very dry skin

hollyslot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i have type 1 diabetes, and i have good control (hba1c is 6.5) but i get very very dry skin particularly on my hands. So dry they are always bleeding and cracked and hurt a lot all the time. does anyone else get this? could it be diabetes related? also does anyone have any tips? most moisturisers are too painful to use (i can only use one by avene that doesn't hurt). thanks.

jddukes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I get this too, dry skin is related to diabetes and yes it gets painful especially on your hands. If you are prone then even periods of good control don't stop this as diabetics will always have slightly higher BS than non-diabetics but it does get worse after periods of bad control.

Neutrogena I think make a "Norwegian formula" hand cream which is good for it.

J

Reactions: 2 people

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Try to avoid water based products if possible .Olive oil is good for cleaning your hands and Vaseline is a good moisturizer and cheap If you cover your hands with it and put on rubber gloves before washing up this will help ,also use before bed and wear a pair of cotton gloves .Hope you get better soon
CAROL

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
:hungry:Hands and feet with me .
Worsens in the autumn and winter too . :(

Vaseline spray can aloe vera is great for this .
Squirts out of can easily and very easy to spread and
rubs in well .
Soft cotton socks on my feet at night in bed .
Prevents staining or wet bed duvet .

Keeping BG levels down lessens the worsening of this
happening I have found . ;)
Pattern with me is as the levels creep up it goes more
excessive .

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Some of the urea or oil based creams I fear to use .
As feels like am on an ice skating rink after using them !

What do other members do after using these ?
For your safety when walking about .

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
like you @anna29 I don't use a lot of them because of petrolium based and most moisturisers are. I tend to go to the veggie oil. coconut, almond and olive are good

Lucyturner

I suffer very badly with dry skin, I also have psoriasis, so I know how much some creams can hurt and really sting. I have found that the dream cream from lush works really well. Get the original recipe one as they have just brought out a new one. It is about £10 for a tub but it lasts a long time, you don't need to use a lot as its not a thick cream. I have found it really helps with my dry skin and also calls down the itching. You can get a shower cream of it as well. Worked wonders for me. Hope you get it sorted.

Lucy

Reactions: 2 people

this is too difficult two

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My wife suffered from this for years. I noticed she was washing her hands in a funny way, (at least to me). I suggested she made sure the soap was fully lathered, hands rinsed beyond any chance of soap remaining and dried completely. She no longer has this problem. Might be worth a try.

hollyslot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Try to avoid water based products if possible .Olive oil is good for cleaning your hands and Vaseline is a good moisturizer and cheap If you cover your hands with it and put on rubber gloves before washing up this will help ,also use before bed and wear a pair of cotton gloves .Hope you get better soon
CAROL
thanks so much for the suggestions x

hollyslot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I suffer very badly with dry skin, I also have psoriasis, so I know how much some creams can hurt and really sting. I have found that the dream cream from lush works really well. Get the original recipe one as they have just brought out a new one. It is about £10 for a tub but it lasts a long time, you don't need to use a lot as its not a thick cream. I have found it really helps with my dry skin and also calls down the itching. You can get a shower cream of it as well. Worked wonders for me. Hope you get it sorted.

Lucy
great, may try it out x