STOPTOVER, Smoke free October.

Anie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I stopped I used patches (until I thought that they were the cause of me not feeling well) but I WANTED to stop.

One of the big incentives for me was the money, it was lovely to be able to buy things that I wouldn't have been able to afford and now don't know how people can afford to smoke.

I'm also pleased that we(me and OH) stopped because I am sure that our daughter wouldn't have been as happy to leave our grandson with us and for him to have overnight stays.

Good luck to all those who are doing this. Hope you all succeed.

Reactions: 4 people

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
I will join you,I have got e cigs,I have tried on and off for years.

A

AnnieC

Good luck to you all who are trying to give up smoking in October half the battle is really wanting to do it and if you are determined it is not to hard to do.Have a little treat each week with the money you save having something to look forward to helps

JohnD54

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rice
@ally1
@Totto
@CathyP
@patricia22
Have you decided your start dates & if your are going cold turkey or using an aid. Let us know your opinions.

Helsin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was still smoking when I was diagnosed type 2 and first joined this forum. The doctor said I should think about stopping, but I considered I had enough to worry about at the time. I bought an ecig though, hoping to reduce my 40+ daily habit for cost reasons. A few weeks later I found that I simply hadn't smoked for more than a day. That was a bit of a revelation as it had never happened in my many decades of smoking before, but my head said that if I could do it for a day I could do it for longer. It was a bit like a switch turning on. I haven't smoked since then - months ago now and never think about it except to be incredulous that it was so easy. Still vaping a little, but it is nothing like the same urge and I am sure I will knock that on the head too at some point.

Reactions: 10 people

hello2uleeds

My start date is 1st October and I intend going cold turkey though I do have some mouth spray in case I need to use it on the odd occasion
Everyone tries different things we are all unique and I stopped by patches and Alan Carr's famous book. My thoughts were nothing and no one rules me! Good luck sweetie :)

issyben

I am new here. I am in Australia and I have been type 2 for 2 years. I am 65 (still working) and I smoked for over 40 years. Three years ago I bought an ecigarrette kit and I have not gone back since. It has now been over six months since I even had a vape with the ecig.

For me it was very easy this way as I always thought the mental was worse than the physical addiction, as I could go one or two days without cigarettes and other days I could smoke a whole packet or even more. I had tried everything before and nothing had worked for me. With the ecig it was not even hard. I know it may not work for everyone, but I think it's worth the try. Good luck to you!

Ann18

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
Two faced people
I know how hard it is to stop smoking! I am not sure about these e-cigarettes to be honest... In my view they are still addictive as in nicotine etc.?

I have stopped about three years ago now when I found out my son is allergic to cigarette smoke even though we never smoked indoors... I also found that I was not enjoying it at all anymore and it was just a habit...
I stopped like that and went cold turkey... I put the money that I used to spend on cigarettes in a pot and each week that I did not smoke bought us all a treat ;-)
Good luck to all of you on your journey to be smoke free! You can do it!
Ann xx

Reactions: 2 people

saffynix

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
being a diabetic
Hi,I also went down e cig route ,really recommend it ,good luck

saffynix

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
being a diabetic
Have to disagree with others about getting addicted to e cigs ,I haven't had any cigs for a long time ,I couldn't have done it without e cigs

anteater2012

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
People who don't listen to others i.e. the 8 members of this forum I have put on ignore as they talk such utter **** all the time. This now includes the member who thinks they are a moderator.
Also agree with @saffynix. Did not find them addictive and only spent about 6 weeks in them before giving up completely.

What I will say about giving up is that use whatever method for giving up you want (ecigs, patches, tablets, cold turkey etc.,) but what is required (no matter what) is WILLPOWER to not smoke the cig itself.

Usually this means changing your reaction to the scenarios that would normally gave you reaching for a cig.

I.e instead of going for tea break I would go for a brisk walk around the car park. Or I if I fancied a cig I would have a drink if water instead and give myself a talking to. I also downloaded a stop smoking app which included a couple of simple games which I would spend 5-10 mins playing instead of a cig. I also chewed a fair bit of gum. You will have to work your own solutions to breaking behaviour/reaction - take up knitting perhaps!
If all that fails then calculate the money you will save between now and Xmas day and then consider STOPtober.

I wish you all lots of smoke free days.

JohnD54

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rice
OK, I have 4/5 packs of cigs left that I bought in Spain, when they are gone thats my lot.

I am fighting with D, and will fight with CIgs as well, my good lady doesn't know a out this, I suggested I would stop when our first daughter was born some 22 years ago, and again, 20 and 11 years ago, all girls.

The time has come, I will,post on here whether good or bad.

Good luck to everyone.

JohnD54

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rice
It's with great trepidation that I smoke my LAST cigarette, have e cig on standby for tomorrow.

rden66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good luck to all of you who are stopping smoking tomorrow.
One thing,as you've already made your mind up to stop your 99% there.
Ex smoker of 4 months.
Let us know how you get on.
It will help your HbA1c figures,you'll feel fitter,healthier and no longer be a slave to tobacco. Be free....

saffynix

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
being a diabetic
Good luck for tomorrow you'll be fine, I started on med nicotine after a couple months went on nicotine free ,a lot of people don't know you can get nicotine free e cigs ,I've smoked for years I'm in my 60s and this is the best and easiest way to stop,you'll be good .

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I went cold turkey.
I can remember being on my hands and knees whilst rooting through a dirty smelly greasy kitchen bin picking out the last few skinny little rolly dog ends to build one last pleasure stick.
I even walked to a phone box once and picked up three dog ends on the way and bingo ... half a dozen fat ones in the booth!
Middle of the night in a pub car park finding the spot where some uncaring litter lout had emptied the contents of their car ashtray onto the car park .... I thought I'd died and gone to heaven!
That's how desperately disgusting nicotine addiction can be.
You're all junkies and there's no way round that.
You comfort yourselves with the fact you're a legal junkie though and so that enables you to carry on.
It's disgusting.
Admit what weaklings you are in the face of drug addiction.
It controls you.
A lifeless bit of junk controls your every waking moment.
Man up ... walk away ... grow some ... do it!

Nowt worse than a reformed smoker they say .....
156503.gif

Trouble for you junkies though is ... what I said is true.
I have no sympathy ... you know you're killing yourselves ... you know the money could be better spent .... you need that money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Stoptover .... makes it all sound so sweet.
It's a deadly killer addiction.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
I know how difficult it can be folks.
The hint was in the the things I found myself doing in bins etc.
Here's to quitting it and better health ....
34418.gif