Possible vitamin B12 & D deficiencies - advice required please

Molly56

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Am coming round to the conclusion that perhaps deficiencies in B12 and vitamin D are part of my partner’s problem having followed other people’s experiences on the forum and looking at the symptoms….can see definite similarities ….

One of my main reasons for thinking that B12 may be an issue is his long term use of metformin and now being on the maximum dose of 2000mg per day......."Metformin can cause malabsorption issues and a deficiency in B12 can cause neuropathy symptoms"......neuropathy is one of his problems as is tiredness / fatigue / depression /memory problems......

On this basis I have the following questions…

• Am seeing the GP next week so will mention this and ask whether blood tests already done have tested for this….if not, will request a blood test to check for this….

• In the meantime though would it be OK to look at getting some supplements for B12 and vitamin D…would it do any harm to start taking these without knowing what current levels are…

• Is there any reason not to take these supplements such as conflicts with current prescribed medication …would probably check it out with our local pharmacist first….

• Where is the best place to get these supplements and what strength should I be looking for….

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks

Have posted similar question on my other thread but thought I would also start a new thread to get some separate advice in a different part of the forum......apologies for duplication if anyone has read the other one....

desidiabulum

Hi. What is your partner's control like? The symptoms are all explicable just with diabetes. But an endocrinologist told me that she thought anyone who has been on full dose of Metformin for more than 3 or 4 years should get their B12 levels checked anyway, so it makes sense to ask about this when you see the GP.
My instinct is to avoid self-medicating supplements, but others on the forum may say otherwise. It would certainly be worth talking to the GP about vit. D supplements, I would have thought.
Good luck

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I'd be inclined to hold off until you've discussed it with your gp and have the results of the tests.

Reactions: 2 people

Molly56

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi. What is your partner's control like? The symptoms are all explicable just with diabetes. But an endocrinologist told me that she thought anyone who has been on full dose of Metformin for more than 3 or 4 years should get their B12 levels checked anyway, so it makes sense to ask about this when you see the GP.
My instinct is to avoid self-medicating supplements, but others on the forum may say otherwise. It would certainly be worth talking to the GP about vit. D supplements, I would have thought.
Good luck
@desidiabulum .....control not good....subject of my other threads and continued frustration that he does not take it seriously. I had picked up on the issue with the Metformin so will use this as my way in for a discussion about B12 deficiency when we see him next week as my partner has been on this for a number of years now (probably up to 10 years...not sure how long as he was on it before we met...)
I agree that it would not be good to self medicate without checking it out first but just thought I would pose the question and get some feedback from other members of the forum.....at least that way I can go along better informed for a discussion with the GP.
Thanks for your reply...:)

this is too difficult two

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
B 12 cant be overdosed I believe. So it wont do any harm, There are different opinions on the effectiveness of B12 supplements.. Get him to the doctor for a test.

H

Hooked

You can't overdose on B vitamins, you'll just pee the excess out. Vitamin D is stored in the body so probably advisable to not take a huge amount. Vit D also effects Magnesium levels in the body (don't ask me for the exact science, I can't recall!) so if higher doses of Vit D are taken it's a good idea to also take Magnesium.
Best to discuss with the Dr for proper advice.

SanFranDeb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I've been treated for deficiencies for both. Blood tests can detect deficiencies for both vitamins.

If there truly is a vitamin b deficiency, typically injections are required. I don't recall the dosage. All injections were done at the doctors office. Currently, I take 5000 mcg sublingual daily. The injections had a much bigger impact on me. I felt like the Energizer Bunny for several days following injection.

For vitamin d deficiencies, the standard treatment by a physician here is 50,000 iu weekly for 8 - 12 weeks. I currently take 5000 iu daily, although I suspect I'm low again.

I was treated for the vitamin b deficiency when my levels were prediabetic. The vitamin d deficiency was discovered with the same blood test I was diagnosed with.

Most common symptom is tiredness.