CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
@Susan1991,
T2 an was on insulin so perhaps I can help a little!
You're on insulin so you SHOULD be able to get SOME strips!
First look at what you are eating and try cutting back on your carbs intake but be careful that your insulin dosing matches your new carbs!
Test at waking (fast) and before meals and at + 2 hrs.
You can now plot your before figures and use your diet and after figures to work out what raises your BG and what doesnt.
Manipulate your diet to try to lower your BG rises.
Share your results and we will try to help you tweak things.
I found removing most bread(now only Burgen), pasta, rice( subst califlower "rice"), grapes, bananas (now on rasps/ blueberries/ blackcurrants) losing cereals had a great effect.
HbA1c has fallen away and drugs as well :cool:

mims57

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I hope you also realise that you have to apply for the exemption certificate for your free meds :)
Many people just think they have to tick the box to say they are exempt, when in fact they have to fill in a form and send it off and then receive a card in the post to show the pharmacist on request.
My doctor filled out the form for me and all I had to do was sign it and post it off. When I went to get my prescription I explained about I had just filled the form in and they ticked the exemption box for me.

Last edited by a moderator:

mims57

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have nothing but praise for my doctor and a brilliant diabetic nurse who is only ever a phone call away if I need to speak to her. The pharmacist was very good and advised me on do's and don'ts . When I started on metformin the pharmacist phoned me twice in a month to make sure I was ok and had no side affects and did I have any questions.

Reactions: 2 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
My doctor filled out the form for me and all I had to do was sign it. When I went to get my prescription I explained about I had just filled the form in and they ticked the exemption box for me.
That's fine but you do need a card to say you are exempt. No idea when you were diagnosed but if it was more than a couple of months then you need to chase up the exemption certificate. It's now in credit card size bit of plastic size :)

mims57

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's fine but you do need a card to say you are exempt. No idea when you were diagnosed but if it was more than a couple of months then you need to chase up the exemption certificate. It's now in credit card size bit of plastic size :)
I was diagnosed early June and my card came through within a couple of weeks. The pharmacist said it would save me having to pay for my first prescription then put a claim in when my card came through as I could prove it was diabetes related.

Jaz253

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Government politic management anywhere, extreme religion approach, uninformed doctors
Indeed!! This forum is the next thing to a full of gold bucket! And thanks to all the regular and interested people who give their time so this is what has became. I could write forever... but the main, for me, has been the lowCarb, the fact that exercise can reduce ur BS, different ways of recognize hypos, and foremost, that I must listen to my gut. If I feel high, meter time. Low, eating is ok!

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
That listening to the NHS will make me get worse.
I stopped listening.
My health started improving straight away.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
That we can all struggle at times...

That life can be fantastic with the support of friends here.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
That we can all struggle at times...

That life can be fantastic with the support of friends here.

lily1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have learnt a lot more and find everyone helpful, can't say much for my doctors at all, thought they are there to help you but seems all to be duff info they give out.