Another Newbie

toddytwo

Hi ,I'm Toddytwo another Newbie .
Im on meds for type two ,and have been in good balance for years .
However after a coronary artery spasm caused a heart attack last year the hospital changed my meds and added new heart meds and now my readings are regularly up between 8 and 12 .
I've joined hoping someone can suggest a way to get them down naturally ,I really dont want more tablets.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Hi Toddy ,and welcome to the forum.Can you tell us something about your diet so then we can make suggestions.

toddytwo

Hi sugarless sue
thanks for the reply ,heres an example of the last week

b'fast Porridge or toast with low fat spread .
mid morning fruit
lunch vegetable soup or salad
mid aft fruit
dinner baked potato with stir fry veg /fish and rice with veg / potatoes ,veg and chicken
supper date and wholemeal scone

drinks tea,fruit and barley water

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
You could reduce the portions of starchy carbs in your diet by,reducing the amounts of Bread,Potatoes,pasta ,rice and flour based products an see if this has an affect on your blood sugar levels.Have you discussed with your doctor any likely side effects of your new medications on your blood sugars?

toddytwo

Not yet ,as though he's a good doctor ,he can be rather pill happy ,so I'm hoping to help myself as much as I can before I go back to him .

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
If you want to can you tell me the names of the pills that you are on?

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Hi toddyto
I noticed in your reply to Sue that you use low fat spread
she correctly told you that a reduced carb diet is often helpful in blood sugar control. I would just like to add that you don't need to worry about low fat. Fats are not an issue for diabetics unless they eat a lot of carbs. If you are not sure about carbs, read my Carbohydrates 101&102 posts.

toddytwo

:D Mmm , let me see choccie...................................no , I don't Think so :lol:
Thanks for giving me details
toddytwo

toddytwo

hi sugarless sue
:) Shake Rattle and Roll tally :)
Adizem 300 mg
Aspirin 75 mg
Clopidogrel 75 mg
Levothyroxine 100 mg
Metformin 500 mg x 2
Omeprazole 20 mg
Ramipril 10 mg
Simvastatin 40 mg

I was taken off Glimepiride ,50mg (extra) thyroxine ,and Flecainide Acetate just after my heart attack .
be lucky
Toddytwo

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Haven't seen anything there that definitely states that it raises blood sugars.Anyone else know different?

Trinkwasser

If the thyroxine is insufficient to bring the TSH and especially T3 and T4 back in range, as it often isn't, this can result in higher BG among many other things. Many authorities don't seem to think controlling thryoid sufficiently is useful. Many patients who move to an area where this is treated more aggressively would disagree with them.

mrsorange

Type of diabetes
Type 1
:D Hi Toddytwo, I've just joined too and am reading all I can about low carbing.

Its a great site and a wealth of information, it's just taking me ages to read all the threads!

mrs o x

toddytwo

Many thanks for the Low Carb advice :D
I've tried it out for a few days ,and my bloods are down a couple of points already ,thanks so much :D

Hiya Hayley ,nice to see you too :D
its taking me ages too ,but well worth it :D
toddytwo

jonny seddon

Hi Toddy
i am Jonny, i am new to all this diabetes stuff, i have only been diagnosed for a week but i am type 1 diabetes.
what do you eat in a day?
If you eat to much chocolate or really fatty foods maybe you should cut down on sum of that or do so more exercise!

jonny :D

toddytwo

Thanks Jonny ,I still attend heart rehab gym classes twice a week and also Aquarobics each week too ,and as for chocolate and fatty food ,I 've had diabetes since 2000 so knew my limitations and had it well controlled untill my heart attack last september ,when my meds were totally changed .
I also have three dogs to walk ,so would say I'm fairly fit .
Still the new low carb advice given on here is helping no end ,hope it helps you too .
best wishes
toddytwo

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
Hi all

New to this forum but not to T2 diabetes - about 13 years. My highest ever HbA1c was 6.6 and the last one was 6.2. No sign of any complications - was told I have the eyes of a 25 year old which, at 55, is good to hear! Since diag I have kept away from sugars but not from carbs - usually potatoes, pasta, granary or sourdough bread and, sometimes, basmati rice. My bp is well controlled by medication. My total cholesterol is well controlled by simvastatin - although I would like to see my HDL a bit higher. Incidentally, I was part of the lipid arm of the ASCOT study that was terminated early because of the overwhelming evidence of the improved coronary outcomes due to statins.

Hana earlier said that fats are no problem for diabetics but people are rarely only diabetics - they often have other health issues that are not so straightforward as far as fats are concerned. Evangelistic dietary advice needs to be cognisant of the whole person and come with caveats, in my view.

By the way, the illness learning curve has begun again for me - I was diagnosed last July with Parkinson's Disease, but not on medication as yet.

Doug