now lost 3.5 stone - I still have 1 more to go but touch wood I'm getting there.

Have gone back to basics with my diabetes and tracking EVERYTHING I eat, how much exercise I do and tracking insulin - which is totally a full time job in itself, but I'm hoping it will really help in the long run with understanding my body a little bit better.

So that's a little bit about me - I hope to get to know you guys better and we can share knowledge and experience to get even better and pretending to be a pancreas!!!

Hayley :)

Hi HayleBumble ! I also have T1, since I was 14 years old. I´m injecting five times per day ( maybe this could make you feel better). I think my control is ok, but it´s always good to be able to talk to someone that have the same problem as you.

I know exactly what you feel about been struggling in a bubble and this kind of thing. I don´t have any friend that have diabetes, except for one girl that I just meet in my school.

I´m new here too, so I hope that we have a good time here and share a lot of experiencies about diabetes. =)

mattmo86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Hayley,

I've been T1 for 16 years, I've struggled for most of them tbh. Am only just getting to grips with everything, but still feel like I have a long way to go. I struggle to talk to people bout it really, and pretty much feel like I should hide it.

I struggle with weight too, but I need to put it on, as don't have much to lose now. It does become a daily battle to me, keeping up the energy to actually test/inject even eat sometimes.

Anyway if you fancy a chat, feel free to drop me a message. Take Care :)

mattmo86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Im very skinny, but still losing weight, hence need to put it on! am on the line between healthy weight and underweight. I eat, and keep blood as stable as possible, I have a very physical job and struggle to keep weight on

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I've been T1 for 16 years, I've struggled for most of them tbh. Am only just getting to grips with everything, but still feel like I have a long way to go. I struggle to talk to people bout it really, and pretty much feel like I should hide it.

I struggle with weight too, but I need to put it on, as don't have much to lose now. It does become a daily battle to me, keeping up the energy to actually test/inject even eat sometimes.

Hi @mattmo86 ,

Well, you''ve made the first great stride: a) by owing up that you struggle with it (welcome to the club); b) admit that you try to hide it (touche over the years); and c) joined this chicken run and spoken up.

Welcome aboard - it's the best thing I've ever done with my diabetes...

You mentioned you struggle with weight gain: I assume you're underweight (borderline or otherwise)? How are your BG's and HbA1c (or do you not test / test regularly, etc. )?

Best wishes,
Conrad

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Im very skinny, but still losing weight, hence need to put it on! am on the line between healthy weight and underweight. I eat, and keep blood as stable as possible, I have a very physical job and struggle to keep weight on

Stable, but? Have you increased your food intake, changed to full fat foodstuffs, etc.? Or have you considered other options (e.g. coeliac or hyperthyroidism?

If your BGs are stable and at a good level, then it's not ketones; if you've increased your intake to meet the physcal work, then you need to consider other matters.