Am I going down the right route?

Zombiedude

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So, having been diagnosed two weeks ago and not getting my first appointment until October the 1st, I have been trying to make changes based on what I see online.

I was terrible for soft drinks and snacks. I gave up snacking between meals and soft drinks immediately.
I now drink only tea, coffee and water.
I never took sugar but did use sweeteners, they have gone now too.
I have never been a chocolate/sweet/cake lover so not eating them is fine.
I was a big carb eater but have now limited them to next to nothing. I am still learning what contains carbs but for the most part I avoid the big 4.
I was a massive beer drinker but now have to adjust (or drop completely) from my life style.
I am also an ex-smoker of 9 years now.
I don't get my BG monitor until tomorrow and haven't had any results from the blood test I did to see where my levels have been for the last 3 months (although I am requesting them today as I don't want to wait until the 1st Ocotober to start taking control of my levels).

So, with all of those things now gone, am I doing the right thing so far?
I am reading up on the LCHF diet as I want to limit my carbs to as little as possible and I also want to still lose weight.

I guess I am just looking for some gentle nudging in the right direction, there is so much information out there it can be a little daunting and often confusing.

I hope I'm making sense!

Last edited by a moderator:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I congratulate you! You are definitely on the right track. When you get your meter you will learn a lot more about what your body will cope with carb-wise and how to control portions. Do come back and tell us what your first readings are. Well done so far.

Reactions: 2 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
That sounds an admirable start to me ZD! :)

Sam72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm doing exactly the same as you zombie dude!

Diagnosed properly on Monday but had strong suspicion for a while. Read loads about LCHF and have decided to give it a go.

Thinking about it I have realised my diet has been high carb low fat so it's going to be a challenge. Yesterday I walked round the supermarket and felt like crying - all my tried and tested normal family meals are now unsuitable for me.

I've started making a list of meal ideas from this site and enjoy omelettes, fish, all veg, but not a big meat eater.

Anybody got any breakfast/ snack ideas as well as family friendly main meal ideas just to get me started?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you had a look round the forum to see what others are eating? There is a thread called What have you eaten today, and many threads with recipes and meal ideas.

Breakfast ideas - full fat Greek yogurt with a few berries thrown in. Eggs cooked any which way, bacon and eggs.

If you are buying ready meals for yourself and family, these are not always a wise choice. It is best to cook from scratch.

Sam72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Will look at that thread thank you. I don't buy ready meals but my usual faves are all based around pasta, potatoes, rice or bread! Some do work without the carbs but others don't!!

Want to avoid giving my family high carb AND high fat if I just add some carbs to their meals. My husband definitely doesn't need that!

Not normally a yoghurt fan but actually really ended the Greek yog rasps and nuts I had this morning. Also noticed since trying low carb I feel fuller quicker?

Sam72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
* enjoyed!

Predictive text is not always a time saver!!!

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Diagnosed properly on Monday but had strong suspicion for a while. Read loads about LCHF and have decided to give it a go.

Thinking about it I have realised my diet has been high carb low fat so it's going to be a challenge. Yesterday I walked round the supermarket and felt like crying - all my tried and tested normal family meals are now unsuitable for me.

I've started making a list of meal ideas from this site and enjoy omelettes, fish, all veg, but not a big meat eater.

Anybody got any breakfast/ snack ideas as well as family friendly main meal ideas just to get me started?
I'm quite partial to left over veg frittata of a morning

this will keep you busy, if in doubt, add more olive oil or real butter
https://www.google.com.au/#q=low carb recipes

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors

ohh i remember the first time i made the LCHF decision, i was pumped and couldn't wait to get to the supermarket, two hours later i left empty handed and wanted to cry (not a good thing for a big bloke lol) it was soul destroying to be honest but it just gets easier, you learn which aisles not to bother with and which ones you have to completely block out and hold your breath so as to not smell the aisle (bread aisle for me lol) i went crazy looking at the recipe section and online at low carb recipes, it then became a challenge to make the complicated meals, i never cooked anything more elaborate than beans on toast before so it all seemed daunting, but the whole looking for recipes, getting the ingredients and experimenting with the cooking became a big game, i would say start with the fresh ingredients, the salad and veg is the basis, so spend your time in that section and throw in some berries and before you know it your proud of your shopping trolley lol no more packets of jaffa cakes and multipacks of crisps and you smugly put your shopping on the checkout belt whilst looking down your nose at the unhealthy types ewwwwww how could they eat that? do they not value their lives? lol then meats, cooked meats, fresh meats, sausages (black farmers are good for me) and now to my favourite isle, the baking isle, now your putting your ingredients on the checkout feeling even more smug, in your head everyones watching you and thinking "oh my god that person eats like a god and bakes too? i need to marry that person, they are awesome" lol remember that was only in my head, but it is all a game and a shopping experience to be proud of, you've made it around the shop, you have a trolley full of delicious healthy stuff and feel very smug as you walk out through the automatics doors knowing the secret, whilst the poor uneducated suffer there e-numbers and processed junk, family friendly meals? thats a good question as i eat differently to them.

we have spaghetti bolognaise, they have the pasta, i have leeks (yum) it takes like sweet pasta ribbons to me now lol its lush

we have roast dinners as normal but i have extra veg and meat, cheesy cauliflower mash, they have spuds and yorkshires

steak and chips, they have the chips, i have mushrooms and asparagus (double yum) (ok i quit with the yums, you get the picture)

home made burgers (y.... must not yum...must not yum...) there are amazing burger recipes on the net, my favourite is stuff burgers, you basically add your seasoning worcester sauce etc to the mince, make 2 thin patties, do some tiny cubes of cheese, chop up bacons into tiny bits the fry it separately put some on one patty, then put the other patty on top, seal the edges and fry, simply amazing (i tend to destroy them checking they are cooked through but delicious all the same lol, now the wife and kids drive me mad to make them for them, sorry this has broken out into a recipe thread.... they have whatever with theres buns, chips etc, i have mine wrapped in crisp lettuce leaves served with salad

omeletes omeletes omeletes, what can i say, watch youtube videos on making omelettes, there are very different methods, you get to try them all lol my favourite is my version of the denver, i sauté onion and green peppers, get the frying pan medium warm, whisk until bubbly 3 eggs, melt a little butter (not too much as it makes it too greasy and rich in my opinion) pour in the egg, wait for the egg to stop running when you tilt the pan, i also lift the edges of the egg and let the excess run out, i then put the sautéed stuff in, and chuck in lots of cheddar, flip over the other half so its a cdmi circle full of yum (oops) then i cover the pan and leave for another 45 seconds to let the cheese melt and hey presto a meal on its own or with salad, the whole family love these too

you can make crispy duck in pancakes but do the same as the burgers with the lettuce for you

have a pizza night but use cauliflower as your base, i do this with the kids and they make faces etc with theres, not sure the taste matters as much as who makes the best looking pizzas

ok ill stop going on its making me hungry, the point is its actually very easy when you get the hang of it :)

Zombiedude

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been sticking with the LCHF diet for a week now. It started getting easier yesterday.
Before hand I was starting to crave carbs, not now.
I have been eating things like :

Breakfast - 2 eggs and 2 rashers of bacon, eggs and ham ... pretty much 2 eggs and some meat.

Lunch - 5 tomatoes and some ham, Fresh water cobbler with a little cucumber and aubergine, tomato and chickpea soup with chorizo (not too many chickpeas).

Dinner - I had a chilli con carne (without kidney beans), roast dinner (no potatoes), Chicken Rogan Josh with some chicken tikka and cauliflower rice, homemade beef burgers (using lettuce leaves instead of buns) topped with Gorgonzola cheese and served with broccoli florets.

My carbs have stayed below 50 each day. Usually somewhere between 20 and 30. Occasionally above and occasionally below but never over 50.
I have gone from 266lbs to 251.4lbs since last Wednesday. It seems to be falling off fast at the moment, but I imagine it will slow down soon.

I hope this helps!

Reactions: 4 people

Zombiedude

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
ohh i remember the first time i made the LCHF decision, i was pumped and couldn't wait to get to the supermarket, two hours later i left empty handed and wanted to cry (not a good thing for a big bloke lol) it was soul destroying to be honest but it just gets easier, you learn which aisles not to bother with and which ones you have to completely block out and hold your breath so as to not smell the aisle (bread aisle for me lol) i went crazy looking at the recipe section and online at low carb recipes, it then became a challenge to make the complicated meals, i never cooked anything more elaborate than beans on toast before so it all seemed daunting, but the whole looking for recipes, getting the ingredients and experimenting with the cooking became a big game, i would say start with the fresh ingredients, the salad and veg is the basis, so spend your time in that section and throw in some berries and before you know it your proud of your shopping trolley lol no more packets of jaffa cakes and multipacks of crisps and you smugly put your shopping on the checkout belt whilst looking down your nose at the unhealthy types ewwwwww how could they eat that? do they not value their lives? lol then meats, cooked meats, fresh meats, sausages (black farmers are good for me) and now to my favourite isle, the baking isle, now your putting your ingredients on the checkout feeling even more smug, in your head everyones watching you and thinking "oh my god that person eats like a god and bakes too? i need to marry that person, they are awesome" lol remember that was only in my head, but it is all a game and a shopping experience to be proud of, you've made it around the shop, you have a trolley full of delicious healthy stuff and feel very smug as you walk out through the automatics doors knowing the secret, whilst the poor uneducated suffer there e-numbers and processed junk, family friendly meals? thats a good question as i eat differently to them.

we have spaghetti bolognaise, they have the pasta, i have leeks (yum) it takes like sweet pasta ribbons to me now lol its lush

we have roast dinners as normal but i have extra veg and meat, cheesy cauliflower mash, they have spuds and yorkshires

steak and chips, they have the chips, i have mushrooms and asparagus (double yum) (ok i quit with the yums, you get the picture)

home made burgers (y.... must not yum...must not yum...) there are amazing burger recipes on the net, my favourite is stuff burgers, you basically add your seasoning worcester sauce etc to the mince, make 2 thin patties, do some tiny cubes of cheese, chop up bacons into tiny bits the fry it separately put some on one patty, then put the other patty on top, seal the edges and fry, simply amazing (i tend to destroy them checking they are cooked through but delicious all the same lol, now the wife and kids drive me mad to make them for them, sorry this has broken out into a recipe thread.... they have whatever with theres buns, chips etc, i have mine wrapped in crisp lettuce leaves served with salad

omeletes omeletes omeletes, what can i say, watch youtube videos on making omelettes, there are very different methods, you get to try them all lol my favourite is my version of the denver, i sauté onion and green peppers, get the frying pan medium warm, whisk until bubbly 3 eggs, melt a little butter (not too much as it makes it too greasy and rich in my opinion) pour in the egg, wait for the egg to stop running when you tilt the pan, i also lift the edges of the egg and let the excess run out, i then put the sautéed stuff in, and chuck in lots of cheddar, flip over the other half so its a cdmi circle full of yum (oops) then i cover the pan and leave for another 45 seconds to let the cheese melt and hey presto a meal on its own or with salad, the whole family love these too

you can make crispy duck in pancakes but do the same as the burgers with the lettuce for you

have a pizza night but use cauliflower as your base, i do this with the kids and they make faces etc with theres, not sure the taste matters as much as who makes the best looking pizzas

ok ill stop going on its making me hungry, the point is its actually very easy when you get the hang of it :)

This post has just made me the happiest man alive. I have been going mad trying to think what I can use as spaghetti (to go with meatballs ... my favourite dish EVER) and the leeks idea never occurred to me! YOU GENIUS!!
How do you prepare them?

Also, you have just given me SO MANY ideas. You are AWESOME!

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Zombiedude like the others have said you have made a great start, I am impressed. Don't forget to keep asking questions if you need to, there's not a lot I can add to what has already been said right now. Keep it up.:)

Zombiedude

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Zombiedude like the others have said you have made a great start, I am impressed. Don't forget to keep asking questions if you need to, there's not a lot I can add to what has already been said right now. Keep it up.:)
Thank you.
I honestly believe I am in a positive frame of mind thanks to everyone here.
The support system this place provides is invaluable.
And everyone is just so helpful and nice.
I don't think I would have been able to do this without everyone here.
So ... Thank you ALL.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you.
I honestly believe I am in a positive frame of mind thanks to everyone here.
The support system this place provides is invaluable.
And everyone is just so helpful and nice.
I don't think I would have been able to do this without everyone here.
So ... Thank you ALL.
Well just remember to keep us updated with your progress, it encourages us too.:)

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
This post has just made me the happiest man alive. I have been going mad trying to think what I can use as spaghetti (to go with meatballs ... my favourite dish EVER) and the leeks idea never occurred to me! YOU GENIUS!!
How do you prepare them?

Also, you have just given me SO MANY ideas. You are AWESOME!

lol cool

i cut the ends off the leek, then cut it down the middle and it kind of falls apart into sheets like pasta sheets, i wash it and put it in boiling water for 3-4 minutes, i put a big knob of butter into a frying pan with a teaspoon of chinese 5 spice, thats quite a lot but i like the flavour, try half a teaspoon first time, then put the boiled leek into the frying pan and fry the **** out of it, lol its wonderful!

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I make lasagne which is my husband's favourite but I use celeriac or aubergine instead of the top layer of pasta The same with Bolognese I have caulli or leeks instead of the spag After a while you start to think outside the box Keep at it !!
CAROL

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
lol cool

i cut the ends off the leek, then cut it down the middle and it kind of falls apart into sheets like pasta sheets, i wash it and put it in boiling water for 3-4 minutes, i put a big knob of butter into a frying pan with a teaspoon of chinese 5 spice, thats quite a lot but i like the flavour, try half a teaspoon first time, then put the boiled leek into the frying pan and fry the **** out of it, lol its wonderful!
It does sound wonderful, but I've never heard that term for frying before............but I will try it too.:)

Reactions: 4 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
yeh well I'm just learning to cook, so obviously I'm not that advanced yet.:)

C

chris lowe

How did the appointment with the diabetic nurse go. No doubt you were told to have some carbs with every meal and a carby snack inbetween? Any way hope it went well