Hair loss from insulin?

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can Humalog / Levimar cause hair loss? Noticing a lot of hair coming out when I wash or brush it.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I doubt it but can't say for sure, check the patient leaflet, If it gets too bad go to your Dr's and get some bloods checks.

hels

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you had your thyroid checked? I think that can be a symptom of hypothyroidism which sometimes goes with type 1.

Reactions: 6 people

Lee_Gerrard

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
My daughter is 15 and I am her primary carer, she has lovely long thick blond hair and ever since she got diagnosed 3 months ago she has also suffered with hair loss. She has been checked for thyroid but the result came back ok. I asked our diabetic support nurse and she said it's a result of high Blood sugar and once it was under control the hair loss would stop. This can take up to 6 months but I think it is starting to get better now as I don't seem to be collecting as many hairs.

I hope this is helpful to you. Also take a vitamin D to boost it.

Reactions: 2 people

Jaz253

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Government politic management anywhere, extreme religion approach, uninformed doctors
On a highcarb diet this year, after I came out of an unconscious hypo-correction episode I noticed while I was taking a shower to remove all the sugar from my head, that my hair began to fall down. This kept happening until I realized I was poisoning myself.
I also use Novonordisk insulins (both Novolins) but don't think it has anything to do with the medication; more than ur diet and activity expense, since I started trying to control my BS my hair didn't fall anymore ;)

Reactions: 2 people